none
Upgrading DPM2010 to DPM2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We currently have Server 2008 R2 sp1 installed on an HP server and a tape library attached to the server as well as a fiber channel SAN attached to the HP server.  We have DPM2010 installed on this server.

We have bought new server and want to install the latest Microsoft Server 2012 edition and the latest DPM 2012 edition.

My question is, If I attach the current SAN to the new server, will it overwrite the current data from the dpm 2010 installation? or is DPM smart enough to know to use the empty space.  If it is, then I can go to the old server, stop protection of each server one at a time, and add them to be backed up on the new server.  Will dpm2012 be able to re-catalogue tapes that were done by dpm2010?  If so that would be the only thing left to do, is re-catalogue the tapes that have dpm2010 information so I can do recoveries using dpm2012.

Thanks for the help.

Thursday, March 6, 2014 11:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In regards to the SAN you will need to allocate new volumes that are un-used to the new DPM server.

In regards to the tapes DPM 2012 /R2 can read data from DPm 2010 tapes. You will need to simply Recatalog an imported tape then you will be able to View tape contents and restore data from it. For more info see:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj628066.aspx

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.systemcenterportal.com
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Friday, January 2, 2015 7:30 AM