List of styles in Style Pane aren't the same as in my normal template... RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone help?  I have customised the styles in my style pane and have set them to appear the same in any new documents based on that template and I have also set my normal template to show those same styles however every time I create a new document the list of styles change.  For example, I only want to see Heading1, Heading 2 and Heading 3 and everytime I create a new document, all the Heading styles appear!  Very frustrating!  What am I doing wrong????
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 12:31 AM

Answers

• Note that, by default, many styles are set to "Hide Until Used," which means that they will display in the Styles pane once they have been applied to text. You will have to explicitly hide all styles except the ones you actually want to show. On the Recommend tab of the Manage Styles dialog box, click Select All, and then click Hide. Then choose to show the styles that you actually want shown. Don't forget selecting "New documents based on this template" before clicking OK.

On the other hand, if you are already doing something similar to what I have described above, and it still doesn't work, something may be preventing you from saving to normal.dotm. Have you tried opening the Normal template as a document and making the changes there?

Stefan Blom
    Microsoft Word MVP

Can anyone help?  I have customised the styles in my style pane and have set them to appear the same in any new documents based on that template and I have also set my normal template to show those same styles however every time I create a new document the list of styles change.  For example, I only want to see Heading1, Heading 2 and Heading 3 and everytime I create a new document, all the Heading styles appear!  Very frustrating!  What am I doing wrong????

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Monday, September 13, 2010 2:21 AM
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 6:53 PM