External Hard Drive Issue RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am having a regular isssue with external hard drives and Windows Vista.  Vista will find the drive, but I receive an error message that states, "Location is not available.  W:\ is not accessible. Access is denied."

I am logged in as administrator and have full access rights to the drive, but still receive this.

It is a drive that used to be connected to a computer running Windows XP and the file systems is showing NTFS.

Any help would be appreciated!

Craig

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 4:51 AM

Answers

• Hi Craig,

Glad to hear this solution works. Now, I think this issue is possibly caused by differences between Windows XP and Windows Vista authentication systems. Based on that, you may use Administrator account to reassign privileges to the external hard disk.

Right-click the hard disk – Properties – Security tab, then give your original account full control privilege again. (<computer name>\<user name>)

If the problem persists, try to give everyone the full control privilege instead.

Let us know the result if possible.

Cheers,

Lionel

Friday, March 21, 2008 6:13 AM

All replies

• Hello Craig,

Try the following steps to log on as built-in administrator:

1.    Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories.

2.    Right-click Command Prompt and select Run as Adminstrator.

3.    Type the following command-line: NET USER ADMINISTRATOR /ACTIVE:YES

4.    Log off the current user account and log on as Adminstrator.

Then try to access the external disk. Let us know the result if possible.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 9:36 AM
  •  

Hello Lionel!

You've been very helpful!  That worked.  I exited my user account (which I thought was part of the Administrator Group) and entered the Administrator Account.

I was able to access the hard drive normally.

Any idea how I do this in my normal account? 

Also, I have media on that account I stream to my home entertainment system via a d-link media gateway and have my iTunes library on that drive - in case it makes a difference.

I appreciate the help!

Craig

Thursday, March 20, 2008 4:49 AM
  • Hi Craig,

Glad to hear this solution works. Now, I think this issue is possibly caused by differences between Windows XP and Windows Vista authentication systems. Based on that, you may use Administrator account to reassign privileges to the external hard disk.

Right-click the hard disk – Properties – Security tab, then give your original account full control privilege again. (<computer name>\<user name>)

If the problem persists, try to give everyone the full control privilege instead.

Let us know the result if possible.

Cheers,

Lionel

Friday, March 21, 2008 6:13 AM