SETUP/INSTALLATION FAQ - 5600 RRS feed

• General discussion

• Q: What are the system requirements for Vista?
    A: A mid or high-end class of processor is recommended. Any mainstream processor shipping in 2005 will provide a good experience.
    512 MB of system RAM or more, 1GB is recommended for power users
    DirectX 9 capable graphics card
    Another good resource for determining your systems ability to run Windows Vista is the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor, available here.

Q: When upgrading, would it be better to use a clean image of XP or one that has been used for a while and has other Microsoft or third-party software installed?
    A: We want to track any possible issues with upgrading, so if possible please upgrade from an XP image that has all of your apps installed, settings applied, and any other custom configuration you would normally have if the machine were a production machine.

Q: How much free space is needed to upgrade from XP to Vista?
    A: Windows Vista will require 8.5 GB free disk space to install on an x86 system.

Q: If we upgrade from XP to Vista will we be able to downgrade back to Windows XP?
    A: No, this is why we ask that before you upgrade, please backup/make an image of your existing XP installation.

Q: Should we try the upgrade with an antivirus app installed?
    A: Yes, you should try this as we want to hear about any compatibility issues when upgrading.

Q: Why did my setup fail?
    A: This could be due to many reasons, but what is recommended, is for you to burn at 1x or 2x speeds, and after the burn run the CRC check utility to prevent this from happening

Q: Why do I get an Error 0x80072F78 (or similar number) during online activation?
    A: A few common factors may be causing this error:
    1. The system's date/time is incorrectly set.
    2. The machine needs to be able to access remote ports 80 and 443.
    3. Disconnect any USB drives during online activation.

Q: How do I get around the error message "An error occurred while configuring the windows foundation image?"
    A: Prior to installing the OS, disable or remove non-essential devices, such as USB and Firewire drives, secondary video cards, printers, etc.

Q: Why doesn't Auto Activation work? I chose this option during setup, but I still get alerts telling me that I have X number of days to activate Vista.
    A: The Auto Activation feature can take up to 3 days after setup to kick into action. This should give most users enough time to get their machine configured and network-enabled.

Monday, September 11, 2006 10:02 PM

All replies

• During the first setup, I was told to uninstall McAfee  virus scan 2006 10.0. So I had to come out of setup to do this, and only then during setup for the second time was I allowed to proceed.
    Tuesday, September 12, 2006 1:19 PM
  • On boot up the screen "Windows Activation comes on with a blue background. It say my key has expired? I got the key before I downloaded RC1 and put it in on installation. I burned the ISO CD at 1x. If I try to reinstall it says the upgrade is enabled....What do I do next Help!!!
    Tuesday, September 12, 2006 4:41 PM
  • Where Can I Get My key I recently suscribed to technet, they also provided the link for me to download, but they never gave a link to activate the product, I even had to download it again (in process) because it said fatal error, maybe you could help me, since I don't know if it activates by itself, I have to get the key (which I don't know where to get it) or something else, I hope you help me.
    Tuesday, September 12, 2006 6:09 PM
  • I think you will have to wait until the Customer Preview Program reopens to get a key.
    Tuesday, September 12, 2006 8:00 PM
  • for some reason, every time I try to install RC1, it cannot find the file "install.wim", and it seems to be looking on the wrong drive (f: instead of e:).  I downloaded it from here and the burn was verified - I checked the disk and the file is on the disk, the installer just keeps looking on the wrong drive for it.  even when I disabled that drive in my bios I can't get it to work.  any offers?

Thabks for helping.

Monday, September 18, 2006 5:30 AM
  • for some reason, every time I try to install RC1, it cannot find the file "install.wim", and it seems to be looking on the wrong drive (f: instead of e:).  I downloaded it from here and the burn was verified - I checked the disk and the file is on the disk, the installer just keeps looking on the wrong drive for it.  even when I disabled that drive in my bios I can't get it to work.  any offers?

Thanks for helping.

Monday, September 18, 2006 5:31 AM
  • Here's an ugly, but surefire way to fix the problem you're having - crack open the case, disconnect the drive in question, boot and install. Since the drive no longer exists, it can't exactly get distracted and start looking for files...

BIOS's can be kind of funny at times. For instance, I tried installing Vista and told it to boot from the DVD - it wouldn't. I had to go into the BIOS and force it to boot from the DVD by telling it to boot from there and removed ALL other options from the list. It finally booted from the DVD - but here's the thing - when Vista rebooted the first time, it tried booting from the DVD but since I didn't press any key to boot from there, it STILL managed to boot from the hard drive and complete the installation of RC1. You would THINK that it would have simply failed to boot once it got done with the initial install process. Eh.. Go figure.

The point here is that just because a drive is disabled in the BIOS, doesn't mean that the OS can't find it. Simply unplug it, try the install again. Just don't forget to reconnect it once you've got it installed.

Monday, September 25, 2006 1:35 PM
  • Hi there!

I tried installing Vista at my home computer (Windows XP Media Center, Dell XPS200, Pentium D @ 2.4 GHz, 1GB RAM, 250 GB HDD (abt 150 free), 256MB ATI Radeon X1600). I elect to download the image, matched the MD5sum, burned the DVD and verified it. When I try to install it, in the second step (gathering files at 6%) it throws an empty MessageBox with "Error" title, but no text inside it (only the big red X). if I click OK I receive no further information, setup continues for about 10 minutes until finally it says I cannot continue. It repro's consistently. I certainly didn't have this problem with previous Vista installations.

I would be happy to send more detailed error logs, however I wasn't able to find it. No errors were seen in eventvwr, or the regular logs. I appreciate your advise or help in advance.

Best regards,Rafael

Monday, November 6, 2006 3:19 AM
  • Where can I get Serial Number to Vista?
    Tuesday, November 14, 2006 2:27 PM
  •  Eldar666 wrote:
    Where can I get Serial Number to Vista?

Dude.. I think you've totally missed the boat. Given Vista was released to manufacturing last week, the beta and preview program are pretty much done for.

So... Unless you're working for a company that's planning an upgrade to Vista in the next few months, you're only option will be to wait until January and the public release.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 10:24 AM
  • So, is there a way to install a "clean" vista in another directory?
    mine does not work....
    i try to install to my 2nd partition on 2nd harddisk. (the only place with sufficient space). after installation, reboot stopped complaining "cannot find \windows\system32\winload.exe...."
    i am NOT going to touch my existing XP partition (by the way, if vista need to be on first partition of first disk, sorry, my xp is not on first partition too )
    if i had "upgraded" my xp, i afraid i cannot type this message at the first place...
    lol.

Friday, November 24, 2006 9:16 AM
  • Vista "should" be installable to any partition - provided it's accessible in the same manner as when you installed it. By that, I mean, you didn't change the drive order or drive configuration between boots. If the partition is the 2nd partition on the 2nd drive, and you haven't messed with it, then it SHOULD (in theory, anyhow) work. At least, under XP and previous flavors of NT, it would have. The Boot.ini file would have used a UNC listing to pinpoint where each OS in the boot menu is located. Vista, on the other hand changed a few things around.

Can you get Vista to boot into safe mode (or any other recovery mode) at boot up? If you can, there may be a way to get to the boot settings and verify that it's pointed at the correct drive/partition.

Personally, when I installed, I disconnected all of the hard drives (there's 3 of them) except the target for the installation. After installing and rebooting, I shut it down and reconnected the other drives to their respective controllers. I set the boot priority in the BIOS to the Vista drive and after yet another quick reboot (Vista found new hardware, and had to restart itself again), I had access to the other Vista (beta 2) partition and the XP partition. When I want a different OS, I simply change the boot priority in the BIOS and start it up. Yes, it's a kludgy way of going about it, but it does work rather nicely.

Friday, November 24, 2006 2:00 PM
  • I have troubles installing Vista release.

Clean install works on separate IDE disk.

Upgrade from XP failed and I cant recover it.

XP was on SATA Raid 1 (Sil3114 - driver was updated before XP-Vista upgrade).

If I boot PC having Vista disc in DVD drive - it goes to menu like Vista and Vista (recovered). First is clean one and boots ok. Recovered if you choose it - goes to Safe Mode ... Normal Boot menu.

If you choose Safe Mode - it loads but in the middle it says - Cant install Vista in Safe Mode (means upgrade from XP wasnt finished)

If you choose Normal boot - it rolls green progress bar for a while and then fall out BSOD with IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (I tried to disable some ports and PCI slots hoping to remove some possible IRQ conflict but didnt help).

If you boot without Vista disk in drive you get menu - Previous Windows .. Vista. If you choose previous - you get old menu with 2 items - Xp and Xp 64 (I had 2 XP before upgrade). x64 still works ok. If you choose 32 Xp (which I was tried to upgrade) it gets nothere - just no disk activity and monitor flashing in stand-by...

If you choose Vista - you get the broken one and you go straight to BSOD in a while after.

So what I need - at first - is to be able to load working Vista not having disk all the time (which could be temporary solution until I get fixed Xp upgrade) <edit: I found sequence of harddisks to boot in my Bios. This porblem now solved - if you set IDE HD first then you have 2 Vistas in the menu, if Raid - then you have Earlier version and broken Vista>

Second step - to finish XP upgrade properly. I can see some structure on old XP disk. Seems like everything OK I just need to fix IRQ problem to let installation to get through and it should work. But I have no idea where to start.

I am developer and not sysadmin. But I need this thing asap to be done. I have number of files which now are 'hybernated' by installation.

I am MSDN subscriber and have 4 incidents available still.

What would be the fastest way to get support from Microsoft here? 

Will appreciate proper advice

Thank you

P.S. I tried 'repair' option on the disk but none of options works. Repair said - Boot configuration is corrupt. error 0x490. Rollback and full recovery said - there is no backup disk or checkpoints (or something like that).

P.P.S. Here the output from bcdedit:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Administrator>bcdedit.exe

Windows Boot Manager
    --------------------
    identifier              {bootmgr}
    device                  partition=C:
    description             Windows Boot Manager
    locale                  en-US
    inherit                 {globalsettings}
    default                 {current}
    resumeobject            {1d2b8527-7be0-11db-abde-9dd7dc012c27}
    displayorder            {current}
                            {23ae823a-7b73-11db-9209-a286cda36127}
    toolsdisplayorder       {memdiag}
    timeout                 20

Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------
    identifier              {current}
    device                  partition=C:
    path                    \Windows\system32\winload.exe
    description             Microsoft Windows Vista
    locale                  en-US
    inherit                 {bootloadersettings}
    osdevice                partition=C:
    systemroot              \Windows
    resumeobject            {1d2b8527-7be0-11db-abde-9dd7dc012c27}
    nx                      OptIn

Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------
    identifier              {23ae823a-7b73-11db-9209-a286cda36127}
    device                  partition=H:
    path                    \Windows\system32\winload.exe
    description             Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate (recovered)
    osdevice                partition=H:
    systemroot              \Windows

P.P.P.S. Here is ntbtlog.txt after trying to boot upgrading Vista:

Microsoft (R) Windows (R) Version 6.0 (Build 6000)
    11 24 2006 01:05:12.484
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\hal.dll
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\kdcom.dll
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\PSHED.dll
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\BOOTVID.dll
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\CLFS.SYS
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\CI.dll
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\Wdf01000.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\WDFLDR.SYS
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\acpi.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\WMILIB.SYS
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\msisadrv.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\pci.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\volmgr.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\mountmgr.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\volmgrx.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\nvata.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\si3114r5.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\SCSIPORT.SYS
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\fltmgr.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\fileinfo.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\siwinacc.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\ndis.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\msrpc.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\NETIO.SYS
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\ksecdd.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\volsnap.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\spldr.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\siremfil.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\partmgr.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\mup.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\ecache.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\fvevol.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\disk.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\CLASSPNP.SYS
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys
    Did not load driver @nettun.inf,%isatap.displayname%;Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Did not load driver @nettun.inf,%tunmp.displayname%;Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter
    Did not load driver @hal.inf,%acpiapic.devicedesc%;ACPI x86-based PC
    Did not load driver @netrasa.inf,%mp-l2tp-dispname%;WAN Miniport (L2TP)
    Did not load driver @netrasa.inf,%mp-ip-dispname%;WAN Miniport (IP)
    Did not load driver @netrasa.inf,%mp-ipv6-dispname%;WAN Miniport (IPv6)
    Did not load driver @netrasa.inf,%mp-pppoe-dispname%;WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
    Did not load driver @netrasa.inf,%mp-pptp-dispname%;WAN Miniport (PPTP)
    Did not load driver @nettun.inf,%tunmp.displayname%;Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter
    Did not load driver @cpu.inf,%amdk8.devicedesc%;AMD K8 Processor
    Did not load driver @oem39.inf,%alcaud.desc%;Realtek AC'97 Audio
    Did not load driver @netnvm32.inf,%nvenet.devicedesc.ck04%;NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
    Did not load driver @msports.inf,%*pnp0501.devicedesc%;Communications Port
    Did not load driver @msports.inf,%*pnp0401.devicedesc%;ECP Printer Port
    Did not load driver @oem45.inf,%nvmpu.devicedesc%;NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) MIDI UART
    Did not load driver @gameport.inf,%pnpb02f.devicedesc%;Unsupported Standard Game Port
    Did not load driver @netnvm32.inf,%nvenet.devicedesc.ck04%;NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
    Did not load driver @oem45.inf,%nvmpu.devicedesc%;NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) MIDI UART
    Did not load driver @gameport.inf,%pnpb02f.devicedesc%;Unsupported Standard Game Port
    Did not load driver @oem16.inf,%gdi23880.video%;Black Gold Signature Video Capture
    Did not load driver @oem17.inf,%gditsbda.devicedesc%;Black Gold Signature BDA TS Capture
    Did not load driver @netmyk01.inf,%yukon.devicedesc4320%;Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    Did not load driver FireGL V3200 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)
    Did not load driver FireGL V3200 Secondary (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)
    Did not load driver @oem16.inf,%gdi23880.video%;Black Gold Signature Video Capture
    Did not load driver @oem17.inf,%gditsbda.devicedesc%;Black Gold Signature BDA TS Capture
    Did not load driver @netmyk01.inf,%yukon.devicedesc4320%;Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\usbohci.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\usbehci.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ohci1394.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ASACPI.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\fdc.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\i8042prt.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mouclass.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\kbdclass.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\msiscsi.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\rdpdr.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\termdd.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\swenum.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\circlass.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mssmbios.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\umbus.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\usbhub.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\flpydisk.sys
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Fs_Rec.SYS
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Null.SYS
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Beep.SYS
    Did not load driver kbdhid.SYS
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\vga.sys
    Did not load driver RDPCDD.SYS
    Did not load driver RDPENCDD.SYS
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Msfs.SYS
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Npfs.SYS
    Did not load driver RasAcd.SYS
    Did not load driver Tcpip.SYS
    Did not load driver tdx.SYS
    Did not load driver Smb.SYS
    Did not load driver AFD.SYS
    Did not load driver netbt.SYS
    Did not load driver PSched.SYS
    Did not load driver NetBIOS.SYS
    Did not load driver Serial.SYS
    Did not load driver Wanarpv6.SYS
    Did not load driver rdbss.SYS
    Did not load driver nsiproxy.SYS
    Did not load driver CSC.SYS
    Did not load driver DfsC.SYS
    Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\hidusb.sys

Friday, November 24, 2006 8:21 PM