Programs and Features RRS feed

• Question

• I have vista home basic edition and am the administrator of my home computer. I have cable internet connection and recently decided to download there security software. During the process a window popped up telling me i had a few programs on my computer that were not compatible and that they needed to be removed. Sounds easy i have removed programs before but this time when i tried to open programs and features it would not open. All the other options in my control panel open but this one. Please help.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 8:43 AM

Answers

• I hate saying it, but you may be forced to perform a reinstall of Vista to get evrything back to normal.

First, you need to backup and important data,files, pictures, music, and etc, that you want to keep to external media.

Depending on how Vista was installed, this can be easy or difficult. If Vista came pre-installed on your computer, it's likely that the only way to reinstall is to use the System Recovery Disk or Recovery Partition that came with the PC. This will take the system back to the same state it was in when you bought it and will require you to reinstall all of your programs. You will need to consult the documentation for the system to find out the procedure for accomplishing this.

If you have a Vista installation disk, either Full or Upgrade, you can simply start Vista, insert the disk and use the 'Upgrade' option to install. The Upgrade Install will preserve all of the currently installed programs and data.

Let me know the results or if you need more information.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    This will help others who are having this issue find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Monday, May 26, 2008 5:08 PM

All replies

• Press the Windows Key+R to bring up the Run dialog box.

Type   appwiz.cpl   in the Run box and press OK.

Does this bring up the Programs and Features component?

If it does, go back into Control Panel and try to open Programs and Features again. If it is still not working, I would suggest running the System File Checker utility to make sure the integrity of all the system files are good.

Quit all running programs, including any antivirus or anti-spyware programs.

Go to Start/All Programs/Accessories.

Right click the 'Command Prompt' item and select 'Run As Administrator' from the popup menu.

In the command prompt window, type   sfc /scannow    and press Enter.

This will take some time to complete, be patient.

After the scan is complete, reboot the computer.

Check for the problem again.

If the problem is still there, I would recommend using System Restore to go back to a point where the component was working.

Let us know.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 6:20 PM
  • Hi, and thank you for your help. Unfortunately the problem still remains and it's starting to make me crazy. When I did the Run suggestion you could see the frame of a window trying to come up but didn't. The scan stated that bad files were found, but were unable to fix some. I tried reading the long but I really didn't understand it. So I just rebooted but still no luck. I did try System Restore before contacting you but was only able to go back to the 13th of May. Is there a way that I can go back further. Once again thank you for your help.

Friday, May 23, 2008 6:40 AM
  • Hi

OK, you can get a much smaller and more focused log on the results of the SFC /SCANNOW procedure.

Start the Command Prompt as administrator the same way I described in the last message. In the command prompt window, type the following, exactly as shown.

CD\     (Press Enter)

CD Users\username\Desktop   (Press Enter)

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt  (Press Enter)

*Replace "username" with the name of the account you are logged on with.

This will place a file named sfcdetails.txt on your Desktop. This log will only show the results of the SFC command.

In the sfcdetails.txt file, try to identify the bad file names. A typical entry would look like this.

Code Snippet
    2008-05-22 11:10:55, Info                  CSI    00000109 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:30{15}]"PurblePlace.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-Shell-InboxGames-PurblePlace, Version = 6.0.6001.18000, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store,

The important part of this text is the actual name and description of the file. In this case, you can see that it is:

'PurblePlace.dll of Microsoft-Windows-Shell-InboxGames-PurblePlace'

Include the names of all the files and description that could not be repaired in a reply here.

-----

In System Restore, on the first screen, click the  'Choose a different restore point' option.

On the next screen, place a check mark in the ' "Show restore points older than 5 days" option.

This will show you the maximum number of restore points that are available.

----

You might also want to check with the makers of that 'security software' that you installed just prior to this problem for any known bugs or issues with that program when installed on Vista.

Let us know what you find.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Friday, May 23, 2008 4:50 PM
  • Try to re-register Appwiz.cpl and Mshtml.dll and see if it helps.

Open cmd > regsvr32 mshtml.dll > Enter , etc ...

Saturday, May 24, 2008 11:54 AM
  • Hi,

Still no luck but here is a list of the files that could not be repaired.

There were four all the same.

2008-05-22  22:14:05,  Info     CSI     000000f1    [SR] cannot repair member file [1:24 {12}] "osbaseln.dll" of microsoft-windows-service reporting Api, version=6.0.6000.16386, pa=Processor_Architecture_Intel (0) culture..............store hash mismatch                                         

000000f3

0000013d

0000013f

I did run the scan again and it was the exact same for the 23rd

System Restore does not offer "Choose a different restore point option" Just, How does System Restore Work and Open System Protection. On the next screen when a ran it before I did mark the "Show restore points older than 5 days option and it only went back to the 13th. I was surprised because I know on XP you had the whole month to choose from.

I also checked with with the security software makers and the only known Vista problem were for those who upgraded to Vista from XP. Plus I never got the software fully installed because of the incompatible programs which I could not uninstall.

Once again I would like to thank you for all your help.

Saturday, May 24, 2008 2:51 PM
  • That file 'osbaseln.dll' is the Service Reporting API. I'm not sure whether this file would be associated with the current problems or not?

System Restore works by creating a new restore point each day, or when a new program is installed, or when important system updates are installed. The amount of available restore points depends on how much disk space is allocated to SR. When that space is almost full, the oldest restore points will be deleted to make more space available. So the number of available restore points is based on the number and size of the restore points that have been created, not on a calendar schedule.

I would recommend booting to Safe Mode and using System Restore to go back to the oldest available restore point.

To get Safe Mode, reboot the system, press and hold the F8 Key as soon as the system starts to boot until you see a black screen menu. Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode and press Enter. Be patient, it may take a few minutes to get there.

Once you are in safe mode, start and run SR as you normally would.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Saturday, May 24, 2008 7:07 PM
  • Hi,

I tried System Restore in Safe Mode. I still was only able to go back to the 18 of May. I understand how SR works. But I don't understand why I can only go back 7 days. Thank you for continuing to help.

Sunday, May 25, 2008 9:09 AM
  • I have been doing more research on this. Try the following.

Copy the text between the 2 dashed lines. (Don't copy the lines)

---------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU]
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags]

---------

Open Notepad and paste this text.

Click File / Save As.

Save the file to your Desktop with the name   reset.reg

Close Notepad.

Go to the Desktop, right click this file and select the 'Merge' option.

Confirm the merge message.

Exit everything and reboot the computer.

When the computer restarts, open Control Panel and try Programs and Features again.

This registry file will reset all of the folder view options on the system. These will be rebuilt when you reboot the computer. You may need to reconfigure some of the folder settings in Windows Explorer.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Sunday, May 25, 2008 6:01 PM
  • Hi Ronnie,

I'm sorry to say, but this didn't work either. When I confirmed the merge a window with a big red X popped up. It said,"Cannot import C:\Users\gabby_md\reset.reg: The specified file is not a registry script. You can only import binary registry files from within the Registry editor." I'm sorry if this is starting to make you crazy too.   Thank you

Sunday, May 25, 2008 8:25 PM
  • OK, lets try that registry edit manually.

Press the Windows Key+R

This will bring up the Run dialog box.

Type   regedit.exe   in the Run box and click OK.

Click Continue on the UAC prompt.

When the registry editor opens, navigate to the following Key.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER

-Software

-Classes

---Local Settings

----Software

-----Microsoft

------Windows

-------Shell

Expand the Shell Key and you should see these 2 keys.

BagMRU

Bags

Right click each of these keys and select Delete from the menu.

Press the F5 key to refresh and exit the registry editor.

Reboot and try Programs and Features again.

Let us know the results.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Sunday, May 25, 2008 9:17 PM
  •   Sorry, this wasn't it either.  Thank you though for trying.

Monday, May 26, 2008 1:13 AM
  • OK, this thing sure is getting tough!

One last gasp.

Press the Windows Key+R to bring up the Run Dialog Box.

Copy/Paste the following command, exactly like it is shown.

RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL appwiz.cpl,,0

Click OK.

Let us know the results.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Monday, May 26, 2008 1:25 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry still nothing. I don't know what caused this to happen but it sure is causing alot of aggrevation. Thanks

Monday, May 26, 2008 6:18 AM
  • I hate saying it, but you may be forced to perform a reinstall of Vista to get evrything back to normal.

First, you need to backup and important data,files, pictures, music, and etc, that you want to keep to external media.

Depending on how Vista was installed, this can be easy or difficult. If Vista came pre-installed on your computer, it's likely that the only way to reinstall is to use the System Recovery Disk or Recovery Partition that came with the PC. This will take the system back to the same state it was in when you bought it and will require you to reinstall all of your programs. You will need to consult the documentation for the system to find out the procedure for accomplishing this.

If you have a Vista installation disk, either Full or Upgrade, you can simply start Vista, insert the disk and use the 'Upgrade' option to install. The Upgrade Install will preserve all of the currently installed programs and data.

Let me know the results or if you need more information.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Monday, May 26, 2008 5:08 PM
  • Hi Ronnie,

It took me a few days to get it all done but I backed up all my file and ran system recovery. All is well with my computer again. Thank you for all your help.

Thursday, May 29, 2008 1:40 PM
  • Your very welcome.

Thanks for letting us know the result. This will help others in the future.

Regards.

------------------------------

Ronnie Vernon

Microsoft MVP

Thursday, May 29, 2008 3:14 PM