none
Host Integration Server 2010 : Issue reading special character € with Session Integrator RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm developing a solution that uses Session Integrator technology included in HIS 2010 to interact with the mainframe using Screen Scrapping.

During the test, I have found an issue trying to parse a screen which contains a € character. If this character is found in the screen, the session hangs and remains in a locked status until the session object is disposed. I have tried with several code pages and the behavior is always the same.

Please, can you tell me how can I fix this issue?

Regards.

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 12:18 PM

Answers

• Just to provide an update on this. A fix has been provided for Session Integrator on HIS 2010 to handle this scenario. This is basically the same fix that already exists in HIS 2009 to deal with invalid 3270 control codes. This is described in the following article:

2509870 FIX: Session Integrator returns a "The screen is unformatted, no field exists" exception when it processes an invalid 3270 control code in a Microsoft Host Integration Server 2009 environment
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2509870/EN-US

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 8:48 PM

All replies

• It looks like this is a bug in Session Integrator in HIS 2010. If you want to see about getting a fix, you would need to open a support case. If you are not familiar with opening HIS support cases, go to https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?Gprid=782&st=1&wfxredirect=1&sd=gn&wfxredirect=1, choose the HIS version, and then step through the wizard. If your company doesn't have a support contract, you will have to choose a payment option. If the issue is a HIS bug, then you will be refunded the cost of the support case. If your company has a support contract, you can go use the normal process that your company uses to open support cases.

Also, the problem does not appear to occur in the Beta release of HIS 2013. If you want to give this a try, you can download the HIS 2013 Beta from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35553. Choose the HIS2013Beta.exe package to download. The final version of HIS 2013 is scheduled to be released sometime during the first-half of 2013. Session Integrator has been updated in HIS 2013 to use managed code.  

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 8:47 PM
  • Hello Stephen.

Thank you very much for the details. My company has a support contact so I think we are going to open a case with the incidence. In parallel, I have one doubt, can we try to use HIS 2013 beta side by side with BizTalk 2010? We are only using Session Integrator api to connect with the mainframe so if it's possible we can do a try with HIS 2013 beta until the final release is out.

Thank you in advance.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 8:28 AM
  • If you are just using the Session Integrator feature of HIS 2013, then this doesn't interact with BizTalk Server at all. Therefore, you should be fine using the HIS 2013 Beta on a system that also had BizTalk Server 2010. If you want to also use the HIS specific BizTalk Adapters, then BizTalk Server 2013 is the supported scenario.

The only possible issue might be some of the pre-requisites that HIS 2013 has that might impact a BizTalk Server 2010 system. For example, .NET Framework 4 is required for HIS 2013.

I also see that you got the support case opened and one of my EMEA colleagues is working on the case.

Thanks... 

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 2:23 PM
  • Hi, just chipping in: I know that we don't correctly handle the character (actually it looks like a problem with different code pages), but I couldn't get the Session to "hang".

You say that it goes into the locked status - did you look at the OIA to determine this? Did you try a SendKey(Reset)? Were you doing a WaitForContent when the hang ocurred, and if so, did you include the Euro sign in the string used as a parameter?

Rob

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 5:09 PM
  • Hi,

Have you also tried the codepage EBCDIC International + € 1148 ?

Best Regards,

Steve Melan - BCEE My Blog : http://stevemelan.wordpress.com

Thursday, February 14, 2013 5:27 PM
  • Hi all,

Thank you very much for your help. I'll try to explain the issue with more detail. Before mounting the middeware based on BizTalk/ HIS, the client has been using an emulator called QWS3270 to interact with the mainframe. Using this emulator, when a operator types a € sign in the screen, it's automatically replaced with an unknown and unexpected wildcard 'タ', and when this character in read with the emulator, it's presented as a € sign to the operator.

The problem that we can not handle is that when the SessionIntegrator API reads this character in the mainframe, it hangs and is not able to read the rest of the screen. In addition, the session keeps locked. We could accept skipping the character or reading a wildcard, but not to stop reading the rest of the screen and let the session locked.

We have opened a support case with Microsoft but for now we have no solution to the problem.

Could someone tell me if this issue should be resolved in HIS 2013 beta? In this case, we can think seriously to migrate to this version.

Thank you very much again.

Regards.

• Edited by ohawari Wednesday, February 20, 2013 7:24 PM
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 7:14 PM
  • Just to provide an update on this. A fix has been provided for Session Integrator on HIS 2010 to handle this scenario. This is basically the same fix that already exists in HIS 2009 to deal with invalid 3270 control codes. This is described in the following article:

2509870 FIX: Session Integrator returns a "The screen is unformatted, no field exists" exception when it processes an invalid 3270 control code in a Microsoft Host Integration Server 2009 environment
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2509870/EN-US

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 8:48 PM