Cannot install Security Updates for Windows 2008 R2 SP1 - Not applicable to your system. RRS feed

• Question

• I tried to install the following Security Updates but everytime the installer returns that "It is not applicable to your system".  I am running MS Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise with SP1.

Really appreciate if someone can advise.  Thanks a lot

Security Update for Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Edition 

KB2271195 MS10-065 2271195
    Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64-based Systems KB2539634 MS11-069 2539634
    Security Update for Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Edition  KB982666 MS10-040 982666
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 11:24 AM

Answers

• The two MS10- security updates are quite likely contained within Service Pack 1, no real surprise there. Have you reviewed the fix-list for R2 SP1 to see if those updates are included? These two updates report as NotApplicable on every one of my Win7SP1, Win2008R2SP1, and Win2008SP2 systems.

MS11-069, released August 2011, could not be superseded, so my question here would be: Have you confirmed that MS11-069 is NOT INSTALLED? Or, also relevant: Is the .NET Framework v3.5 Feature actually installed? (If .NET35 is not installed, then the .NET35 security updates are NotApplicable.)

For that matter, WHY are you manually installing updates anyway -- why not let the WUApp scan, detect, and identify the applicable and needed updates and install those? In my experience, admins who try to second-guess the WUApp/WUAgent, almost always end up on the wrong side of a lot of wasted time doing things that did not need to be done.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2011)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    My Blog: http://onsitechsolutions.spaces.live.com
    • Marked as answer by Clarence Zhang Thursday, November 3, 2011 1:22 AM
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 4:44 PM

All replies

• The two MS10- security updates are quite likely contained within Service Pack 1, no real surprise there. Have you reviewed the fix-list for R2 SP1 to see if those updates are included? These two updates report as NotApplicable on every one of my Win7SP1, Win2008R2SP1, and Win2008SP2 systems.

MS11-069, released August 2011, could not be superseded, so my question here would be: Have you confirmed that MS11-069 is NOT INSTALLED? Or, also relevant: Is the .NET Framework v3.5 Feature actually installed? (If .NET35 is not installed, then the .NET35 security updates are NotApplicable.)

For that matter, WHY are you manually installing updates anyway -- why not let the WUApp scan, detect, and identify the applicable and needed updates and install those? In my experience, admins who try to second-guess the WUApp/WUAgent, almost always end up on the wrong side of a lot of wasted time doing things that did not need to be done.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2011)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    My Blog: http://onsitechsolutions.spaces.live.com
    • Marked as answer by Clarence Zhang Thursday, November 3, 2011 1:22 AM
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 4:44 PM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 1:21 AM