none
HIS 2010 Minimum Topology Requirements RRS feed

• Question

• HI, 

Given that I've never used HIS before, I was asked to assess the bare minimum requirements in terms of HIS instances required to give access to a legacy application on mainframe from a custom .NET application granting a minimum level of high availability; I know that this sentence could be in some way contradictory but the point is to minimize the costs related to the Biztalk 2010 license required (that,  as far as I understood, has to come in the Enterprise edition in order to enable scaling out/high availability scenarios).

Now, I imagine two HIS nodes where on each node I have installed a SNA Gateway Service and a Transaction Integrator component; is this assumption correct or is there something wrong in this kind of basic topology? Is this acceptable from a performance and scalability point of view? I know that is suggested to separate the deployment of the Transaction Integrator server (on a dedicated application server) from that of the SNA Gateway services, but again, the first objective is to keep down the license cost of Biztalk (being HIS under the same hat). 

Thanks for any feedback on the question.

Friday, December 14, 2012 4:28 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Do you plan only to use the SNA Gateway and Transaction Integrator Component ? 

You also can use HIS to connect to DB2 and for 3270 Emulation.

In all this scenarios a good architecture is the key of success. Depending on the load you would like to scale, 2 servers would be enough to start.

You may use Virtual Servers or Virtual Servers. Depending on what you want to do, a physical server with SSD disks would be the best if you plan to have a high load of executions. 

For the TI (CICS) part, it's important to know how you would like to expose your CICS Transactions. On easy way would be the use of WCF / Webservices hosted in IIS (Internet Information Services). HIS 2010 is supported on Windows Server 2008 R2 and not on Windows Server 2012. If you plan to use Windows Server 2012 because of the new IIS 8, you have to wait for HIS 2013.

Please let me know if you need more information about a scalable HIS Infrastructure.

Best Regards,

Steve Melan - BCEE My Blog : http://stevemelan.wordpress.com

Wednesday, January 2, 2013 9:37 AM

All replies

• You might want to have a look at the HIS 2010 Licensing FAQ to see if it addresses some of your questions. You can download the FAQ at http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=27553.

For the scenario that you describe, you should be able to license BizTalk Server 2010 Standard Edition:

Q.  What are standard deployments of HIS 2010 licensed with BTS 2010 STD?

A.  Standard deployments are where you utilize HIS 2010 server components in parts of your organization that require average connectivity with moderate scalability, basic fault tolerance and essential failover. Standard deployments are limited to 2 processors. A standard deployment can be two or more SNA Gateway servers working together as part of a group called an “SNA subdomain”, enabling basic load balancing and fault tolerance, providing centralized host connectivity for distributed applications.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

• Marked as answer by giuseppec Monday, December 17, 2012 4:18 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by giuseppec Monday, December 17, 2012 6:02 PM
    Monday, December 17, 2012 3:18 PM
  • Hi,

Do you plan only to use the SNA Gateway and Transaction Integrator Component ? 

You also can use HIS to connect to DB2 and for 3270 Emulation.

In all this scenarios a good architecture is the key of success. Depending on the load you would like to scale, 2 servers would be enough to start.

You may use Virtual Servers or Virtual Servers. Depending on what you want to do, a physical server with SSD disks would be the best if you plan to have a high load of executions. 

For the TI (CICS) part, it's important to know how you would like to expose your CICS Transactions. On easy way would be the use of WCF / Webservices hosted in IIS (Internet Information Services). HIS 2010 is supported on Windows Server 2008 R2 and not on Windows Server 2012. If you plan to use Windows Server 2012 because of the new IIS 8, you have to wait for HIS 2013.

Please let me know if you need more information about a scalable HIS Infrastructure.

Best Regards,

Steve Melan - BCEE My Blog : http://stevemelan.wordpress.com

Wednesday, January 2, 2013 9:37 AM