Shared mailbox - all folders not synchronizing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there.

I've got a shared mailbox with a few users connected to it. When the users drag and drop an item from the Inbox into an inbox subfolder in the account (which they can see the contents of and should have full access to since they have full access to the account). The message 'dissappears' for that user.

It's visible for the mailbox owner when logging in to the web portal though.

Again, the users are set up to have full access through the EMC for that mailbox.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 9:23 PM

Answers

• Hi Sukh,

Thanks again for the help. It turned out to be what I suspected, the mailbox was not created as a shared mailbox, after converting it with the cmdlet (after setting the shared mailbox user in AD to Inherit security permissions from inheritable objects):

Set-Mailbox mailbox@domain.com -Type Shared

The problem seems to have cleared itself up.

Note that I had to set Send-As and Full-Access permissions again after converting the mailbox. Seems like the conversion nukes the permissions set on the mailbox.

Thanks,

Aaron

• Marked as answer by aarondl Wednesday, December 7, 2011 5:41 AM
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 5:37 AM

All replies

• Try Outlook in online mode/cache mode?

Tried the shared mailbox in cache mode/or not - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982697

Same issue for all users who access this?

Tried creating a new profile and tested?

Sukh
    • Edited by Sukh828 Tuesday, December 6, 2011 10:52 PM
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 10:52 PM
  • Hi there,

The issue is for all users, all profiles are brand new so recreation seems unnecessary although I'll give it a shot if there's nothing else I can come up with. I turned off Cached Exchange mode and the problem persists whether it's on or off (which makes no sense to me).

Are there permissions that could be awry for folders inside a mailbox?

Thanks,

Aaron

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 11:17 PM
  • You said they have been give full mailbox access via the EMC right? So they should see all the folder.

When the message is moved to the sub-folder, is this an existing or new sub0folder created?

What if they simply logoff and on again?

Sukh
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 11:23 PM
  • They've been given full access in the EMC, it shows the users in the list.

They can connect to the account and view all folders/e-mails. The subfolder was imported from an existing PST file on Monday.

I found this, do these permissions matter if Full Access has been given on the root of a folder?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd298062(EXCHG.140).aspx

Also I stumbled on something here... turns out a shared mailbox may need to be created in a special way? I didn't realize this :\ Maybe that's my problem.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 11:30 PM
  • If they have full mailbox permission then they should have access to all folder within the mailbox.  That link is for specific folders.

If a problem users just simply opens the shared mailbox, do they see this sub-folder at all?  Or is it just the messages within the sub-folder they dont see?

What if the the problme user tries to access via logged in as themselves? - https://email.fourthcoffee.com/owa/tsmith@fourthcoffee.com

Sukh
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 11:35 PM
  • They see the subfolders and all e-mails inside, it's not until they drag and drop it that it dissappears and they can no longer find it.

I'll get back to you on the logging into owa as themselves.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 11:42 PM
  • When they drag and drop, they drag from inbox to the sub-folder in the inbox right?

Dont they see any messages, ie do they see the old ones or just the ones they have moved?

Sukh
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 11:45 PM
  • From inbox to sub-folder yes, they don't see the ones they just moved.
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 11:59 PM
  • can any of the other users see the ones say which another user moved?

What were the results from the OWA test?

What if you explicityly give permission on that sub-folder to all these user via Outlook?

Sukh
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 12:03 AM
  • Hi Sukh,

Thanks for the rapid-fire replies. I'm working remotely so it's a little difficult to execute tests.

I actually tried converting the mailbox to an actual shared mailbox, granted send-as and full-access, we're going to reboot the machine and re-add the profile for that mailbox and see what happens.

If that fails, I will get the OWA test done, check what other users are seeing, and as a very last resort assign subfolder permissions (that'd be a large overhead for us so I'll try to pass that one off haha).

Thanks so much for your help so far!

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 12:09 AM
  • no worries.

If it' too mcuh doing the permissions, is that because you have this issue with other shared mailboxes?

Also, I was going to say consider creating a new mailbox and test the process, if this work, could be an issue with that particular malbox, if works witht he test mailbox, then I'd consider maybe dumping to a PST, then create new mbx and import and test again.

Before doing that, try moving the mbx to another database and test too.

Which version of Exch? If 2010 try an repair - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff625221.aspx

ps. off to bed in 5 mins.

Sukh
    • Edited by Sukh828 Wednesday, December 7, 2011 12:19 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Rowen-Xu Wednesday, December 7, 2011 5:30 AM
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 12:18 AM
  • Hi Sukh,

Thanks again for the help. It turned out to be what I suspected, the mailbox was not created as a shared mailbox, after converting it with the cmdlet (after setting the shared mailbox user in AD to Inherit security permissions from inheritable objects):

Set-Mailbox mailbox@domain.com -Type Shared

The problem seems to have cleared itself up.

Note that I had to set Send-As and Full-Access permissions again after converting the mailbox. Seems like the conversion nukes the permissions set on the mailbox.

Thanks,

Aaron

• Marked as answer by aarondl Wednesday, December 7, 2011 5:41 AM
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 5:37 AM