none
Why can't SQL maintenance plans be created with DPM 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• I've installed DPM 2010 several times now on Windows 2008R2, and after installing I try to create a SQL maintenance plan for DPM database maintenance using SQL Management Studio running on the DPM server.  However, every time I get the error listed at the bottom of this post in SQL 2008 Management Studio.  This is puzzling because these components are installed.  On some systems, I've been able to remove, reinstall, or repair SQL management tools and get the maintenance plans to work.  On others, I've not had success.  What is going on with the DPM SQL install that is causing this problem?  I don't typically have this problem when I install SQL myself.

Thanks.

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
    ------------------------------

The action you attempted to perform on a remote instance of SQL Server has failed because the action requires a SQL Server component that is not installed on the remote computer. To proceed, install SQL Server Management Tools on the remote computer, and then try again. For more information, see "How to: Install SQL Server (Setup)" in SQL Server Books Online. (ObjectExplorer)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=57083

BUTTONS:

OK

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 6:59 PM

Answers

• Hello,

DPM performs its own maintenance and\or garbage collection every night at 12 mid-night.  This is non-configurable.
    You will not be able to successfully setup a SQL maintenance plan for the DPM database outside of what DPM is already doing.

Thanks
    Shane
    Friday, October 8, 2010 6:00 PM

All replies

• Can you try posting this problem on SQL technet forum as well. Also Can you elaborate on what exactly were you trying to accomplish (what kind of operation).

thanks,

Parag Agrawal

Friday, October 1, 2010 7:42 AM
  • Hello,

DPM performs its own maintenance and\or garbage collection every night at 12 mid-night.  This is non-configurable.
    You will not be able to successfully setup a SQL maintenance plan for the DPM database outside of what DPM is already doing.

Thanks
    Shane
    Friday, October 8, 2010 6:00 PM