New WSUS server, "no client computers have contacted the server" RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 2012R2 server and I have run through the installation of WSUS using the MS step by Step guide.
    It connects to MS upstream and has synchronized nicely for over a week.
    I have a GPO pointing systems to this WSUS server. They are getting/applying the GPO and I see that the WSUS server name is correct on the client.
    The Server/clients are on the same VLAN/subnet there is no firewall, and windows firewall is not enabled.
    I have rebooted the systems several times.
    I have tried the listed commands to connect the client to the server, but none have contacted the WSUS server as yet.
    When I try update services on the client I get this error "Windows could not search for new updates" Error code 80244019.
    I found some info on that, saying BITS is not running, or update services is not running, both are.
    Getting kinda frustrated here, any ideas?

Thursday, September 17, 2015 6:01 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I would like you to provide more information:

• How do you specify your WSUS server in GPO? By IP address? hostname? Full Qualified Domain Name?
    • Can you clients ping to the WSUS server by IP/hostname/FQDN?
    • Can you clients ping to some Internet hosts, ex. www.yahoo.com or www.google.com?
    • Could you check status of "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" in your clients, is it started?
    • Would you check WindowsUpdate.log under %SystemRoot% ( usually drive C:\Windows) in your clients?
    • Microsoft released a troubleshooting guide for Windows Update client issue, please refer it as below

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/gg153542.aspx

• Proposed as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Tuesday, September 22, 2015 8:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Sunday, October 11, 2015 7:25 AM
    Tuesday, September 22, 2015 6:15 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I would like you to provide more information:

• How do you specify your WSUS server in GPO? By IP address? hostname? Full Qualified Domain Name?
    • Can you clients ping to the WSUS server by IP/hostname/FQDN?
    • Can you clients ping to some Internet hosts, ex. www.yahoo.com or www.google.com?
    • Could you check status of "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" in your clients, is it started?
    • Would you check WindowsUpdate.log under %SystemRoot% ( usually drive C:\Windows) in your clients?
    • Microsoft released a troubleshooting guide for Windows Update client issue, please refer it as below

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/gg153542.aspx

• Proposed as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Tuesday, September 22, 2015 8:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Sunday, October 11, 2015 7:25 AM
    Tuesday, September 22, 2015 6:15 AM
  • Hi John,

Error 80244019 means HTTP 404.

Have you appended the port 8530 after the URL of the server?

WSUS changes the default port after v6.2(Windows server 2012)

Here is the screenshot of my lab:

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 8:55 AM