Exchange dial-tone method RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm testing the dial tone restoration for Exchange.

1 DC and 2 Exchange server 2003 SP2 std (EXCH1 and EXCH2)

First test :

I unmount the mailbox store of EXCH1 and i do a dial-tone restoration on EXCH2 (modification of msExchHomeServerName, MDBhome MTAhome  with the EXCH2 attribut). Then, users can access their "new empty mailbox" in the EXCH2.
    It's OK.

Second test :

I turn off the EXCH1 server and do the same modification of AD attributes. Users can't open their Oultook and mailbox refuse to be create on the EXCH2.
    If if do this test by turning of EXCH2, the problem is still here (i thinked it was the RUS on the EXCH1 that could have block the dial-tone or something like that !).

Do you know where the problem is ? Is there a way to make it working with a server off ? An AD attribut to modify ?

Thank you.

Yann
    Monday, April 12, 2010 8:04 AM

Answers

•  As a best practice in developing an Exchange disaster recovery or site resilience plan, it is recommended that you design the plan to avoid re-homing mailboxes by changing homeMDB, homeMTA, and msExchHomeServer attributes. Re-homing existing mailboxes not only makes it likely that in transit messages will be lost, but it also introduces additional complexity into a recovery plan by requiring updates or reconfiguration of infrastructure services such as routing tables, Active Directory, and DNS

----------Refer to <Advanced Recovery Strategies>

Could the users open mailbox via OWA? Please avoid re-homing the mailboxes by modifying the AD attributes

James Luo
    TechNet Subscriber Support (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/ms788697.aspx)
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    • Proposed as answer by Alan.Gim Tuesday, April 20, 2010 1:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alan.Gim Wednesday, April 21, 2010 1:44 AM
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 3:13 AM

All replies

•  As a best practice in developing an Exchange disaster recovery or site resilience plan, it is recommended that you design the plan to avoid re-homing mailboxes by changing homeMDB, homeMTA, and msExchHomeServer attributes. Re-homing existing mailboxes not only makes it likely that in transit messages will be lost, but it also introduces additional complexity into a recovery plan by requiring updates or reconfiguration of infrastructure services such as routing tables, Active Directory, and DNS

----------Refer to <Advanced Recovery Strategies>

Could the users open mailbox via OWA? Please avoid re-homing the mailboxes by modifying the AD attributes

James Luo
    TechNet Subscriber Support (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/ms788697.aspx)
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    • Proposed as answer by Alan.Gim Tuesday, April 20, 2010 1:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alan.Gim Wednesday, April 21, 2010 1:44 AM
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 3:13 AM
  • Hi,

Can you kindly share the goal of the test which can provide more value for others.?

With Best Regards Anbu
    Sunday, April 18, 2010 5:48 PM