none
Capture New Wim File RRS feed

• Question

• Just build a new reference windows 10 1703.

and trying to patch before capture, but getting an error windows update 800704cf.

Has anyone seen this before?

Thank you.

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 6:08 PM

All replies

• Hi there Ogeccut

The description (or details) of error 0x800704CF is "The network location cannot be reached. For information about network troubleshooting, see Windows Help." but that's not terribly helpful

• I presume you're doing this in Hyper-V or have otherwise added the appropriate drivers?
    • Is it actually downloading & applying updates?
    • Did you apply updates offline in WinPE?
    • If you can reliably reproduce - which I assume you can - go ahead and add '/debug:true' to the Windows Update command line.
    • Can you upload your logs, specifically smsts.log, ZTIWindowsUpdate and WindowsUPdate.log (generated by the get-windowsupdate cmdlet) to OneDrive and send us a link?

Now to answer your question, I can reproduce this error myself doing a Build & Capture of 1703 using MDT 8443.

I noticed this in my first 1703 B&C about a week ago but didn't give it much thought

After your post I dug into this by pausing the TS, manually ran ZTIWindowsUpdate.wsf and confirmed it failed the same way:

At this point I opened Windows Update and it said I was up to date:

However after clicking check the updates, it too failed with 800704CF:

The WindowsUpdateClient event log is filled with Event ID's 25 & 26: Failure, Check for Updates, & Success, Check for Updates respectively.

I can reproduce this behavior whether or not I'm Installing Updates Offline, which in this case is KB4034674.

• Edited by JuliusPIV Monday, August 28, 2017 5:15 PM
    Tuesday, August 22, 2017 5:43 PM