Possible inaccurate reporting on systems needed updates RRS feed

• Question

• On my WSUS server

OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Standard Evaluation
    OS Version:                10.0.14393 N/A Build 14393
    OS Manufacturer:           Microsoft Corporation
    OS Configuration:          Standalone Server

WSUS reports various computers needing updates. I then go to said computers and run Windows Updates, and they gleefully report no updates needed.

I then follow up with wuauclt /detectnow /reportnow and wait a bit; then refresh the WSUS console to see if there are changes. Sometimes there is and other times not.

I then go back to a given computer and click on Check Microsoft for updates, and hey, look there are updates to be had. And the count of updates needed either is the same, or different by some number. I did notice that a small amount of difference was due to superseded updates still being listed by WSUS.

What is the fix for this? I find it rather disturbing that things just seem imbalanced here.

Thursday, January 5, 2017 7:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

On the WSUS server, please run Server Cleanup Wizard, it may help remove superseded updates.

Then run wuauclt/detectnow on the WSUS clients, check if these clients will report to the WSUS server then. And check if the report result is correct.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 6, 2017 6:38 AM
  • Hi,

Just to check if the above reply could be of help? If yes, you may mark useful reply as answer, if not, feel free to feedback.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 2:11 AM