Public Folders failed - Database is mandatory on UserMailbox RRS feed

• Question

• Exchange Server 2013 on Windows 2012r2

One of our customers had a mail server failure, due to a crypto (which also effected their backups).

The server was rebuilt (by my 'out of hours' colleagues), but they had problems during the build, so they had to use ADSIedit, to remove mention of the old server.

They managed to get the databases mounted, and restore mail flow, but the public mailboxes are no longer working.

If i try to access them from withing ECP, i get a message saying: "Warning the object JAMES.LOCAL/users/masterhierarchy has been corrupted, and it's in an inconsistent state. the following validation errors happened: Database is mandatory on UserMailbox

If i try to get details of the mailboxes from PS, i get:

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-Mailbox -PublicFolder | FL Name,c2219aab-e7ef-4537-bf78-12eab673694b

Name : Public Folders

WARNING: The object JAMES.LOCAL/Head Office/Public Folders has been corrupted, and it's in an inconsistent state. The
    following validation errors happened:
    WARNING: Database is mandatory on UserMailbox.
    WARNING: Database is mandatory on UserMailbox.
    Name : MasterHierarchy

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>

I've found this site, that shows me how to recreate the hierarchy, but is it possible to get any of the data back ?

http://www.careexchange.in/how-to-recreate-public-folder-master-hierarchy-in-exchange-2013/ 

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 1:43 PM

All replies

• I don't know why you put the GUID in the FL since it's not a property name.

You have a corrupt arbitration mailbox.

The very smart Jaap has written this article to help you.

https://jaapwesselius.com/2015/10/14/exchange-2013-recreate-arbitration-mailboxes/

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Thursday, April 27, 2017 7:19 AM
  • Thanks for getting back to me.

I tried the first part of what Jaap suggesting, but i'm not seeing any problems with the arbitration mailboxes:

-----------------------

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-mailbox -Arbitration

Name                      Alias                ServerName       ProhibitSendQuota
    ----                      -----                ----------       -----------------
    SystemMailbox{1f05a927... SystemMailbox{1f0... james-alf-ex01   Unlimited
    SystemMailbox{bb558c35... SystemMailbox{bb5... james-alf-ex01   Unlimited
    SystemMailbox{e0dc1c29... SystemMailbox{e0d... james-alf-ex01   Unlimited
    Migration.8f3e7716-201... Migration.8f3e771... james-alf-ex01   Unlimited
    FederatedEmail.4c1f4d8... FederatedEmail.4c... james-alf-ex01   Unlimited

Thursday, April 27, 2017 1:52 PM
  • Oh, you're having a problem with the hierarchy. Is your public folder mailbox corrupt?  Has the public folder mailbox become disconnected from the actual mailbox?

You might want to open a support ticket with Microsoft to try to get the data back.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Thursday, April 27, 2017 11:10 PM
  • Hello,

For your question, I want to confirm the way to rebuild corrupt Exchange server, install it by using Setup /m:RecoverServer?

Since this issue only occurs on public folder mailbox, and I suppose that the database which host this mailbox has been deleted in Exchange server, i.e. removed from AD.

To fix this issue, I recommend to recover this deleted database to live, then we can get this public folder mailbox back (there're other mailboxes may be, for example monitoring mailbox, archive mailbox).

More details, refer to:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee332351(v=exchg.160).aspx

Aslo, to prevent data lose, it's highly recommend to contact and open a ticket with Microsoft.

Best Regards,

Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 28, 2017 6:40 AM