Remote Control stopped working after apply windows update RRS feed

• Question

• Was adding windows security patches into OS deployment task sequence and one or more patches may broke the remote control function. Here are what I've done:

1. grouped Microsoft Security & Critical updates into yearly groups (2013, 2014, 2015...)
    2. applied all those update groups to device collections
    3. deploy OS (windows 7 enterprise 32-bit) on a test PC
    4. test found the system center remote control stopped working
    5. remove update group 2015, re-deploy OS, test, same problem
    6. remove update group 2014, re-deploy OS, test, remote control back to work

the windows firewall was disabled by a group policy

from log the error was:

====== Starting remote control session with remote system ======> [computerName]    CmRcViewer    13/07/2015 1:35:50 PM    5452 (0x154C)
    Attempting connection to IPv4 address: IPADDRESS    CmRcViewer    13/07/2015 1:35:50 PM    5452 (0x154C)
    Failed to connect to address [IPADDRESS:2701].
    No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it. (Error: 8007274D; Source: Windows)    CmRcViewer    13/07/2015 1:35:51 PM    5452 (0x154C)
    Address Lookup failed for the target host: computerName.
    No such host is known. (Error: 80072AF9; Source: Windows)    CmRcViewer    13/07/2015 1:35:51 PM    5452 (0x154C)
    Failed to connect to remote system. This can be caused by several conditions: system is turned off, system cannot be reached, windows firewall blocks TCP Port 2701, or remote control feature is disabled.    CmRcViewer    13/07/2015 1:35:52 PM    5452 (0x154C)
    Sending 'Remote Control session failed to start' status message for session with remote system computerName  CmRcViewer    13/07/2015 1:35:52 PM    5452 (0x154C)
    Sent status message(30085) related to session with remote machine (computerName)    CmRcViewer    13/07/2015 1:35:52 PM    5452 (0x154C)
    The remote control session transport stream has been closed.    CmRcViewer    13/07/2015 1:35:52 PM    5452 (0x154C)

So it looks like some update blocked the remote control function. there are 842 items in the update group so to figure it out which one caused the issue by remove one then test then remove another one will take forever...

any suggestions?

Monday, July 13, 2015 5:59 PM

Answers

• Thanks for all suggestions.

The problem seems to be resolved by adding anther software update / restart process into the OS deployment task sequence. Maybe it just too many updates and without multiple restarts some update won't be installed correctly, and somehow broke the remote access function. Will do more tests to confirm this.

• Marked as answer by Jie Shu Wednesday, July 15, 2015 2:38 PM
    Wednesday, July 15, 2015 1:24 PM

All replies

• Hello,

A few things to try

Connect the computer with IP address

Refresh client policy and monitor with policyspy.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 6:08 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. I tried IP but that didn't help. Regards policyspy, what should I be looking for from it? Sorry but I'm new on SCCM and not very familiar with the tool.

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 5:23 PM
  • That can be a little tricky to figure out.

You don't have to go one-by-one through all of the updates. First try using the divide and conquer method. 

For example, you said that removed all of the 2014 updates and that Remote Control worked. Have you tried applying JUST the latest updates (i.e. 2015 only) to see if it still works? Perhaps there is an old update that was modified (presumably in the 2014 batch) that is causing the issue.

Also, assuming that you've whittled it down to an update within the 2014 year, try only applying the Critical Updates and re-test; and do the same for the Security Updates only, and again re-test. 

This way you don't have to go one-by-one, but can start to narrow it down. Once you figure out if it is within one grouping (i.e. Critical Updates), try applying only the first half of the year (i.e. Jan-June) updates; and vise verse. 

This way you can narrow it down quickly, and have a lot less updates to test against. 

Another thing to think about is filtering the updates based on other criteria (i.e. OS update, IE update, definitions, etc.). 

------- Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you.
    AdinE MCSE, MCSA, MCITP, MCTS; (Specializing in System Center Cloud and Datacenter Management)
    2015 Microsoft MVP in System Center Cloud and Datacenter Management
    LinkedIn: http://ca.linkedin.com/in/adinermie

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 5:39 PM
  • Thanks for all suggestions.

The problem seems to be resolved by adding anther software update / restart process into the OS deployment task sequence. Maybe it just too many updates and without multiple restarts some update won't be installed correctly, and somehow broke the remote access function. Will do more tests to confirm this.

• Marked as answer by Jie Shu Wednesday, July 15, 2015 2:38 PM
    Wednesday, July 15, 2015 1:24 PM
  • That can be a little tricky to figure out.

You don't have to go one-by-one through all of the updates. First try using the divide and conquer method. 

For example, you said that removed all of the 2014 updates and that Remote Control worked. Have you tried applying JUST the latest updates (i.e. 2015 only) to see if it still works? Perhaps there is an old update that was modified (presumably in the 2014 batch) that is causing the issue.

Also, assuming that you've whittled it down to an update within the 2014 year, try only applying the Critical Updates and re-test; and do the same for the Security Updates only, and again re-test. 

This way you don't have to go one-by-one, but can start to narrow it down. Once you figure out if it is within one grouping (i.e. Critical Updates), try applying only the first half of the year (i.e. Jan-June) updates; and vise verse. 

This way you can narrow it down quickly, and have a lot less updates to test against. 

Another thing to think about is filtering the updates based on other criteria (i.e. OS update, IE update, definitions, etc.). 

------- Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you.
    AdinE MCSE, MCSA, MCITP, MCTS; (Specializing in System Center Cloud and Datacenter Management)
    2015 Microsoft MVP in System Center Cloud and Datacenter Management
    LinkedIn: http://ca.linkedin.com/in/adinermie

Hi Adin, nice to see you here!
    Wednesday, July 15, 2015 1:32 PM