none
SYSVOL Version Mismatch

Question

• Server 2012 R2 with all clients at Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

Had two DCs (Server 2008 R2), added the Server 2012 R2, took down the old main 2008R2, things were working fine, but as of last week PCs are slowly losing GPO settings.  Saying there is a mismatch, or that the policy is empty.  Tried the hotfix for the server, no luck.  Nothing seems to apply to having a Windows 7 PC.. any ideas?

Monday, June 20, 2016 7:30 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

SO you have tried the below hotfix but the issue persists, right?

"AD / SYSVOL version mismatch" message is displayed unexpectedly in the Group Policy Results report in Windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2866345

Unexpected "AD/SYSVOL version mismatch" message in Group Policy Results in Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2957985

Besides, please paste the detail description of these errors in our forum so that we can make further analysis.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 8:04 AM
  • Is this all GPO's or specific one's?  If specific ones, make a change to a setting in the GPO and it will force a replication to sysvol.  

Does the details tab in GPMC show different version numbers for certain GPO's.

Is the error giving you a Unique ID to identify which GPO has the mismatch?

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 3:06 PM
  • Yes I tried both fixes and it did not work.  All my PCs are running Windows Pro 7 so the 8.1 fix does not do anything.  The fix ran on the server, but the sysvol is still a mismatch.
    Friday, June 24, 2016 4:58 PM
  • It's mostly for printer GPOs that were pushed out through Print Management, but it is other GPOs as well.  I am filtering them and the security filters are working fine.  Any GPO that isn't applied says it is empty.  Some of the GPOs are brand new and are not applying, others are old and were applying up until last week.  I thought it was a windows update, did a system restore on the PC, had the policies apply, but by the afternoon the policies were not applying any longer.  I did just demote a DC and take it off line a few months back, but replication seems to be fine...
    Friday, June 24, 2016 5:00 PM
  • Hi,

Please try to remove client GPOs and do an gpupdate /force on the client to get new GPO from the server.

Check out this link:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/293034b2-db1a-442d-80a2-aecb1d79f822/clean-group-policy-from-client

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 2:48 AM
  • This did not work for me.  I am also having a DNS issue which could be part of the cause.  I did an  uninstall of DNS and a reinstall, no fix and I did ensure that both DNS settings are the same for both of my servers, but I still can't get it rights.  I am receiving error:

The description for Event ID (multiple numbers) in Source ( Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Server-Service ) cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer, or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer, or contact the component manufacturer for a newer version.

If the event was saved from another computer or forwarded from a remote computer, you might have to include display information with the events when saving them or when setting up the forwarding s.

• Edited by kdinardi12 Thursday, July 07, 2016 7:28 PM
    Thursday, July 07, 2016 7:28 PM
  • Hi,

I am sorry that this issue still hasn't been resolved.

If there is no progress, I would suggest you contact Microsoft Customer Services and Support to get an efficient solution:

http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ln=en-au

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Monday, July 11, 2016 8:00 AM
  • Hi,

Where you able to fix this issue?

Best Regards,

Monday, January 09, 2017 11:16 AM