Install SCCM Primary Site ADDS Naming Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Today I faced the following problem, caused of the Domain Infrastructure:

I got a Forest which start which, let me say "TLD.", so the UPN for adminstrator is administrator@TLD . Yes I don't know why, but that is a fact. So they got a Subdomain, in which all of the Users, Server and Computers reside. This domain is called, as example, company.TLD, so administrator UPN is administrator@company.TLD. So it is a forest, starting with TLD, with two domains: TLD and company.TLD.

But now to the problem: When installing SCCM 2012 in the Subdomain company.TLD, SCCM recognized, that this is a forest with subdomain. So in the installation wizard, the forest was correctly with TLD named, and the Domain company.TLD. But the wizard didn't let me go further, because it told me, that the forest value is not valid.

I entered in the forest value the same value as in Domain (comapny.TLD), and the wizard let me go on.

Is this a normal behaviour? (expect from the obvious "strange" ADDS configuration)

Monday, May 7, 2012 8:30 PM

Answers

• Actually, this is called Single Label Domain (SLD). The root domain of the forest is SLD (TLD) and it has a subdomain (company.tld).

The documentation now states that if you have a SLD, you need to have a disjoint namespace.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg682077.aspx#BKMK_SupConfigSLD

I would contact CSS to get an official answer from Microsoft if your scenario is fully supported: you don't have ConfigMgr related resources on a SLD, but your forest name is SLD!

Panu

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 8:39 AM

All replies