Stack Overflow errors - Power Query (Active Directory) RRS feed

  • Question

  • I want to query Active Directory using Power Query for Excel 2013 but keep getting the following error as soon as I fill in the required information (domain name). Have tried using basic authentication with the same results. Initially I thought it was because I was connected via VPN but it does the same even on my corporate network. My AD account has sufficient rights to query AD.

    No errors in event logs or anywhere else I can find.

    Thanks in advance for the help.

    Monday, May 12, 2014 2:54 PM


All replies

  • Thanks for reporting this. It's a known problem whose cause we don't yet understand :(.
    Monday, May 12, 2014 2:57 PM
  • I am having the same exact problem on our corporate network with sufficient permissions.
    Thursday, May 29, 2014 5:56 PM
  • Just an update on other things I have tried.

    1. Tried using an account with local admin access on my PC as I normally operate as a least privileged user - no difference.
    2. Used Process Monitor and found a lot of references to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Power Query for Excel\bin\Microsoft.Mashup.Container.NetFX40.exe. I saw some instances where it was looking for directories under C:\Windows\GAC. Tried creating some of the directories it was looking for but no joy.

    So wondering if it is something related to .NET that is causing the problem...

    Monday, June 2, 2014 5:51 PM
  • Looks like it is a bug and will be fixed in the next release (late June).

    this is what I got from the MS Power Query team. Does not make a whole lot of sense to me but as long as it fixes the problem... :).

    We share credentials for domains in the same forest, if no specific credential is provided for a domain. In order to know if the domain is in the current forest, we must send a query. This query would then in turn make sure that the domain we're querying is in the current forest.
    This would not normally happen in a lot of cases since the domain in the credential store is the same domain that we use to send queries. This is not true however if the domain initially entered is a NETBIOS name.

    Avoid querying for the forest names if the domain used for the query is the fully qualified domain name (as this domain is required to query the forest names!).

    Friday, June 6, 2014 9:10 PM
  • BTW:

    My AD Power Query queries work fine from Windows 8.1, latest PQ release.

    I actually do some heavy AD queries w/ PQ - lots of Group & Get.Group.Member stuff.  We have over 10K user objects in our AD and I never expereicne this issue.

    (for what it's worth...)


    Friday, June 6, 2014 10:15 PM
  • I downloaded the latest version of PQ yesterday when it came out and can confirm it fixed the issue I was having.

    Wednesday, July 2, 2014 1:36 PM