none
The tab "Window" in MS Project always shows the same project no matter what project is selected. Why? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

We are using MS Project Professional 2007 with a Master schedule and a number of projects inserted into it.

At the top of MS Project there are a  number of tabs like FILE, EDIT, WINDOW

When I select Window it shows me NEW WINDOW, ARRANGE ALL, etc. and it also shows me Project A. The problem is it always shows me Project A in the WINDOW tab no matter what project I have up.

If I open Project 1 it shows Project A when I click on the Window tab.

If I open two projects it shows only Project A. If I open the Master file it shows Project A.

Question 1. Why does MS Project only show me this one file in the WINDOW tab?

Question 2. If I have a Master file open and Project 2 open what does show me what is in the foreground?

Thanks

Saturday, June 23, 2012 9:22 PM

Answers

• I guess I applaud you being able to get 500 people on the same project to use Project.  My experience is vastly different. I've found that few people really know how to use Project correctly and so to avoid the big issues and project risks caused with so many people using Project to compute different results (regardless of Service Pack), I've always limited Project use to only those qualified and trained (or at least with demonstrable ability) and be part official governance via being in the Project Planning/Controls/Cost/Schedule parts of the project organisation.  They release *results* of project cost/schedule planning in reports that in addition to having the "data" about a project, it also has "information" and "guidance" about what all the data really means.  Accordingly, from a technology perspective, we always make sure that everyone who uses Project uses exactly the same version and make sure (moving mountains with recalcitrant IT departments sometimes!) that is the case.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Monday, June 25, 2012 7:52 AM

All replies

• Is it Project 2007 SP3 ? 
    Saturday, June 23, 2012 10:39 PM
  • No. It is SP2

I have the exact same version of MS Project 2007 Professional SP2 on my home computer as what is on my work computer.

On my home computer it shows the file I am in when I select the Windows tab. On my work computer it shows Project A.

Our support area re-installed MS Project 2007 Professional SP2 on my computer Thursday which probably has something to do with it.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what caused it and what fixed it.

We send files to Client plus there are 5 of us that work on the same files and we are all on SP2. No one has this issue but me.

We also know that if one of us goes to SP3 while others are using SP2 it causes severe issues. We have experienced actuals shifting into the future in this scenario, etc.

Sunday, June 24, 2012 1:10 AM
  • >> Our support area re-installed MS Project 2007 Professional SP2 on my computer Thursday which probably has something to do with it.

So you have already fixed the issue by re-installing Project and you just want to find out what caused it.  Can you reproduce it ? 

Sunday, June 24, 2012 1:30 AM
  • why aren't you all using SP3?  why have self-inflicted bugs and flaws?

Sunday, June 24, 2012 6:58 AM
  • There is a huge project we are working on and the client has around 500 people that have all went to SP2 over time and they are located everywhere. It isn't as simple as one communication and everyone is on it and if even 1 person is on SP2 vs SP3 they will get different results with the data. That is just a painful fact.

We maintain a 2 million hour project.

As I said SP2 works fine for everyone but me so it probably has something to do with the install.

I will have our support area re-install MS Project like they did Thursday but just re-installing this may not work.

So..........I was trying to find out.....

if anyone else has had this issue and what caused it and what fixed it.

Sunday, June 24, 2012 2:05 PM
  • I guess I applaud you being able to get 500 people on the same project to use Project.  My experience is vastly different. I've found that few people really know how to use Project correctly and so to avoid the big issues and project risks caused with so many people using Project to compute different results (regardless of Service Pack), I've always limited Project use to only those qualified and trained (or at least with demonstrable ability) and be part official governance via being in the Project Planning/Controls/Cost/Schedule parts of the project organisation.  They release *results* of project cost/schedule planning in reports that in addition to having the "data" about a project, it also has "information" and "guidance" about what all the data really means.  Accordingly, from a technology perspective, we always make sure that everyone who uses Project uses exactly the same version and make sure (moving mountains with recalcitrant IT departments sometimes!) that is the case.

Monday, June 25, 2012 7:52 AM