Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit version 6.5.4229.01 RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed MAP in a client environment, running all data collection options under AD admin privilege, however the tool fails to collect any data on the MS Cluster. (In the AD Discovered devices table, I am able to see the names of the cluster nodes, however  all tables with MSCluster-* have no records)

Do I need to do anything special on the tool for it detect the SQL & other clusters on the network?

Thx

Jay

Jay Tabatabai

• Edited by jaytaba Thursday, May 17, 2012 1:28 PM more useful info
    Thursday, May 17, 2012 1:07 PM

Answers

• MAP only collects information on SQL clusters. In the report called "SqlServerAssessment-date-time.xlsx" in the "DatabaseInstances" worksheet there is a column called "Clustered?" and "SQL Server Cluster Network Name". Are you finding that it is not correctly reporting machines as part of a cluster?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by Michael Switzer01 Friday, May 18, 2012 5:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by jaytaba Monday, June 18, 2012 7:05 PM
    Friday, May 18, 2012 1:16 AM

All replies

• MAP only collects information on SQL clusters. In the report called "SqlServerAssessment-date-time.xlsx" in the "DatabaseInstances" worksheet there is a column called "Clustered?" and "SQL Server Cluster Network Name". Are you finding that it is not correctly reporting machines as part of a cluster?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by Michael Switzer01 Friday, May 18, 2012 5:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by jaytaba Monday, June 18, 2012 7:05 PM
    Friday, May 18, 2012 1:16 AM
  • You are correct, and I do see that databases in the report marked as clustered.

However none of the tables listed below have any records in them, looking at Cluster administrator I see values for Nodes, resources, Resourcegroup, Network , …  What is the purpose of these tables, if they are not being populated?

MSCLUSTER_AvailableDisk

MSCLuster_Cluster

MSCluster_ClusterSharedVolume

MSCluster_Disk

MSCluster_DiskPartition

MSCluster_Network

MSCluster_NetworkInterface

MSCluster_Node

MSCluster_Resource

MSCluster_ResourceGroup

MSCluster_ResourceType

MSCluster_Service

Jay Tabatabai

Friday, May 18, 2012 2:14 AM
  • I'm not sure why your tables are empty, but the sample database that is in the MAP Training Kit (available on the MAP Download Center page) does have information in those tables. MAP does not report on Windows Server clusters, only SQL Server clusters, and the fact that MAP might be aware a server is in a Windows Server cluster is a side effect of collecting info for other scenarios. Although I don’t know the exact reason, I would guess the tables were created because it was noticed that we collect that info as part of getting the installed feature list and someone thought they would add cluster info to some report, but then it never got implemented. 

This is not uncommon in the MAP database. If you look through some of the tables you will see a lot of data that never gets surfaced. Usually this is a side effect of how we have to collect data. Rather than query for specific objects or properties we have to use the “SELECT * from [WMI_Class_Name]” type query because WMI returns an error if a specific property happens to not exist on that machine. As such we get a lot of data back that we have to parse, and often times the extra data gets put into a table in case we need the info for some future feature. That has worked out for us so far, but now MAP is becoming so feature rich that we found we need to stream line our queries and the data we keep. Over the next few releases we hope to dramatically improve performance and reduce the data stored, especially in large environments with lots of data.

Friday, May 18, 2012 5:00 PM