WSS (Sharepoint) 3.0 - new branch can only open documents as read only RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are fighting with a frustrating issue regarding opening documents in Sharepoint 3.0.  We opened a new branch (with a new subnet) and now, everyone at the new branch can only open documents on the sharepoint site as read only, despite the fact we select "Edit" when opening a doc.  The link is slower here at the remote branch and I'm wondering if this has anything to do with it.  I should also note that the sharepoint site is complete internal.  There is no external access.

Everyone at the new branch is using Office 2013 and Windows 7 Pro and primarily trying to open Excel docs.  Everyone at the main location (where the server is hosted) is also using Windows 7 Pro and Office 2013 but have no such issues.  

Sometimes (not always), we get an error that says: "Sorry, we can't open (sharepointURL and Doc location) because the server isn't responding."  If we click Try Again, it the excel doc will open but again, it says "read only" at the top and we can only save another version of it, not update it.

The process goes like this:
    • Open Sharepoint site
    • Click excel document to open it
    • Option to open as "Read Only" or "Edit" pops up.  We select "Edit"
    • Document looks like it begins to open.  Excel says it's contacting the sharepoint site
    • Error may pop up( as stated above) or document may open.  At the top, it says "Read Only"
    • If you try to modify and save the document, it says it can't save because it's "read only"

We are stumped with this one and would greatly appreciate some help.  Thank you in advance!

- Bill
    Wednesday, November 4, 2015 6:34 PM

All replies

• sounds like a name resolution / routing issue to me, but that's just a gut feeling.

Can the remote office ping all of the addresses that SharePoint is configured to use (in the AAMs)?

Scott Brickey
    MCTS, MCPD, MCITP
    www.sbrickey.com
    Strategic Data Systems - for all your SharePoint needs

Thursday, November 5, 2015 2:34 PM
  • Hi Scott,

Yes, I think you are on to something with regards to Name resolution and routing but I just can't lock it down yet. 

As for your question, I apologize for my ignorance but where can I find the addresses in the AAM's?  And what are AAM's? 

Thank you!

- Bill

Friday, November 6, 2015 4:36 PM
  • Alternate Access Mappings.

Central Admin -> App Management -> AAMs -> select webapp

Scott Brickey
    MCTS, MCPD, MCITP
    www.sbrickey.com
    Strategic Data Systems - for all your SharePoint needs

Friday, November 6, 2015 5:47 PM
  • Got it - yes, there are only two URL's there, the server name and the server name with the Central Admin Ports. Everyone at the new branch can ping those hosts.
    Friday, November 6, 2015 7:21 PM