Resource Monitor Does Not Start Properly RRS feed

• Question

• Not sure this is the correct section for this question.  Please advise:

I can "start" the Resource Monitor from Task Manager/Performance tab in Windows 7 SP1, but its window never forms completely, and no information is available from it.  The Task Manager/Applications tab says the Resource Monitor is running and allows me to shut it down, apparently successfully.

After several Google searches I finally hit on the correct keywords and found **many** other links to a similar problem over at least the last two years.  It appears to be a conflict between some versions of IE (and/or Windows updates for it) and Resource Monitor that shows up only in certain display modes.  For the record:

I am using IE 11.0.9600.16501.

It says it's KB3008923.

Yes, I'm using the "Classic" interface because it's familiar, clearer, and I strongly prefer it.

Yes, I've set the text size in to 125%, which I need to accommodate my vision.

I have verified that I can "correct" this Resource Monitor failure **either** by switching my "theme" to "Windows 7 Basic" **or** by changing the text size back to 100%.  Of the two, the first is the least disruptive, but Resource Monitor really should work independent of the theme/text size!

Surely Microsoft has solved this problem after two years!  Specific Questions:

1) Is the only solution still to ditch Internet Explorer 11 (or one of its updates)?

2) If so, is there a way to completely eliminate IE entirely without breaking Windows?  (I've never trusted IE and use FireFox for almost everything anyhow.)

3) Alternatively, is there either (a) a non-critical update for IE 11 that I can uninstall or (b) an older version of IE with which I can **safely** replace IE 11, either of which will solve this problem?

4) In the latter case, is there an accepted procedure for reverting to an earlier version of IE.

An update to the latest information on this problem would be much appreciated. -- JCW2

Sunday, January 18, 2015 3:59 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I don't think this problem is relate with Internet Explore. I made a test using Process Monitor to capture the trace of Openning Resource Monitor, its process would query IE process even IE was closed. Therefore, you can use Process Monitormake a same experiment with me to test if it is IE problem.

On the other hand, process monitor should be also helpful to help usfind the reason of this problem.

Process Monitor: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 9:35 AM
  • I don't think this problem is relate with Internet Explore...

On the other hand, process monitor should be also helpful to help usfind the reason of this problem.

Roger -- Thanks for your consideration.

1) I don't know that IE is the cause of this Resource Monitor failure, only that previous threads on the same issue have said so.

2) All I know first hand is that I can "correct" the problem **either** by switching my "theme" from my preferred "Classic" to "Windows 7 Basic" **or** by changing the text size from my needed 125% back to 100%.  Have you tried to duplicate this problem on your W7 machine?

3) Process Monitor is over my head unless you are willing to tell me exactly what kind of dump is needed and look at the dump results with me. -- JCW2

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 9:41 PM
  • If you end up figuring out that IE is the cause of the issue, and it happened after an update you can always revert your IE version in Windows update.

Navigate to Control Panel --> All Control Panel Items --> Programs and Features --> Then click the installed updates on the top left of that screen

Navigate to your Internet explorer, select it and click uninstall. After a reboot IE should be the previous version. You'll then have to make sure that Automatic Updates does not reinstall the newest version of IE. Good luck!

• Edited by Acreed02 Tuesday, January 20, 2015 9:51 PM
    Tuesday, January 20, 2015 9:50 PM
  • If you end up figuring out that IE is the cause of the issue, and it happened after an update you can always revert your IE version in Windows update.

Navigate to Control Panel --> All Control Panel Items --> Programs and Features --> Then click the installed updates on the top left of that screen

Navigate to your Internet explorer, select it and click uninstall. After a reboot IE should be the previous version. You'll then have to make sure that Automatic Updates does not reinstall the newest version of IE. Good luck!

Acreed02 -- Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately I haven't tried to use Resource Monitor in a **long** time (although I do know it was working just before I had to bare-metal restore to a new HD).  I see that IE 11 has been on-board since purchase (or first Windows Update) on 2/5/14.  I don't see any explicit updates for IE 11, however.  Surely there have been a bunch, but how do I identify them?

I'm afraid this avenue is not going to be very productive.  Anyhow, the update that caused the problem might have been a critical one, in which case what do I do?

Why isn't there more about this problem lately?  Is nobody else using the combination of view settings that I am anymore? -- JCW2

• Edited by JCW2 Wednesday, January 21, 2015 2:35 AM
    Wednesday, January 21, 2015 1:02 AM
  • Hi,

To use Process monitor capture the trace, you can follow the steps below:

Open Promon, set filter as following screenshot:

After that, prepare to start Resource Monitor, Promon would begain to capture it process trace. Then, check the process result if there is an unusual.

Roger Lu

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 2:11 AM
  • >>To use Process monitor capture the trace, you can follow the steps below...<<

Thanks, Roger!  I'll try to figure out how to do this as soon as I have some time... -- JCW2

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 2:32 AM
  • To use Process monitor capture the trace, you can follow the steps below:

Open Promon, set filter as following screenshot...

Hi, Roger -- With your hint I was able to run ProcMon filtered for PerfMon.exe and generate a **long** list of events as I tried (and failed) to start Resource Monitor.  I then closed its transparent window, and the logging stopped.  There are lots of events in this list with Result <> SUCCESS.

Two details that might be relevant:

1) I tried to start Resource Monitor from Task Manager within a "Standard User" account, where I normally operate.  This required me to enter the password for an administrator account, which I did.  The results (transparent window) are the same, however, if I'm logged in as an administrator (also with the "Classic" mode and "125%" text size selected).

2) I was not connected to the Internet during the test.

Since I have no idea how to interpret this list, I saved it to a log file (PML format).  Unfortunately I don't know how to get this file to you.

Please help. -- JCW2

• Edited by JCW2 Wednesday, January 21, 2015 7:40 PM
    Wednesday, January 21, 2015 4:52 PM
  • Hi,

You can upload the log file to your OneDrive Share and post the sharing link here.

Is this problem occures when using Process Monitor capture the trace?

Roger Lu

Thursday, January 22, 2015 6:12 AM
  • Is this problem occures when using Process Monitor capture the trace?

Roger -- The OneDrive link is http://1drv.ms/1JdwM6r.

The problem did occur during the monitoring.  I think I started filtered ProcMon, then (1) opened Task Manager, Performance Tab, (2) clicked the Resource Monitor button, (3) closed the transparent ResMon window, then saved the trace. -- JCW2

Thursday, January 22, 2015 5:49 PM
  • I have the same problem when using the Classic theme and text size set to 125%

Funnily enough, sidebar gadgets have much the same problem after installing IE11 (and when autoscaleDPI is set to True in the gadget.xml file)

However, in this case, Resource Monitor appears normally when I use an Aero theme (still with text size at 125%)

You do have another (not perfect) option:
    - keep classic theme
    - reduce text size to 100%
    - then reduce the monitor resolution, which will make everything bigger - ie if using 1920x1080, switch to 1680x1050 or 1600x900.

(Expected time frame for problem to be fixed = Never)

• Edited by mystifeid Thursday, January 22, 2015 7:12 PM
    Thursday, January 22, 2015 7:02 PM
  • Hi,

According to your .PML log file, I think we find the reason your problem: PERFMON.EXE-F629ACAE.pf file created failed when start Resource Monitor.

A picture is worth a thousand words:

Your system process:

Roger Lu

Friday, January 23, 2015 3:21 AM
  • Our testing system process:

According to these screenshot, we can find your system create PERFMON.EXE-F629ACAE.pf failed. Then it Open Registry key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options directly.

In our testing system, after system create PERFMON.EXE-F629ACAE.pf  file successfully, it began to query system information componment files. After a lot of files queried. it began to query the above Registry key.

Therefore, please check the file in your system if it locate at there, if not, try to copy a same file to this location for test.

Roger Lu

Friday, January 23, 2015 3:28 AM
  • Since my Windows sits on 2xSSD's in raid0, prefetch and superfetch are disabled.

Below are screenshots from Process Monitor captures taken while opening (and later closing) Resource Monitor. One is taken while using Classic theme (and with Resource Monitor misbehaving) while the other is taken while using an Aero theme (and with Resource Monitor behaving normally).

Up to the point where "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options" is opened, both seem to be the same.

Have just reproduced on two other Windows 7 machines here. All are 64-bit.

Classic Theme - Resource Monitor appears as OP described - download capture here: http://1drv.ms/1xHU7Wv

Aero Theme - Resource Monitor appears normally - download capture here: http://1drv.ms/1xHTRqw

The first differences I can find are missing entries in the Classic capture relating to uxtheme.dll and later dwmapi.dll. Perhaps these might be expected when using the Classic theme. But later there is quite a chunk of entries missing after the RegQueryValue for "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\Language Groups\1". These seem to be related to Fonts. Then about a third of the way through the Classic capture, there are the missing uxtheme.dll entries but in the same place the Classic capture is missing some odbc32.dll entries. Then about two thirds of the way through the Classic capture, there are the missing dwmapi.dll entries. Later the Classic capture is missing entries relating to oleacc.dll and oleaccrc.dll. However, after the last RegQueryKey for "HKCU\Software\Classes" the entries become very divergent.

• Edited by mystifeid Friday, January 23, 2015 10:14 AM
    Friday, January 23, 2015 9:49 AM
  • According to these screenshot, we can find your system create PERFMON.EXE-F629ACAE.pf failed. Then it Open Registry key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options directly.

In our testing system, after system create PERFMON.EXE-F629ACAE.pf  file successfully, it began to query system information componment files. After a lot of files queried. it began to query the above Registry key.

Therefore, please check the file in your system if it locate at there, if not, try to copy a same file to this location for test.

Roger -- I think you're over my head again:  I did a search of the whole computer for file PERFMON.EXE-F629ACAE.pf and found nothing.  I'm not sure, however, where you want me to get a copy of this file nor where I should copy it to.

(It seems that Mystifeid has a similar problem and is more knowledgeable. Re. Mystifeid's message, in case it's relevant, my system has no RAID drive, but it does have a 16 GB SSD used as an cache memory -- Lenovo W530 running condusiv's ExpressCache OEM software). -- JCW2

• Edited by JCW2 Friday, January 23, 2015 4:00 PM typos
    Friday, January 23, 2015 1:12 PM
  • Hi,

I'm sorry for my description. hat I want to express is that, when Resource Monitor interface shows uncorrecly, the file PERFMON.EXE-F629ACAE.pf which located at C:\Windows\Prefetch by default was not be found by system. In contrast, If Resource Monitor opened successfully, this file should be found at this folder.

Please check the folder to check this.

Roger Lu

Monday, January 26, 2015 1:43 AM
  • ...when Resource Monitor interface shows uncorrecly, the file PERFMON.EXE-F629ACAE.pf which located at C:\Windows\Prefetch by default was not be found by system. In contrast, If Resource Monitor opened successfully, this file should be found at this folder.

Roger -- I just did the following experiment from my Standard User account:

1) Check for the file in the aforementioned directory (requires administrator password).  It's not there.

2) Start Task Manager/Performance Tab/Resource Monitor (requires administrator password).  Same transparent window is observed -- no data shown.

3) Before closing the above, check for the file again.  it **is** there.  I'm uploading a copy to a new OneDrive link, http://1drv.ms/15DMrwZ.

4) Close transparent window and also Task Manager.  File is **still** there.  It's still there as I write this message.  Nevertheless, Resource Monitor still will not start correctly -- same symptoms.

Does that answer your question?

Then I have another:  My last try to search the whole computer for this file (reported above) turned up nothing.  Does that make sense?  Unfortunately I don't remember how long that was after my previous try to start ResMon.  Is there some method by which this file is destsroyed (e.g., after a certain time or after a log-off)? -- JCW2

• Edited by JCW2 Tuesday, January 27, 2015 3:53 PM
    Tuesday, January 27, 2015 1:20 AM
  • (Expected time frame for problem to be fixed = Never)

Mistifeid -- Are you still following this discussion?  Is your conclusion still that it will never be fixed.  (Actually I don't really care whether MS fixes Window 7 or not -- unlikely at this late date!  All I really want is to identify and eliminate any **non-critical** update that may be responsible for the conflict.)

Thanks for chiming in! -- JCW2

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 1:24 AM
  • Mainstream support for Windows 7 SP1 finished on January 13 2015. Windows 7 has moved into the Extended Support phase of it's lifecycle (ends january 14 2020) which mainly covers security updates unless you have a paid support contract with Microsoft. See:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/lifecycle

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifepolicy

Hence the conclusion that this problem will never be fixed. The only solutions that I know of that are likely to help are all mentioned above:

- try rolling back to IE10
    - use any theme but Classic (do you have a problem with Aero themes?)
    - use 100% font size (+ reduce monitor resolution)

Update: Just tried uninstalling IE11 (back to IE8) and this had no effect. A clean boot also had no effect.

• Proposed as answer by Yolanda Zhu Thursday, January 29, 2015 9:26 AM
    • Edited by mystifeid Friday, January 30, 2015 2:30 PM
    Tuesday, January 27, 2015 5:06 AM
  • Hi,

I'm sorry for my description. hat I want to express is that, when Resource Monitor interface shows uncorrecly, the file PERFMON.EXE-F629ACAE.pf which located at C:\Windows\Prefetch by default was not be found by system. In contrast, If Resource Monitor opened successfully, this file should be found at this folder.

Roger Lu

Roger -- I answered your question several days ago.  Did you forget about me or just run out of ideas? -- JCW2
    Friday, January 30, 2015 1:55 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for my dilatory reply. How about your problem now? Is mystifeid's suggestion hlepful with this problem?

In my opinion, it's hard to identify whether IE 11 was a reason of this problem, but you can try to remove IE 11 in View installed updates in Control Panel for test.

After uninstall IE 11 from installed updates, system would revert IE to IE 8, then check if this problem resolved.

Roger Lu

Monday, February 9, 2015 3:29 AM
  • Sorry for my dilatory reply. How about your problem now? Is mystifeid's suggestion hlepful with this problem?

In my opinion, it's hard to identify whether IE 11 was a reason of this problem...

Roger -- I've given up and switched themes from "Classic" (which I much prefer) to "Windows 7 Basic."  This allows me to keep 125% text size without losing PerfMon (and perhaps other capabilities that I haven't noticed yet).  This choice was mainly to avoid rolling back Internet Explorer step by step to try and locate the point where the "conflict" disappears.  I remain "mystifeid" that this theme change can have such far-reaching consequences, but if Microsoft can't explain it, I certainly can't. -- JCW2

MODERATOR -- PLEASE DO NOT MARK THIS THREAD AS "ANSWERED."  IT IS NOT! -- JCW1

Thursday, February 12, 2015 1:07 PM
  • Cool tip, I changed from "Classic" to "Win 7 Basic", then changed background to monochrome blue - just nearly similar to classic, but resmon works...

Thanks

Saturday, December 19, 2015 12:16 PM