Remove Date/Time context from systray RRS feed

• Question

• How can I remove the right-click context menu from the system tray that shows "Adjust Date/Time"? 

I am trying to keep users from changing system time (and causing application disasters).  I can easily turn off the clock itself from the tray and even remove the Date/Time reference from Control Panel but if the user can still simply right-click on the system tray to be able to change the time, he can still cause issues.

We have created a .Net app that will remove the clock and cpl and replace their clock with one that does not cause doomsday.

Thank you

James
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:28 PM

Answers

• Hi James_TX,

I think the best thing in the long term is to find out why your users need admin rights. If it's badly written software, the onus is on the vendor(s) to fix their programs. Aaron Margosis' blog (http://blogs.msdn.com/aaron_margosis/) is a great source of info about this very problem.

Bill
    • Proposed as answer by Bill_Stewart Sunday, September 13, 2009 6:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bill_Stewart Wednesday, October 21, 2009 5:26 PM
    Friday, September 11, 2009 2:55 PM

All replies

• Hi James_TX,

IIRC, date/time changes require administrator permissions.

Bill
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 4:00 PM
  • Hello Bill,

The nature of the machines is that we log in as local admin.  Users have to access applications on the machines, which require administrator access.

So, we have access to make changes.  But, I am not sure if you are saying that "if we take away admin rights, the problem goes away" or just making sure we have admin rights.

Unfortunately, we can not change the way we login due to the application requirements and what I will call "years of doing it this way".

We actually need our support staff to adjust date/time when needed and I had planed to have them do that from a command line once I determined how to remove the Date/Time feature from the systray.

Thank you

James
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 4:40 PM
  • Hi James_TX,

You probably already know this, but if all of your users have admin rights, then you can't really stop them from changing the clock or doing anything else (including installing and uninstalling their own applications, getting infected with malware, etc.).

Bill
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 9:31 PM
  • Bill,

That is what I was afraid of.  I tried using gpedit to just turn off acces to adjust date and time but this keeps the tech guys from using the command prompt to correct time as well.

Thank you for your input.

james

Thursday, September 10, 2009 10:26 PM
  • Hi James_TX,

I think the best thing in the long term is to find out why your users need admin rights. If it's badly written software, the onus is on the vendor(s) to fix their programs. Aaron Margosis' blog (http://blogs.msdn.com/aaron_margosis/) is a great source of info about this very problem.

Bill
    • Proposed as answer by Bill_Stewart Sunday, September 13, 2009 6:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bill_Stewart Wednesday, October 21, 2009 5:26 PM
    Friday, September 11, 2009 2:55 PM