VISTA CRASHES AFTER INSTALLED.. (CONTINOUS REBOOTS) RRS feed

• Question

• I had Vista before thats all I want to start with.
    After January it all changed after I reinstalled.

I've been trying Vista since December.
    School gave me beta copy, also got other copies from the net etc. Worked fine.

Last week been trying to reinstall Vista again. I noticed it takes time and
    long to get into each different screen (very weird didnt happen before). Then
    after already installed and Welcome screen is going to show up. BOOM!! it
    crashes reboots doesnt show me no error or nothing.

Then the screen comes saying something wrong happened etc and etc etc I go
    into safe mode tells me windows cannot finish in safe mode, so I boot back
    normal again. and happens again.

I put in the dvd and boot from it following the directions it told me to go
    into repair.
    Repair mode cannot find a solution. So I vew the detais of the error and
    this is what it showed me

This is today with the Vista Retail DVD my school gave me a free copy but
    gotta return it back and they're going to give me Vista for free but I don't
    know if its Home Pro or what.

Problem Signature:
    Problem Event Name: StartupREpairV2
    Problem Signature 01: ExternalMedia
    Problem Signature 02: 6.0.6000
    Problem Signature 03: 0
    04: 65537
    05 Unknown
    06 FailureDuringSetup
    10 1168

After Vista has been installed it keeps rebooting and crashing itself when
    its about to go to Welcome Screen (First run after being installed)

Ok.. i'm in a technical/technology school. We been testing Vista since
    september. i started in december personally and all worked fine in my pc. But
    since January everything has been different dont know why. We got the MSDN
    dvd and it takes a long time to go from each screen to screen (partition, etc
    etc). Same error happens.

I just got the Retail DVD and it went installed fast so I thought it was
    going to work, but when it rebooted I already knew it wasnt going to work. SO
    why am I having this prob? when it worked before..

P4 Prescott HT 3.0ghz
    2x1gb ddr400 2x512mb ddr400
    160GB WD + 20GB WD
    Nec DVDRW
    ASUS P4P800-E-Deluxe mobo
    Sapphire Radeon X1600 PRO
    Monday, February 5, 2007 4:12 AM

All replies

• I'm experiencing a similar problem.

The upgrade from XP (sp2) to Vista Ultimate appears to run to completion.

The PC reboots, I first see a black screen with a small activity crawl at the bottom, then I see a black screen with just my mouse pointer showing (mouse is active and pointer moves), next I see the dreaded Blue Screen (no text), and then the PC reboot again, repeating the cycle.

I’ve tried the low resolution boot option.

I’ve tried the halt on error boot option, but the blue screen is still blank.

I’m upgrading a Dell XPS with 1024MB of ram.

Any error logs I should gather up?

What should be my next steps?

Suggestions?

Thanks,

…pjpg

Dell Dimension DIMXPS

Pentium 4 CPU 3.20 GHz

3.19 Ghz, 1.00 GB of RAM

Dual Video cards: 128MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800

Monitor: Dell 1703FP (Digital)

Monday, February 5, 2007 1:25 PM
  • I had Vista installed November, December.. January came in nothing was working.. Bought Vista Retail DVD still doesn't work WTF ?? wasted my $$$

Anyone please
    Monday, February 5, 2007 5:14 PM
  • I have a similar problem.

I boot my Vista Ultimate DVD.
    It then says cannot detect my DVD-Rom. I load the IDE drivers and then it works fine.
    After the first reboot, the green status bar shows up. Then it just crashes and the whole system reboots.
    I pressed F8 and selected Disable Auto Reboot at Error. The blue screen shows up after the Green Knight Rider Status Bar and says that there is something wrong with my Hard Drives drivers.
    My hard drive works perfectly fine with Windows XP so I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I think the problem is with Vista. It doesn't work with my IDE controller.
    I hope Microsoft is gonna solve this problem soon or does anyone knows a way around this?

6 Billions USD Windows Vista is just a piece of *** that can't even install in my new PC.

My PC:
    AMD 3500+
    MSI K9V MOBO
    1GB Corsair 667 RAM
    ATI Radeon x550
    160GB Maxtor HD

piece of ***!

Tuesday, February 6, 2007 5:56 PM
  • I had a similar issue. Im swapping Motherboards with one I know that should work. If I still have the same issue, then I know it isn't the Motherboard.
    Tuesday, February 6, 2007 7:37 PM
  • I tried to install Vista Home Premium yesterday with the same result, an endless loop of failed boot sequences.  I cannot return to XP either, as there is no option to roll back the installation.  I was told by MS tech support that my only option was to reformat the HD, reinstall XP and try Vista again.

It will take me 20 hours to restore my programs and documents.  I'm very upset.  Tech support told me that someone from the "Research Team" would call me yesterday, but, of course, no one has.  In the meantime, my hard drive is toast.

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 3:21 PM
  • Remove all of the external devices that is being connected with system

Start in Safe mode

Start in Safe mode with Networking and check for any upgrade

Run memdiag tool and if possible chkdsk also

If didn't resolve mail me back

Cool

Jhunnu

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 3:44 PM
  • If installation crash while doing upgrade and u r in loop, be prepared to loose urs Application but data u can save it

Install xp in other partiton and take back the data and do clean or upgrade installation of VISTA

ot do Clean installation of vista in other partition and take back the data from 1st partition

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 7:36 PM
  • Same problem here. Re-install and see if you have any luck. The problem is usually a hardware conflict or compatability issue.

Thursday, February 8, 2007 1:25 AM
  • I wish someone could solve this because I'm having the same problem.  After the "Expanding Files" install message the machine reboots and then gets caught in a continuous loop.  I'm wondering if has something to do with the ASUS P4P800 Deluxe Motherboard that I noticed another person in this forum having the same problem.  I just wish I could figure out what on this motherboard is causing the problem.  I disconnected all peripherals and even disabled the RAID Controller to boot from a plain IDE drive - no luck.  From what I've read this model motherboard is supposed to be compatible with Vista.
    Friday, February 9, 2007 9:06 PM
  • Well, I actually feel better.  I thought I was the only one having this problem.  I recently bought:

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit Single-Pack DVD

Western Digital Caviar SE 16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

OCZ OCZ2A8002GK 2GB Kit DDR2 PC2-6400 ATI CrossFire Dual Channel Memory

Asus M2R32-MVP 580X CrossFire Sempron/Athlon 64(FX)(X2) SktAM2 DDR2 ATX Motherboard w/Audio, Gigabit LAN, RAID/Serial ATA

ATI Radeon X1650 PRO PCI Express 512MB DDR Video Card x 2

Thermaltake W0083RU Silent PurePower 600W Power Supply w/Active PFC

Thermaltake Armor Series VA8003SWA Full Tower Case w/25cm Fan Side Panel (Silver)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 4200+ Socket AM2 (89W)

Liteon SH-16A7S 16X Serial ATA DVD±RW Drive (Black)

I got all my parts in the mail put it together like I have done in the past, and wammo, Windows setup freezes at detecting computer configuration 1/3 of the way through.  Patiently I wait for 20 mins and finally the bar starts moving again, only to move about 1 inch every 20 mins.  It was after I had created a username so I just let it run through the night and came back to the welcome window.  I tried clicking on a couple icons and it took about 20 mins for the computer to react.  At this point I restarted the computer, which took 20 mins to shut down.  Now windows won't load up anymore, it gets the knight rider bar at the bottom then reboots over and over again.  If I stop this process and try to load into safe modeit either A)resumes the constant reoot or B)turns the screen black and sits idle.  I tried removing my motherboard and setting it in a cardboard box to see if it was a grounding issue, no dice.  I tried formatting the hard drive and reinstalling windows, like clockwork it begins to stall at the detecting computer configuration process.  Nice to know I spent all this money on an oversized paperwieght.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Should I just use the Vista DVD as a cup coaster and install XP pro?

Saturday, February 10, 2007 5:44 AM
  • so I back up all my stuff to an external drive, unplug all my usb ***, and boot to the dvd (vista enterprise edition btw).

vista does it's thing, I delete the partition on my drive and make 2 new ones, then watch it install while I read a book...

it reboots, looks fine, starts loading the preparing for first boot ***, then goes blank, black screen comes up with my mouse pointer, then bam it reboots. vista crash handling/boot loader thing comes up asking for safe mode, I hit normal and it does the same thing, reboots to the crash handler.

on a hunch I figure the only external media I have is my keyboard/mouse (single usb plug, wifi deal) and my monitor, so I unplugged both but the computer rebooted twice before I gave up (heard the reboot beep).

so I figure forget vista, lets put xp back on right?

I can't install xp!!

during the install it die's saying can't copy blah blah, can't find blah blah, can't register xxx device (it's random).

things I've tried thus far:
    ran startup repair from vista installer, no solution...my diag screen matches that thread above)
    ran memtest/chkdsk/etc, all passed no errors
    3 hard drives, including 1 brand new maxtor 400gb sata drive I bought this morning from fry's
    2 power supplies
    2 dvd-burners
    2 vista dvd's, 3 winxp cd's
    installing vista onto the harddrive inside my spare desktop, then putting drive into my pc
    installing xp onto the harddrive inside my spare desktop, then putting drive into my pc
    flashed the bios

hardware I have in case you're curious -

Asus P5B mobo
    E6300 core2duo
    2x512mb DDR2 crucial ram
    Evga Geforce 7900GS KO
    500watt p/s (and tried a 350watt)
    NEC 3550 dvd-burner pata (and a lite-on pata lightscribe burner, I don't know the model #)
    Seagate 200gb baracuda pata hd (and deskstar 80gb pata, maxtor 80gb pata, maxtor 400gb sata)

computer was flawless since I built it in dec until I tried to install vista onto it, now I can't even run XP

when I installed XP onto the HD in my spare pc (p4 HT 3ghz, 2gb ram, intel p965 board) and then put the drive into my desktop, I can boot into windows but I get lots of random errors, like I can't install office, and randomly when I boot, logon.exe causes a failure and I have to reboot it to get it to work. Then I installed all the windows updates for XP and after rebooting it wont even load into XP on that drive.

right now I'm sitting through another fruitless winxp pro sp2 install...this time I'm doing a full format on the 80gb maxtor rather than a quick format...

yep, after the reboot for this install of XP it started the 'installing windows' portion, then rundll got an error, I hit ok!

then it goes to fill up the installing devices bar, it's at about 80% and a new box pops up

"device installer error
    windows could not load the installer for CDROM. contact your hardware vendor for assistance."

and the installer has locked up, can't click ok

I know vista business edition has "bitlocker" drive encryption, could that have changed up something on my mobo's ide controller bios? the P5B has the 'Jmicron' sata2/ide raid controller...

hope somebody can help me find a solution to this, I dont want to be stuck with a $900 paper weight of a desktop...
    Saturday, February 10, 2007 9:01 AM
  •  

I have a similar problem.

The computer hangs all the time when I try to use my Vista Home Edition 64bit.

I don't have any strange stuff in the computer, I use a :

Asus M2N-E motherboard with nvidia 570 chipset

7600 Geforce graphic card

4200+ AMD

2GB ddr2 memory

4 Sat II disks

I've been looking all over the web for a solution, if I install Windows XP the computer runs like a clock. No problem at all. Also works perfect with Linux.

I've tried the updated drivers for the chipset and graphic card that came out yeasterday from Nvidia. But then the problem get's worse. Now Vista woun't even boot up. Is this a chipset problem or what?

Anyone have any ideas? My mind is blank....

Did it realy take Microsoft 7 years to develop this ***? Seems like the worst OS of all times to me.....  I've never had this much problem with and OS before, and I have tried alot of them the last 18 years.

Saturday, February 10, 2007 4:52 PM
  • Do any Microsoft representatives post solutions on these threads or are we just yammering for nothing?
    Saturday, February 10, 2007 4:53 PM
  • I've been spending most of the day just reading forurms after Blogs after forums and realized hardly no one knows WTF is preventing us from properly installing vista whithout it rebooting forever. Also, many people are having difficulty just trying to do a clean install by booting up with the DVD or the 5 CD's.

Apache and zonk figured one thing out for sure. I don't know if it can apply to everyones who owns an ASUS motherboard, but they state that MAXDATA provides an BIOS update for vista that enables the bootloader to work as it should. Once thye updated it, they were able to boot from their DVD and install a clean OS. 

The version required for their MB is 0208. I've checked on their ftp server and found only 203. Let's say it is something to do with our BIOS versions and we all need to update it. Shouldn't ASUS and other companies have prepared themselves with legit updates that will make our MB compatible with vista's new bootloader architecture. 

Anyways, all i can say, is that, its not the vista dvd or cd,  disk reader. It's a motherboard issue!!!

Can't wait for asus to provide new bios updates!!! 

Saturday, February 10, 2007 10:19 PM
  • As a followup to my above post roughly 3 posts up;

I solved the problem today, it turns out I had some bad ram sticks.

I spent the weekend running back and forth to fry's trying different hardware, here's the list of *** I bought/returned -

Maxtor 400gb SATA HD and Plextor SATA DVD-Burner (to avoid the Jmicron IDE controller)
    Intel PG965CKLT motherboard

none of those items made a difference!

Finally I returned all 3 and bought a stick of Corsair XMS DDR2 800mhz 1gb ram, replaced the 2x512mb DDR2 533mhz Corsair value ram that I had before, and bam, I installed windows XP

I decided to try my luck and once that was done rebooted and popped in my vista DVD, and it installed completely, I am posting from my computer running vista right now.

sorry guys, my Asus P5B mobo wasn't the problem, it was my ram!

Monday, February 12, 2007 6:17 AM
  • I have dell D620 laptop,
    after vista ultimate installation i get blue screen with lot of text and the system restarts before i can read the message. Before installing vista i had vista RC1 which worked pretty well. The release version seems to be unstable. I see lot of other people have same problem is there no solution to this?
    Monday, February 12, 2007 8:49 AM
  • I have been trying to install Vista Home basic on my wifes dell for the past two days, and I am running into the same problems. I got so tired of it, I went out and bought a 15" Macbook Pro.
    Monday, February 12, 2007 1:57 PM
  • I've been having very similar issues.

I installed Vista x32 to my home built computer as described below.  The install went well but I was short of disk space.  I then ghosted the disk with ghost32 from gss2.0 to a Western Digital WD5000AAKS.  After that I had to reactivate, sucks.  I came home from work the next day and the machine was boot looping.  I ran all hardware diags and memory tests but everything looks good.  I then went to reinstall Vista to the 500 gig disk and wiped the partions when I started over.  After the install completes the machine reboots but when the PC is loading the OS I get an error message that Installation is unable to complete and that I need to reload my OS.  I've tried several different SATA settings to try and get things straightened out but no luck.  I reinstalled the original disk and the machine boots without issue.  I've seen several posts with similar issues and many of you have the same disk I do.   I'm hoping this will help us find the right path.

Item    Value   
    OS Name    Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Business   
    Version    6.0.6000 Build 6000   
    Other OS Description     Not Available   
    OS Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation   
    System Name    FENRIR   
    System Manufacturer    939M2   
    System Model    939Dual-SATA2   
    System Type    X86-based PC   
    Processor    AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3400+, 2200 Mhz, 1 Core(s), 1 Logical Processor(s)   
    BIOS Version/Date    American Megatrends Inc. P2.30, 9/25/2006   
    SMBIOS Version    2.3   
    Windows Directory    C:\Windows   
    System Directory    C:\Windows\system32   
    Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume1   
    Locale    United States   
    Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "6.0.6000.16386"   
    User Name    Fenrir\matt   
    Time Zone    Central Standard Time   
    Total Physical Memory    1,022.69 MB   
    Available Physical Memory    538.70 MB   
    Total Virtual Memory    2.26 GB   
    Available Virtual Memory    1.45 GB   
    Page File Space    1.29 GB   
    Page File    C:\pagefile.sys   

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 4:54 AM
  • Hi everyone!
    I am writting from Sweden. I am also have problems to install my new Vista Ultimate x64. My specs are:

ASUS M2N32-Deluxe AM2
    AMD 4200+ X2
    2x1 GB RAM Corsair DDR2 6400 800 Mhz
    HD SATA2 Western Digital Raptor 1500RPM
    External firewire HD
    2x nVidia 7600GT SLI

I ran WinXP in one HD, and installed Vista RC1 in another HD. All worked perfect.
    The problem started when I tried to install Vista Ultimate x64 on my external HD. I got errors at different stages, the computer hangs for hours, reboots or shows the tipical crash blue screen.
    - Sometimes when the installation is decompressing the files.
    - Sometimes when analyzing my computer (efter creating a new user account)
    - Sometimes it says that it cannot find my registry file!
    - I succeeded to come to the desktop but the UI reacted very slow, till it hung.

My Vista DVD is fine (I checked all sectors), my HD is fine as well (also checked). And as I said, everything works fine with Vista RC1 x64.

Saturday, February 24, 2007 10:01 PM
  • hello, I had this problem and it turns out it was an issue with a corrupt partition table or MBR. I used partition table doctor to reset both and i reinstalled vista and voila! Everything works fine. Hope this helps some of you.
    Monday, March 5, 2007 7:35 AM
  • Hi! Thank you for your tips!

Well, my Vista works now. This was my solution:

- Turn off the "SATA2 controller" on the BIOS.

- Install Vista on the primary SATA drive, not on the secondary one.

It seems that the problem was that Vista doesn't like my secondary HD. However, Vista RC1 worked fine on that HD.

Hope this helps!

Monday, March 19, 2007 12:01 PM
  • None of the tips worked for me. I've spent a day trying various bios options. I've disabled almost everything, disconnected my secondary HDD and any other device (besides the keyboard, DVD, HD and screen) but Vista still crashed at the same point (after the first restart during install).

Finally, I got it to work. The only thing that worked for me is installing Windows XP (clean installation on a formatted drive) and then upgrading to Vista.

Hope this helps anyone who is still stuck with this...

Monday, March 26, 2007 3:07 AM
  • I seem to be having the same problem, 'continuous reboots' after an upgrade to Windows Vista Home Premium', my RC1 upgrade worked fine, not a problem.

PLEASE HELP! It does seem like a number of people are having similar problems.

Here's a copy of my spec and the 'Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor' ouput;
    ---------------------------------
    Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor

CPU No action required Your computer's CPU is AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+
    System memory (RAM) No action required Your computer has 1.00 GB of RAM.
    DVD drive No action required Your computer can read DVDs.
    Computers Spec;
    AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 4200+ with HT Tech.
    Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition
    Brushed Aluminium ATX Midi Tower +550W PSU - Black
    ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe PCI-Express Mainboard - ATX
    1024MB DDR400 Memory - PC3200 (2x512)
    200GB Serial ATA Hard Drive with 8MB Buffer
    SONY 16x Dual Layer DVD-Re-Writable +R/-R/RW
    256MB nVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT - TV-Out + DVI - PCI-Express
    19" TFT Flat Panel Monitor - DVI & Analogue
    7.1 Channel Surround Sound Audio(on-board)
    Creative Labs T6060 - 5.1 Surround with Subwoofer
    Logitech Cordless Keyboard & Cordless Optical Mouse
    Free Microsoft® Works® 8.5 + 60 Days Microsoft Office Trial
    Free Cyberlink Video Editing Suite - 7 titles (oem)
    Belkin 54MBps 802.11G Wi-Fi PCI Card
    Network Ready integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet
    56KBPS Internal V92 Modem, featuring voice, data and fax.
    Monday, April 9, 2007 9:17 PM
  • Hi there,

I just started experiencing the same black screen of death! the weird part is that i've had vista home premium installed in my and wife's pc for over 2 months... Installed fine and everything worked perfectly. last week my wife rebooted here pc to find a black screen... It wouldn't go away... Then after about a week mine started doing the same thing! The only way I could boot into windows was in safe mode... Then I tried uninstalling the vid card from device manager and boom no more black screen but the funny part is that I can't update my vid card driver because vista won't boot if the vid card is installed in device manager... Anyway i backed up all my stuff and decided to do a fresh install. To my surprise.. now it won't even finish installing. After all the installing steps are done and it tells you that it'll take a moment for windows to start for the first time and goes back to completing the installation, then the loading bar appears and after that boom! black screen of death.

I can't get past that. I wonder why i'm getting this error now? It was working fine for over 2 months...no new hardware or anything... Please help. I noticed a lot of people are having the same issue.

My specs

asus motherboard p4p800 E deluxe latest bios...

geforce 6800 ultra oc latest driver...

raid 0 WD drives

Saturday, April 14, 2007 4:40 AM
  • updata the bios to 0804,but your sound will not working in windows xp system
    Saturday, April 14, 2007 9:48 AM
  • I had the same problem described in this thread with Vista Home Premium upgrade on a friends Dell Dimension C521 running Windows XP Media Center Edition.  The install went fine up to a point (not sure where because I left the PC due to "this may take several hours" message) and then it got into a continuous reboot cycle.  I was able to stop the reboots at a screen where I was given the choice to either boot Vista, boot an Earlier Version, or Rollback the install. 

I tried several things like rolling back to XP and then removing all hardware, doing driver updates, bios updates, unchecking all programs on Startup tab of MSCONFIG, etc. and then upgrading again to Vista.  None of this seemed to help.  Continuous reboots still occured.

This last time I tried the upgrade, I noticed I kept briefly getting a blue screen right before it rebooted.  The next time on the Windows Boot Manager screen I highlighted the "Microsoft Windows Vista" option and pressed the F8 key to get the options screen.  On the options screen I selected the option "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and this time after the next reboot, it stopped at the blue screen. 

The BSOD message I was receiving was "Driver mistakingly marked a part of it's image pageable instead of nonpageable".  The driver in question was SPTD.SYS.  I looked this up on Google and found it was related to Daemon Tools which basically is a program that allows users to run games without a CD.  The user of the PC confirmed that Daemon Tools was in fact being used on the PC. 

I then proceeded to boot from the Vista DVD and selected the "Repair Your Computer" option on the screen immediately after the "select your language" screen.  On the System Recover Options screen I selected the Vista install and clicked NEXT.  I had tried this repair before, on the advice of the Vista failed bootup screen, so I knew it wouldn't work.  On the second System Recover Options screen I selected "Command Prompt".  From within this command prompt, I navigated to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS and renamed the SPTD.SYS to SPTD.OLDSYS.  I then exited the Command Prompt window and rebooted the PC.  The PC continued past the BSOD and finished the installation!

Hope this helps someone.
    Saturday, April 14, 2007 4:36 PM
  • Superb post ESquared this worked for me, thanks.
    I searched for the SPTD.SYS file and renamed it to SPTD.OLDSYS, then ran the install again!  Im now updating from my Vista install, thanks mate, I owe you a drink!
    Saturday, April 14, 2007 10:41 PM
  • Had the same thing happen here is what I found. VISTA CRASH ON BOOTUP and BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH.

FLASHED BY but was able to see that there was a problem here is the answer

hardware or software non compatibility.

Hard boots did not work, safe mode did not work, last configeration did not work either.

MICROSOFTS PAGE that came up

http://wer.microsoft.com/responses/Response.aspx/10/en-us/5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0?SGD=b58c4903-e8f5-452e-a634-ff4406cbea55

Stop error was a non compatibility but advisor to upgrade to VISTA did not show any faults.I could not find the problem at all.

Seems that VISTA has deeper bugs then we realize. Only program that won't work on my system in Vista was Partition Magic but did not load it in Vista.   Seems there is something MORE than just what was happening. Its at the first boot up screen when the system reads past the bios and boots. Found out there is also a problem with the 6001 Vista Beta SP-1 that has come out that is when the problem started.

That is about all I can add on here
    Thursday, January 17, 2008 1:04 PM
  • Everyone posting this problem and blaming the OS shouls start checking their Hardware first.

Older or too new hardware may fail on it drivers.

Install a clean Vista, do not put in all extra's you have, just the bare minimum of add-on cards, you can do that later.

Use default drivers until you have a running PC, than, backup and start with the driver, ONE at the time!

If one fails, you can take a step back and go from there.

Friday, January 18, 2008 5:24 AM
  • How do you fix Bluescreen Reboot for Vista.  Feel like turffing Microsoft for you know who.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 6:28 PM
  • I just encountered this issue on my pc.

Asus motherboard, I went into the bios and disabled the external cache and it stopped giving the blue screen of death. The instant reboot's stopped also.

Until i can figure out a fix this has worked for me.
    Tuesday, February 5, 2008 9:27 PM
  • so i have a new dell xps m1330 and what i realized was this...you have to go into the BIOS disable cacheing and switch from AHCI to ATA...I've read that SP1 addresses this problem so, I will be trying to install that and revert back to default settings and see what happens.

hope this helps the lot of you
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 7:56 AM
  • Yes Windows VIsta does crash

espically if you upgrade from Windows Vista Home Basic to Windows Vista Home Premium

or XP Home Edition to Vista Home Premium

I have Windows Vista Home Basic Preinstalled and it is not geniune

Sunday, March 30, 2008 9:55 PM
  •  

same problem i had, with raid 0 as well. your hardrive, all partitons needs to be formatted. i did this and magically everything went back to normal and boots well, before this it would never boot up, kept saying boot failure
    Tuesday, June 17, 2008 11:09 PM
  • I had the same problem with one of my computers that had vista home premium installed on it. The hard drive started have a spaz attack and finally shutdown. Everytime I would reboot it would take me into a screen that wanted me to insert the repair disk in the cd-rom of which i didn't have. However when i got the sytem and started installing everything windows vista had prompted me to make restore disks,which i did. It took two high quality disks to creat restore disks,so when I inserted the first disk it prompted me to save all my personal files so I did that. However after  the computer was pretty well back to normal it prompted me to reinstall my personal files i had saved. So i inserted the disk that held my files and supposedly vista reinstalled them where they belonged. When i went to view them though all I had were file extensions and that was it. So with all the bull i still lost my personal files in the long run. However the computer is back to normal as far as running with vista. I just hope that vista fixes alot of problems they have. Word of warning make the rewstore disks and they will save some headache.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 1:23 AM
  • I have the same problem but I'm using a MB XFX 680lt sli, I change HDD, also I change the memory I try 32bit 64bit is the same problem. I some cases replace the HDD will do the job in my case didn't even diferent cd I will try again with a regular IDE hdd if that doesn't work I will flash the BIOS.

If someone has a better idea please let me know (Vista Ultimate 32/64bits)

Sunday, August 17, 2008 10:15 PM
  • In my long experience,this problem was a headache when i first came across it.
    I did as others,but being a longtime puter tech i remebered some similar issues with early computers.
    The problem actually lies in the bios settings that get changed by some fluke.
    An old virus did this as well,,,it simply changed the bios-harddrive report ,and to someone with little or no experience the computer would hang and crash at startup and/or while booting.
    The actual hard-drive reported in the bios is incorrectly reported,thus leading to stalling,hangups,reboots.
    If you are swapping from Xp to Vista or back,check your harddrive settings.
    The heads,cyls, etc,get reported wrongly causing major delays and blue screens.
    Sata drives and older drives are fussy about how they are reported,,LBA should be used as "auto" can become flaky
    within OS changes.You can actually see the difference between auto and LBA modes in the bios report.
    As said above,remove your extra video card,remove any extra card for loading OS.
    A driver issue will just add to the headaches.After your OS is up and running,,then add your vid/sound card (if optional)
    one by one.
    Hope this insight helps.
    Friday, December 5, 2008 4:50 AM
  • i have a quiet different problem here once while i was using my comp it suddenly restarted my comp then when i rebooted it showed that windows logo with that blue thingy that goes from left to right then comes a black screen then restarts when i tried safe mode it said press ESC to cancle loading SPTD.sys i pressed then again it restarts and even if i dont press esc it  restarts on its own
    please help me
    if you have any suggestions please tell me
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 6:16 AM