SCCM 2012 Management Point Rotates back to SCCM 2007 Management Point RRS feed

• Question

• Im in the process of  migrating my SCCM 2007 hierarchy to SCCM 2012. Current SCCM 2012 hierarchy consist of 1 primary site, and 3 distribution point server sites at remote locations.

I created content location boundary groups for each site, but have not created any site assignment boundary groups to prevent any overlapping issues. (Will create one when all sites and devices are fully migrated to SCCM 2012)

Can someone tell why my SCCM 2012 SP1 clients are rotating back to our SCCM 2007 management point? Now I know in 2012 management points rotate if you have more than one MP, but how is it able to discover the 2007 management point?

Thanks,

Bern

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 1:50 PM

Answers

• MP issue has been resolved. Problem was caused by our current WSUS GPO policy pointing back to our 2007 SCCM server. However, even after modfiying GPO I had to reinstall the SCCM 2012 client back on the machines affected to rotate back to 2012 MP. I know there's probably a way to rotate the MP's back without re-installing the client, but I just haven't figured it our yet.

• Proposed as answer by Garth JonesMVP Sunday, February 22, 2015 5:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by Garth JonesMVP Sunday, November 1, 2015 4:08 PM
    Thursday, August 8, 2013 7:06 PM

All replies

• Should not happen. What do the logs tell? What objects are in the System Management Container?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 4:57 PM
  • Hey Torsten,

I checked the clientlocation.log on one of the client machines, and it starts off pointing to the correct MP on SCCM 2012. However, after a few hours it points back to the teh SCCM 2007 MP. This is what the log files show below.

LSGetSiteCodeFromWMI,'

LSRotateAssignedManagemntPoint

Old MP index is 0, new index should be: 1

Rotating assignment rotating assigned management point, new management is : MPForSCCM2007.Domain.com(entered dummy hostnames)

LSUpdateHomeMPinWMI

LSGetSiteCodeFromWMI.

LSGetSiteCodeFromWMI: Site Code returned from WMI is <PS1>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the objects that are in System Management. I have SCCM 2012 Primary, and all three distribution point servers in thw System Management (SM) container. However, I still have all the SCCM 2007 Primary Site and Secondary Sites still in there. Should I take them out of the SM container?

Thanks,

Paul

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 7:35 PM
  • Did you ever get to the bottom of this issue? We are seeing very similar symptoms with the clients "rotating" back to the CM07 MP after a while.

I'm leaning towards this being an AD/DNS publishing issue, as we're seeing the problem on a new site which has never been covered by CM07 and so has certainly no overlapping boundary issues. The objects in the System Management container (and DNS for that matter) look OK, but I believe we do need both CM07 and CM12 objects in there simultaniously as our migration progresses.

Cheers,

Andrew

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 8:42 AM
  • I am seeing the same thing after manually installing the client and assigning it to the 2012 MP.  I have my boundaries from 2007 migrated to 2012 but my boundary groups are only set up for content location.  But after some time the 2012 clients rotate back to the 2007 MP.
    • Edited by JayScovill Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:43 PM edit
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:41 PM
  • MP issue has been resolved. Problem was caused by our current WSUS GPO policy pointing back to our 2007 SCCM server. However, even after modfiying GPO I had to reinstall the SCCM 2012 client back on the machines affected to rotate back to 2012 MP. I know there's probably a way to rotate the MP's back without re-installing the client, but I just haven't figured it our yet.

• Proposed as answer by Garth JonesMVP Sunday, February 22, 2015 5:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by Garth JonesMVP Sunday, November 1, 2015 4:08 PM
    Thursday, August 8, 2013 7:06 PM