Where does Windows save the Memory Diagnostic log? RRS feed

• Question

• ===== NOT SOLUTION =====

The solution that follows in this inset tricked me into thinking I'd made a discovery that solved my (and many other's) problem. But it is apparently only the solution when Memory Diagnostic is run by the system in 'Task Scheduler', not when 'Memory Diagnostic' is run on demand (i.e., as an application). DAMN!

I'm leaving this non-solution here as documentation of at least one thing that works (though it doesn't work in a practical sense).

The results of Memory Diagnostic are hidden in 'Task Scheduler' (!?!?!...really)

1, Open 'Task Scheduler' using 'Run as administrator', then look in the right panel and click 'Enable All Tasks History' -- otherwise, when you get to the _/History\_, you will discover that it says: _/History (Disabled)\_.

2, Now, run 'Memory Diagnostic' in the usual way (which closes Windows, runs the test, then restarts Windows).

3, When Windows is back up, look in 'Task Scheduler', 'Task Scheduler (Local)', 'Task Scheduler Library', 'Microsoft', 'Windows', 'MemoryDiagnostic'.

4, Double-click Name 'ProcessMemoryDiagnosticEvents' ...which opens the 'ProcessMemoryDiagnostiEvents Properties (Local Computer)' dialog.

5, Click the _/History\_ tab.

6, Search for, and select the most recent 'Task Category': 'Action completed'.

7, Under the _/General\_ tab in the panel directly below, read the result of the test -- I assume that 'with return code 0' means no memory faults were found.

Honestly! Microsoft! This is cruel and unusual punishment.

===== ORIGINAL POST =====
    (Note: I found 'answers.microsoft.com' topics relating to this... They are all closed and locked with no resolution.)

As you probably know, Windows has a Memory Diagnostic that reboots, then runs prior to Windows startup.

I ran Memory Diagnostic, Basic, 1 pass ...simple, just so I could quickly see what it does. It said I would see the results on next log on.
    I was not shown results.

I searched all of drive C: for *memory*.log -- not found.
    I searched all of drive C: for *memory*.evtx -- results:

• c:\Windows\System32\winevt\Logs\Microsoft-Windows-MemoryDiagnostics-Results%4Debug.evtx -- 23 July, 2018, 20:26:56
    • c:\Windows\System32\winevt\Logs\Microsoft-Windows-PersistentMemory-Nvdimm%4Operational.evtx -- 23 July, 2018, 20:26:56
    • c:\Windows\System32\winevt\Logs\Microsoft-Windows-PersistentMemory-PmemDisk%4Operational.evtx -- 23 July, 2018, 20:26:56
    • c:\Windows\System32\winevt\Logs\Microsoft-Windows-PersistentMemory-ScmBus%4Certification.evtx -- 23 July, 2018, 20:26:56

Those files are way too old to be pertainent.

Acer made the computer. I chatted with Acer support. They don't know where the log is stored. They also said that the test is supposed to show the log to me when it finishes, prior to Windows startup ...that didn't happen, either.

Where does Windows put the results of the Memory Diagnostic?

Warm Regards,
    Mark.

Saturday, October 20, 2018 8:14 PM

All replies

• C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\MemDiag\MemDiag.bin appears to the log, but that is not much use on its own it appears. Searching for that file name led me too How to get results from Memory Diagnostics Tool? and the second answer;

In Event Viewer > System log. Filter Current log for "Windows Memory Diagnostic results"

Then the General and Data tabs of the events shown. Mine just says no errors detected.

Sunday, October 21, 2018 12:29 PM
  • Hello,

In addition I would check in the event logs under Applications and Services Logs

Under Microsoft

Under Windows

Check the logs under MicrosoftDiagnostics-Results

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, October 21, 2018 10:15 PM
  • C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\MemDiag\MemDiag.bin appears to the log, but that is not much use on its own it appears. Searching for that file name led me too How to get results from Memory Diagnostics Tool? and the second answer;

In Event Viewer > System log. Filter Current log for "Windows Memory Diagnostic results"

(...image removed by me...)

Then the General and Data tabs of the events shown. Mine just says no errors detected.

Thanks Mr Happy, but...

In 'Event Viewer', 'Windows Logs', 'System', 'Source' (sorted), there is no 'Memory*' entries and no 'Microsoft*' entries.

Tuesday, October 23, 2018 4:24 PM
  • Hello,

In addition I would check in the event logs under Applications and Services Logs

Under Microsoft

Under Windows

Check the logs under MicrosoftDiagnostics-Results

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thanks Darrell, but...

In 'Event Viewer', 'Applications and Services Logs', 'Microsoft', 'MemoryDiagnostics-Results', 'Debug' (which is the only log there), there are no entries.

Tuesday, October 23, 2018 4:25 PM
  • Ok odd as I have events (in System sorting by source) and one event where Darrell said.

So can you explain 'Memory Diagnostic, Basic, 1 pass' ? I do not see any options when I open it.

Tuesday, October 23, 2018 5:21 PM
  • Hello,

Please  file feedback bugs then on this, so we can get it sorted out.

Tuesday, October 23, 2018 9:21 PM
  • Ok odd as I have events (in System sorting by source) and one event where Darrell said.

Some folks may get such a System Log entry specific to Memory Diagnositcs in the Event Log, but I did not.

So can you explain 'Memory Diagnostic, Basic, 1 pass' ? I do not see any options when I open it.

Following the boot to Memory Diagnostic, while it is running, users are given the option ...I believe it's F1 key... to configure the test. I changed it to something that would run quickly: 'Basic' (as opposed to 'Standard', I believe) and 1 pass (as opposed to 2 passes). If I recall rightly, F10 key then saves those choices.

Wednesday, October 24, 2018 10:41 PM
  • Hello,

Please  file feedback bugs then on this, so we can get it sorted out.

Darrell, are you asking me to file a bug? I've asked how to do that many times and have not received an answer... I have no idea how to file a bug.
    Wednesday, October 24, 2018 10:43 PM
  • Hello,

Use the Feedback Hub App, post the ID of the Feedback

Wednesday, October 24, 2018 11:40 PM
  • If you are not able to find the Windows memory diagnostic results in the event viewer alternative third party software can be used to test the memory.

The software is better than windows memory diagnostics at finding problems with RAM/DIMM/MB

Two options are:

Memtest86+ version 5.01

https://www.memtest.org/

Memtest86

https://www.memtest86.com/

Wednesday, October 24, 2018 11:47 PM
  • Use the Feedback Hub App, post the ID of the Feedback

What's that? Sorry, I know 'app' is what Microsoft is calling programs these days, and I know that smart phones have apps (but I don't have a smart phone), and I would guess that Technet (like git) has a hub. But other than that, I don't know what a Feedback Hub App is.

• Edited by markfilipak- Thursday, October 25, 2018 12:44 AM
    Thursday, October 25, 2018 12:35 AM
  • If you are not able to find the Windows memory diagnostic results in the event viewer alternative third party software can be used to test the memory.

The software is better than windows memory diagnostics at finding problems with RAM/DIMM/MB

Two options are:

Memtest86+ version 5.01

https://www.memtest.org/

Memtest86

https://www.memtest86.com/

Neither of them work on my system. Memtest86+ doesn't support UEFI, and though the latest version of memtest86 (version 7.5) runs on UEFI systems, after the configuration screen, it goes black on my system. Since Memory Diagnostic doesn't give me a report, and since the various memtest programs don't work, I have no way to test memory. My system is having problems, and I'd like to verify memory, but I can't.

• Edited by markfilipak- Thursday, October 25, 2018 12:43 AM
    Thursday, October 25, 2018 12:38 AM
  • What are the system problems?

Open the website for the computer or motherboard manufacturer > support > enter the product or serial number or model > select the operating system > view drivers > post a URL or hyperlink into the thread.

Many computers with UEFI BIOS are able to test with Memtest86+ version 5.01.

Where was there information about not supporting UEFI?

Often but not always there are settings in the BIOS that can be modified.

The setting changes are by trial and error.

To evaluate the computer environment please post logs for troubleshooting.

Using administrative command prompt copy and paste this whole command.

Make sure the default language is English so that the logs can be scanned and read.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3813-language-add-remove-change-windows-10-a.html

The command will automatically collect the computer files and place them on the desktop.

Then use 7zip to organize the files and one drive or drop box to place share links into the thread for troubleshooting.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-OneDrive-files-and-folders-9fcc2f7d-de0c-4cec-93b0-a82024800c07

This command will automatically collect these files:  msinfo32, mini dumps, drivers, hosts, install, uninstall, services, startup, event viewer files, etc.

Open administrative command prompt and copy and paste the whole command:

copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\"&dxdiag /t %Temp%\dxdiag.txt&copy %Temp%\dxdiag.txt "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SFdebugFiles\"&type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\hosts.txt"&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt"&driverquery /v > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\drivers.txt" &msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe System /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\eventlog.txt"&reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\uninstall.txt"&reg export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\installed.txt"&net start > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\services.txt"&REM wmic startup list full /format:htable >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.html"&wmic STARTUP GET Caption, Command, User >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.txt"

There is one file for you to find manually:  dxdiag

In the left lower corner search type:  dxdiag > When the DirectX Diagnostic Tool opens click on the next page button so that each tab is opened > click on save all information > save to desktop > post one drive or drop box share link into the thread

Please remember to vote and to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Thursday, October 25, 2018 3:41 AM
  • What are the system problems?

All sorts of seemingly random stuff. The symptoms keep moving around as Windows attempts to "fix" itself.

Open the website for the computer or motherboard manufacturer > support > enter the product or serial number or model > select the operating system > view drivers > post a URL or hyperlink into the thread.

What are you driving at? I have the manufacturer's drivers. I downloaded them when I got this system back from it's 2nd RMA warranty service trip. I also made a DISM EXPORT-DRIVER save of System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\ as soon as I got the system back.

You need the whole story. I bought the computer in May. It spent June & July vacationing in Texas. When it returned from vacation, instead of running Win10 v.1511, it was running Win10 v.1803! It's been touch & go since then.

It turns out I can't recover Windows because the techs made driver changes AFTER making the recovery partition (... not slip-streamed in ...) and the drivers they added are not part of their driver downloads ...basically, they're mystery drivers from Mars.

You see, the manufacturer is in Taiwan. The US subsidiary is in San Jose, CA. The service is done by a contract company in Texas, and as far as they are concerned, if the system boots without throwing an uncaught exception, they've done their job and the system works. The system is a gaming laptop with 1TB SSD RAID, additional 1TB 7200 RPM HDD, i7 CPU with 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 980M GPU with 8 GB GRAM, 17.3" 4K screen, and BD writer, and just about every type of interface connector known to humankind. It ain't a cheap computer. They now want it back for a 3rd RMA.

I need to eliminate memory as the problem. Having done that, I plan to jamb the laptop up their hindparts.

Many computers with UEFI BIOS are able to test with Memtest86+ version 5.01.

Where was there information about not supporting UEFI?

From 'http://www.memtest.org/'.

** Memtest86+ V5.01 (27/09/2013)**

Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.gz)
        Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip) -- no EFI here! I looked.

Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable Binary (.gz)
        Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable Binary (.zip) -- I have nothing that will handle a BIN file, but I assume it has the same image as the ISO.

Download - Auto-installer for USB Key (Win 9x/2k/xp/7) *NEW!* -- no EFI here! Non-bootable. I tried.
        Download - Pre-Compiled package for Floppy (DOS - Win) -- for floppy disk (hahahahaha)

From 'https://www.memtest86.com/'. ... At least this stuff has EFI. I made a USB drive and a DVD. They boot, but the screen goes blank after launch following a sign-in screen and setup (presumably, when the actual test starts).

Often but not always there are settings in the BIOS that can be modified.

The setting changes are by trial and error.

To evaluate the computer environment please post logs for troubleshooting.

What logs would you like to see? Would including any EVTX files help?

Using administrative command prompt copy and paste this whole command.

What command? ... I think you left a line of text out of your response.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3813-language-add-remove-change-windows-10-a.html

?

The command will automatically collect the computer files and place them on the desktop.

I can't imagine an HTML will do that. ...If this is some sort of browser-based app, you need to know that Windows is blocked at the firewall. Only a Linux VM can connect.

Then use 7zip to organize the files and one drive or drop box to place share links into the thread for troubleshooting.

I know what 7zip is of course, but how does 7zip 'organize' files? I don't use one drive or drop box and I have no idea what a share link is. Sorry.

This command will automatically collect these files:  msinfo32, mini dumps, drivers, hosts, install, uninstall, services, startup, event viewer files, etc.

copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\"&dxdiag /t %Temp%\dxdiag.txt&copy %Temp%\dxdiag.txt "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SFdebugFiles\"&type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\hosts.txt"&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt"&driverquery /v > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\drivers.txt" &msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe System /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\eventlog.txt"&reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\uninstall.txt"&reg export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\installed.txt"&net start > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\services.txt"&REM wmic startup list full /format:htable >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.html"&wmic STARTUP GET Caption, Command, User >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.txt"

copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\"

... not found (I have no minidumps)

dxdiag /t %Temp%\dxdiag.txt

... done.
     Directory of C:\Users\acer\AppData\Local\Temp
    18/10/25  03:33            88,159 dxdiag.txt

copy %Temp%\dxdiag.txt "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SFdebugFiles\"

... again, you want me to put something on my desktop?

type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\hosts.txt"

... I believe that HOSTS file is not relevent because Windows is blocked at the firewall.

systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt"
    driverquery /v > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\drivers.txt"
    msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\msinfo32.nfo"
    wevtutil qe System /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\eventlog.txt"
    reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\uninstall.txt"
    reg export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\installed.txt"
    net start > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\services.txt"
    REM wmic startup list full /format:htable >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.html"
    wmic STARTUP GET Caption, Command, User >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.txt"

... I'm sort of giving up on this because you want me to copy a bunch of stuff to the desktop, but you don't say what I should do with it.

In the left lower corner search type:  dxdiag > When the DirectX Diagnostic Tool opens click on the next page button so that each tab is opened > click on save all information > save to desktop > post one drive or drop box share link into the thread

Sorry, but I have no idea what "post one drive or drop box share link into the thread" means. How about I zip up all the stuff you want, put it on my server, and post the URL back here?

PS: Thanks for trying, folks. I'm giving up. I guess no one knows where Memory Diagnostic saves the results. I've found dozens of topics like this on the Internet and they have all gone unanswered, just like this one has. A lot of very nice people want to help, but really, all I need to do is to find the log. It's really quite sad.

Thursday, October 25, 2018 7:59 AM
  • If you want to post information into a thread the information can be directly posted (txt and images) if there is no size limitations.  Most often there are size limitations.

There are multiple companies that allow users to upload data for free to the cloud.

Once in the cloud you can create a share link.

The share link can then be posted in a thread and it consumes very little space.

The administrative command prompt collects computer logs and posts them on the desktop.

Then zip the logs and upload to one drive, drop box, or google drive.  These companies have limited free storage in the cloud.  If you want more you can pay for it but the free option is nice to have so you don't have problems posting large messages.  The links work nicely for email.  There is no time wasted wondering if a large file was able or not able to be transmitted.  A share link instead is posted within the email.

The logs can then be used for troubleshooting.

If you post the URL for the computer then it can be used in the troubleshooting.

There are modifications that may be able to be made to use Memtest86+ version 5.01 as most computers are tested with this software.

For DDR4 RAM the testing has shifted to Memtest86 instead of Memtest86+ versioin 5.01.

Thursday, October 25, 2018 9:49 AM
  • If you post the URL for the computer then it can be used in the troubleshooting.

Not the URL of the computer, the URL of my server. Then you could FTP the ZIP.

Thursday, October 25, 2018 10:00 AM
  • If you post the logs and a link for the computer manufacture (model/configuration) the problems using memtest86+ version 5.01 can be troubleshooted.

There is no guarantee but most computers with DDR3 RAM can be tested using Memtest86+ version 5.01.

Thursday, October 25, 2018 4:05 PM
  • Hello,

Feedback Hub is an application that should be installed by default with current Windows 10 installations and on the start menu

Thursday, October 25, 2018 8:27 PM
  • Hello,

Feedback Hub is an application that should be installed by default with current Windows 10 installations and on the start menu

Not found.

Thursday, October 25, 2018 8:35 PM
  • If you post the logs and a link for the computer manufacture (model/configuration) the problems using memtest86+ version 5.01 can be troubleshooted...

I'm sorry, can you be more specific? What logs?

And what sort of link? ...to marketing info? ...to drivers?

Tha laptop is an Acer Predator G9-792.

I will try memtest86+ again and come back here with updated results.

Thanks!

PS: The system RAM is DDR4. The graphics RAM is GDDR5.

Thursday, October 25, 2018 8:55 PM
  • Hello,

Not found.

Can you post what version of Windows 10 you are running? I am thinking LTSB or something perhaps. Press Windows Key+R (Run box), enter winver and press enter.
    Thursday, October 25, 2018 8:58 PM
  • Can you post what version of Windows 10 you are running? I am thinking LTSB or something perhaps. Press Windows Key+R (Run box), enter winver and press enter.

Win-10 v.1803 build 17134.165

PS: What's LTSB?

Thursday, October 25, 2018 9:00 PM
  • LSTB is Long Term Service Branch, it is a version of Enterprise that does not have the UWP apps (hence me thinking it was that).

Does Feedback Hub app appears in the Start > All Apps list under F and Feedback Hub? (thinking the search may not be finding it)

Thursday, October 25, 2018 9:13 PM
  • This is the URL or link for the computer and its drivers:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/ID/content/support-product/6644;-;

For feedback type feedback in the left lower corner search.

In case you have difficulty opening feedback:

This is a link for insiders and it has a hyperlink to open the feedback hub app

https://insider.windows.com/en-us/fb/?contextid=81&feedbackid=2170ef2b-3e19-48e7-97be-5389e86a8ff4&form=1&utm_source=product-placement&utm_medium=feedback-hub&utm_campaign=feedback-hub-redirect

The Feedback Hub app should open automatically. If it doesn't, you can open the Feedback Hub App here.

For the needed logs run this command and then zip the logs on the desktop and post a share link into the thread using one drive, drop box, or google drive.

Look on the desktop for the files that were created by the above command.

Then zip > then upload to one drive, drop box, or google drive (free versions)  > then create a share link > post the share link into the thread.

There is one file for you to find manually:  dxdiag

A BIOS upgrade was released yesterday > upgrade the BIOS:

Updates Intel microcode revision to fix the Spectre security vulnerabilities

Date:

2018/10/24

Version:

Vendor:

Acer

Size:

6.4 MB

Thursday, October 25, 2018 9:33 PM
  • Does Feedback Hub app appears in the Start > All Apps list under F and Feedback Hub?

Not found in what passes for a Start Menu these days.

(thinking the search may not be finding it)

Not found by search in what passes for a Start Menu these days.

BTW, FYI, I use Classic Start Menu v.4.3.1 (a real menu system) instead of those awful tiles that are only program launchers.

Thursday, October 25, 2018 9:41 PM
  • It's unclear why you are having difficulties.

If you are able to post logs the logs can be troubleshooted.

The prior post was updated with a link for the feedback to Microsoft.

Most computers are able to run Memtest86+ version 5.01.  Sometimes it requires some setting modifications.

If you post the logs you can have them troubleshooted.

Thursday, October 25, 2018 9:50 PM
  • It's unclear why you are having difficulties

Well, the Memory Diagositic is supposed to show the user (me!) the results of the test when it finishes the test, but it doesn't. Then, it's supposed to show the user the results again after Windows boots, but it doesn't. There's really nothing to prevent it from doing those things.

An extensive search for a '.log' or '.evtx' or really any pertinent result file (including a search of all files, everywhere) created from just prior to running the test fails to find anything pertinent. I think the Memory Diagnostic just doesn't work as advertised.

If you are able to post logs the logs can be troubleshooted.

My computer produces dozens of logs every minute or so. I've searched them. They contain nothing from Memory Diagnostic. But if you want to see them, I'll be happy to post them... simply tell me what log you'd like to see.

The prior post was updated with a link for the feedback to Microsoft.

The Feedback Hub app should open automatically.

Open automatically... When? How?

If it doesn't, you can open the Feedback Hub App here.

That link doesn't go anywhere ...it simply reopens this forum thread.

Most computers are able to run Memtest86+ version 5.01.  Sometimes it requires some setting modifications.

I tried to make a USB stick and a CD. Neither of them were UEFI compatible and would not boot. In fact, they weren't even recognized as bootable. There are no BIOS settings required to make that happen.

If you post the logs you can have them troubleshooted.

What log do you want to see?

PS: Ah! I see you pasted in a URL: https://insider.windows.com/en-us/fb/?contextid=81&feedbackid=2170ef2b-3e19-48e7-97be-5389e86a8ff4&form=1&utm_source=product-placement&utm_medium=feedback-hub&utm_campaign=feedback-hub-redirect

It doesn't work in my Linux VM. I get this response from 'insider.windows.com':

This content is available only in the FeedbackHub app through the Windows 10.

PPS: Thank you for the alert for the BIOS upgrade. You see, such malware is the reason I don't allow Windows to access the Internet. I access the Internet only in a virtual machine running Linux. In any event, it's doubtful that such a BIOS upgrade will make non-EFI media bootable, don't you agree?

Friday, October 26, 2018 5:33 PM
  • There was an administrative command prompt command posted that automatically collects the files used for the troubleshooting.

The files are posted on the desktop.  (drivers, dump, hosts, install, uninstall, eventlog, msinfo32, services, system info) (dxdiag collected separately)

So if you run the administrative command prompt command it will collect to files used in the troubleshooting.

This is another copy of the command from the earlier posts:

There is 1 file for you to find manually: 

dxdiag

There were 3 posts with requests for log files to perform the troubleshooting.

If you are unable to post logs or unwilling to then it will be difficult to have others help you with the computer problems.

This website has volunteers (non Microsoft employees) that help others with their computer problems.

It may be best for you to contact the computer manufacturer again.

These are some commands to run using administrative command prompt:

a) sfc /scannow

b) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

c) chkdsk /scan

d) wmic memorychip get manufacturer, capacity, partnumber, speed, memorytype, devicelocator, formfactor

e) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread

Friday, October 26, 2018 6:03 PM
  • Open administrative command prompt and copy and paste the whole command:

Sorry. I didn't mean to be obstinate. I appologize.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\"&dxdiag /t %Temp%\dxdiag.txt© %Temp%\dxdiag.txt "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SFdebugFiles\"&type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\hosts.txt"&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt"&driverquery /v > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\drivers.txt" &msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe System /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\eventlog.txt"® export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\uninstall.txt"® export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\installed.txt"&net start > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\services.txt"&REM wmic startup list full /format:htable >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.html"&wmic STARTUP GET Caption, Command, User >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.txt"
    The system cannot find the path specified.
    The system cannot find the path specified.
            0 file(s) copied.
    The operation completed successfully.

The files created above, plus the DxDiag output is zipped up here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/quccoiphy58nq5h/Desktop.zip?dl=0

There were 3 posts with requests for log files to perform the troubleshooting.

If you are unable to post logs or unwilling to then it will be difficult to have others help you with the computer problems.

I can post logs, but as I noted previously, I don't know which logs you want. Please advise.

Here's the rest of the stuff.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow & dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth & chkdsk /scan & wmic memorychip get manufacturer, capacity, partnumber, speed, memorytype, devicelocator, formfactor

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.17134.1

Image Version: 10.0.17134.165

[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.
    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Volume label is 953 GB SSD (Win-Acer).

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
      326912 file records processed.
    File verification completed.
      6194 large file records processed.
      0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
      475 reparse records processed.
      398714 index entries processed.
    Index verification completed.
      0 unindexed files scanned.
      0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.
      475 reparse records processed.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
    Security descriptor verification completed.
      35902 data files processed.
    CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
      41232400 USN bytes processed.
    Usn Journal verification completed.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
    No further action is required.

999041023 KB total disk space.
     130366352 KB in 244126 files.
        158592 KB in 35903 indexes.
             0 KB in bad sectors.
        470435 KB in use by the system.
         65536 KB occupied by the log file.
     868045644 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
     249760255 total allocation units on disk.
     217011411 allocation units available on disk.
    Capacity     DeviceLocator   FormFactor  Manufacturer  MemoryType  PartNumber        Speed
    17179869184  ChannelA-DIMM0  12          SK Hynix      0           HMA82GS6MFR8N-TF  2133
    17179869184  ChannelB-DIMM0  12          SK Hynix      0           HMA82GS6MFR8N-TF  2133

• Edited by markfilipak- Saturday, October 27, 2018 12:08 AM
    Friday, October 26, 2018 10:54 PM
  • When posting into the thread most people use share links.

Share links are created by companies that have storage in the cloud.

The software is opened, the end users signs onto their account with a user ID and password.

Files from the computer are then copied and pasted into the cloud.

Once in the cloud there is an option to generate a share link.

The share link is copied and pasted into the thread.

The files are not posted into the thread.  Only the link is posted into the thread.

So if there are many pictures or videos or txt files it is easy to share them as it only requires uploading the data once.  Then the share link can be posted in multiple places with the same files without having to keep uploading files.

It creates efficiency with uploading once.

The share links also have methods to no longer share them.

So after a post the link can be removed or the link can be turned off.

Most people end up consuming the free space and need more space to share files.

Some people will back up their computer files into the cloud instead of using a HD.

This way they can be in any location that has internet access and view their files.

The files that were needed could be found by running the command or viewing the prior post.

These are again the files that are needed:

drivers, bsod mini dump files, msinfo32, hosts, install, uninstall, dxdiag, services, system info, event log

The administrative command prompt command will collect files automatically in the form desired.

Some are NFO, others are txt, and others are selective portions of the log files.

I've not had this much difficulty explaining the cloud, explaining and receiving the files to troubleshoot and am ready to move onto others that need help.

There may be others willing to help you without information for troubleshooting. 

Memory type 0 is unknown.  Are the RAM modules labeled DDR3 or DDR4?

Saturday, October 27, 2018 12:27 AM
  • The administrative command prompt command will collect files automatically in the form desired.

Some are NFO, others are txt, and others are selective portions of the log files.

I've not had this much difficulty explaining the cloud, explaining and receiving the files to troubleshoot and am ready to move onto others that need help.

There may be others willing to help you without information for troubleshooting. 

Memory type 0 is unknown.  Are the RAM modules labeled DDR3 or DDR4?

Did you get the files in the dropbox share?

Regarding memory, it is supposed to be DDR4. In order to see labels, I'd need to break into the laptop. I have not found a utility that will confirm that the memory is, in fact, DDR4. I will search. Do you know of a utility that will id the RAM?

PS:

RAMMon v1.1 Build: 1001 built with SysInfo v2.0 Build: 1002
    PassMark (R) Software
    www.passmark.com

Memmory summary for LAPTOP-FGMHQKQ8:
    Number of Memory Devices: 2 Total Physical Memory: 32649 MB (32768 MB)
            Total Available Physical Memory: 21734 MB
            Memory Load: 33% 

Item                                      | Slot #1                                | Slot #2                                | Slot #3         | Slot #4         |
    ------------------------------------------|----------------------------------------|----------------------------------------|-----------------|-----------------|-
    Ram Type                                  | DDR4                                   | DDR4                                   | Not Populated   | Not Populated   |
           Maximum Clock Speed (MHz)          | 1067 (JEDEC)                           | 1067 (JEDEC)                           |                 |                 |
           Maximum Transfer Speed (MHz)       | DDR4-2133                              | DDR4-2133                              |                 |                 |
           Maximum Bandwidth (MB/s)           | PC4-17000                              | PC4-17000                              |                 |                 |
    Memory Capacity (MB)                      | 16384                                  | 16384                                  |                 |                 |
    Jedec Manufacture Name                    | SK Hynix                               | SK Hynix                               |                 |                 |
    Saturday, October 27, 2018 1:18 AM
  • Memtest86+ displayed DDR4.

How come you never commented on the displayed results?

Saturday, October 27, 2018 2:38 AM
  • @ questionsformicrosoftproducts

I appreciate your attention. What is it you are pursuing? Are you trying to help get memtest86+ to run?

Memtest86+ has no EFI directory.

Now, memtest86 (no plus sign) has a version that has an EFI directory and will boot. But it apparently crashes after sign-in and configuration (by me).

Saturday, October 27, 2018 2:41 AM
  • Memtest86+ displayed DDR4.

How come you never commented on the displayed results?

Memtest86+ displayed nothing. It wouldn't boot.
    Saturday, October 27, 2018 2:48 AM
  • We used to use Memtest86+ version 5.01 exclusively for all RAM testing.

Most of the time 8 passes or more are sufficient for testing.

On rare occasions passes into the teens and twenties find malfunctioning RAM.

With more end users using DDR4 ram we have switched to Memtest86.

Notice the dates for the latest revision of 5.01.

This was before DDR4 RAM became available.

There are many end users that struggle with booting for Memtest86+ version 5.01.

This can often be troubleshooted with trial and error steps.

Multiple times Memtest86+ version 5.01 has been used on DDR4 RAM however we wonder about the best testing and the revision date.

The logs could have been scanned and read.

It seems you prefer not to do that.

Hopefully Acer can help you with the problems.

Saturday, October 27, 2018 4:40 AM
  • The logs could have been scanned and read.

It seems you prefer not to do that.

I have stated many times that I've looked at all the logs I could find. I run Memory Diagnostics and, when it's done, I search my entire C: drive for all files written since before running the test. I find no logs that refer to "Memory" or "Diagnostics" or Memory Diagnostics". You have mentioned repeatedly that I could post the logs, but you have not said what logs.

What logs do you want to see?

Clarification: Not just logs, I search for txt files & evtx files, and in fact, all files that have changed since just before running Memory Diagnostics... I search for the word "memory" and get no relevant results.

More Clarifiacation: The search is for "memory" in ANSI, UTF-8, and UTF-16.

Saturday, October 27, 2018 5:03 AM
  • This is my last post.

Multiple times it was suggested that you run the administrative command prompt command which will automatically collect the logs to the desktop.

This makes it easy for the end user as the command collects the files.

This did not work for you.

The files were listed and that did not work for you.

I'm exhausted.

Maybe the computer manufacturer can help you.

Saturday, October 27, 2018 6:12 AM
  • Multiple times it was suggested that you run the administrative command prompt command which will automatically collect the logs to the desktop.

I did run it a long time ago. Go up 9 messages in this thread. It has been waiting for you here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/quccoiphy58nq5h/Desktop.zip?dl=0

You missed it. This forum seems to resort the message order.

Saturday, October 27, 2018 3:44 PM
  • Hi,

I saw you have tried some steps to repair.

I consider that maybe it should be an in-place upgrade to repair the system files to check.

How to Do a Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 9:37 AM
  • Hi Carl,

Thanks for helping. Do you know how I can test memory?

I'm not trying to repair my system, at least not yet. I'm going to leave repair to Acer warranty service (as RMA#3 -- RMA#1 was in June, RMA#2 was in July). In RMA#2, Acer tech support fixed it so that I can't recover & I can't do a clean install -- Acer installed drivers from sources that are not in the recovery image in the recovery partition (extracted via Macrium Reflect), not in the DriverStore, and not on the Acer web site ...I don't know from where they got the drivers, so I'm screwed.

As I assemble the forensic evidence of what Acer did (so I can confront tech support with the evidence), it occurred to me that I should test memory. first. But every attempt to test memory has failed to make a bootable USB-drive (memtest86+), or has crashed (memtest86), or has failed to display results (Microsoft Memory Diagnostic).

Memory testing aside, can you answer a question?

How can I tell whether Acer warranty service did an upgrade or a clean install during RMA#2? (Note that it was during RMA#2 that the system transitioned from v.1511 to v.1803.)

Info: 1, If this was Win7, I'd know, but this is Win10. And 2, I have copies of all the log-files available -- the list is too long to post here, but they're from all the usual places in Windows, OEM, and Panther (I assume you know to what I refer).

Warm Regards,
    Mark.

• Edited by markfilipak- Wednesday, November 14, 2018 5:57 PM
    Wednesday, November 14, 2018 5:55 PM
  • Hello,

You should be able see whether the machine was upgraded using the setupact.log file

\Windows\Panther\Setupact.log

You may also see this in the registry under HKLM\System\Setup

Look for Source OS keys which should show upgrade dates and versions.

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 6:07 PM