Alternative to HIDESHELL RRS feed

• Question

• Is there an alternative to HIDESHELL in MDT 2013 U2? If I use HIDESHELL, one of my applications  runs, but fails. then I get Dirty Environment window. If I set HIDESHELL=NO, then the  application installs fine. I tried adding this to a RunSynchronously command in my unattend.xml:  cmd /c reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v  Shell /d explorer.exe.old /t REG_SZ. The shell doesn't run.....but the task sequence won't  continue.

So as an alternative I've added a script to the startup folder to kill explorer.exe on every login. Is there a FinalAction variable equivalent to run a command after clicking Finish on the Final Summary page? Or is there another alternative to what I am doing?

Thanks.

Friday, February 26, 2016 2:45 PM

Answers

• Here's the alternative that I ended up using if anyone is curious. While putting a script in the startup folder is ok, it took a few seconds to execute and by that time a user could mess around on the desktop. I found this site that sets the delay to 0, so my script can run almost immediately: http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-reduce-the-startup-delay-for-desktop-apps-in-windows-8/. I didn't like my script being in the folder, so I put the command in the registry. So my additional lines I put in my unattend.xml is:

Specialize > RunSynchronous > RunSynchronous

cmd /c echo timeout /t 0 >> "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\noexplorer.bat" && echo taskkill /im explorer.exe /f >> "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\noexplorer.bat"

oobeSystem > FirstLogonCommands > SynchronousCommand

cmd /c reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Serialize" /v StartupDelayInMSec /d 0 /t REG_DWORD /f

• Marked as answer by lytvinh Monday, February 29, 2016 6:31 PM
    • Edited by lytvinh Thursday, March 10, 2016 8:06 PM
    Monday, February 29, 2016 6:31 PM

All replies

• SkipFinalSummary=YES

Logs are very important. https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Mention any customizations you have made.

Friday, February 26, 2016 7:28 PM
  • Here's the alternative that I ended up using if anyone is curious. While putting a script in the startup folder is ok, it took a few seconds to execute and by that time a user could mess around on the desktop. I found this site that sets the delay to 0, so my script can run almost immediately: http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-reduce-the-startup-delay-for-desktop-apps-in-windows-8/. I didn't like my script being in the folder, so I put the command in the registry. So my additional lines I put in my unattend.xml is:

Specialize > RunSynchronous > RunSynchronous

cmd /c echo timeout /t 0 >> "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\noexplorer.bat" && echo taskkill /im explorer.exe /f >> "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\noexplorer.bat"

oobeSystem > FirstLogonCommands > SynchronousCommand

cmd /c reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Serialize" /v StartupDelayInMSec /d 0 /t REG_DWORD /f

• Marked as answer by lytvinh Monday, February 29, 2016 6:31 PM
    • Edited by lytvinh Thursday, March 10, 2016 8:06 PM
    Monday, February 29, 2016 6:31 PM