Windows Deployment Service Management Pack will not discover R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I discovered an issue on the WDS management pack today.  The 'Windows Deployment Services 2008 role discovery' object discovery is targeted at the 'Windows Server 2008 Full Computer' class.  All of our servers are R2.  I checked the Windows Server 2008 Computer group and that class does not discover, rather the class is 'Windows Server 2008 R2 Full Computer'.  How do you get this object discovery to point at the proper class.  I tried to override, but that didn't make sense to me nor did it work.  Seems the MP needs an update to work with R2.  Thanks.
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 12:15 AM

Answers

• Perhaps you can point me to where you got your WDS for Server 2008 R2.  The one in the marketplace and on the download center were published in 2008 - long before there was a Server 2008 R2.  I have checked the guide, and I have checked the MP, and can only conclude that you have a version of the WDS mp that I cannot find.

Microsoft Corporation
    • Proposed as answer by Nicholas Li Wednesday, August 10, 2011 8:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Wednesday, August 17, 2011 5:54 AM
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 7:57 PM
  •  

May I know if you are using this Management Pack? I think it doesn’t support Windows Server 2008 Support R2.

Windows Deployment Services Management Pack for Operations Manager 2007

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&=tm&id=5348

Thanks.
    Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 8:17 AM
  • WIN.  I mean who wouldn't expect a management pack to support a release that's been out since 2009.  Silly me.  Now that we've identified my issue is misreading the support (which I already mentioned I knew) can someone let me know how I can fix this oversight?  An override doesn't appear like it will work.  Could I get an unsealed version, I could do the 10 minute legwork on the discovery rule, and hopefully it could make it out of QA in under 2 years.
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 8:10 PM
  • Thanks for confirming that you have misread the support statement in the pack.

Unfortunately, we don't have an MP on file for WDS for Server 2008 R2. I am starting a conversation at MSFT to learn what happened and to make sure the server role wasn't simply renamed.  Looking ahead at this point to Windows 8 packs - we want to make sure we aren't missing one.

Microsoft Corporation
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 9:02 PM

All replies

• I read the above, let me clarify a point I know someone will inadvertantly assess.  I check the Windows Server 2008 Computer Group (view group members) because the column on the right shows the discovered classes on each machine.  'Windows Server 2008 Full Computer' is not present on any of them.  Rather, Windows Server 2008 R2 Full Computer is present on all (except of course my server core installations, which are R2 Core yada yada).  So to me, it seems obvious the MP object discovery is not targeted correctly but fixing it is a bit of a pain.  Currently my WDS server role does not get discovered and I believe this is the root cause.
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 12:38 AM
  • You are using a few phrases that could mean a couple of things.

First, are you running server core alone?  Or a full version of server 2008 R2 - these are specific circumstances.

Second, if you read the guide you can see if the MP is supposed to work with server 2008 R2.

Any discovery targeting Windows.Server.2008.Full will not execute on a server 2008 R2 computer - this is by design and is not considered a flaw.

The WDS management pack in the System Center Catalog does not function with Server 2008 R2 and is noti intended to.

Microsoft Corporation
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 3:35 PM
  • We have instances of core in our environment, WDS is not running on core (obviously). I only stated that to show that I understand classes and that we have more than one in our environment. I read the guide as you suggested and that is my problem, it  says it is supposed to work with R2, but it is not because the discovery supplied in the MP is targeting the wrong class.  If it was supposed to work with R2 why would it not also target that class.

Your reply is contradictory and more confusing than my problem statement.  The management pack guide says it works with R2, but the management pack in the catalog is not intended to?  Does that make any sense to you?  I tried to word the problem as carefully as possible as I realize I am calling someone's baby ugly, but just rewrite the management pack discovery and republish it. I mean is it really feasible that someone is not using WDS on R2?  Is there an override I can write to make up for the MP authors lack of faith in the adoption of R2?

If it is not supposed to function with R2 then fine, don't update the MP, but at least republish the guide to match your assertion.

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 7:29 PM
  • Perhaps you can point me to where you got your WDS for Server 2008 R2.  The one in the marketplace and on the download center were published in 2008 - long before there was a Server 2008 R2.  I have checked the guide, and I have checked the MP, and can only conclude that you have a version of the WDS mp that I cannot find.

Microsoft Corporation
    • Proposed as answer by Nicholas Li Wednesday, August 10, 2011 8:17 AM
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 7:57 PM
  •  

May I know if you are using this Management Pack? I think it doesn’t support Windows Server 2008 Support R2.

Windows Deployment Services Management Pack for Operations Manager 2007

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&=tm&id=5348

Thanks.
    Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 8:17 AM
  • WIN.  I mean who wouldn't expect a management pack to support a release that's been out since 2009.  Silly me.  Now that we've identified my issue is misreading the support (which I already mentioned I knew) can someone let me know how I can fix this oversight?  An override doesn't appear like it will work.  Could I get an unsealed version, I could do the 10 minute legwork on the discovery rule, and hopefully it could make it out of QA in under 2 years.
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 8:10 PM
  • Thanks for confirming that you have misread the support statement in the pack.

Unfortunately, we don't have an MP on file for WDS for Server 2008 R2. I am starting a conversation at MSFT to learn what happened and to make sure the server role wasn't simply renamed.  Looking ahead at this point to Windows 8 packs - we want to make sure we aren't missing one.

Microsoft Corporation
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 9:02 PM