Clone monitor in multiple monitor setup RRS feed

• Question

• Ok.. here is the issue that i am facing.  I have a computer with 5 monitors with windows 7 64bit pro.  works perfect.  Now i want to mirror one monitor to the other.  That seems to work fine.  However it will go and adjust the display configuration and move the monitors around so you have to go and adjust them in order so that you can move your mouse from one monitor to the next.

This all works fine ---- until --- you reboot.  Once rebooted it maintains the clone but switches the monitor positions around so scrolling from one monitor to the next will not work until you go into screen resolutions and setup the positions again.  This has been driving me crazy for months.  How can i have it remember the display profile so that I not need to keep adjusting the positons of the monitors on a reboot.

All screens are running the exact same resolution.  I have tried using the Nvidia Desktop Manger to no avail.  It will contiue to happen.  I have even tried UltraMon which does work but then you have to enable it each time you boot.  Defeats the purpose.  Any and all suggestions would be welcomed.

Thursday, August 26, 2010 2:27 PM

Answers

• After many attempts i finally got it working as it is needed.    The issue is that their were 5 monitors and i needed to clone/mirror the 4 and 5th monitor.

The fix was to set the far monitor on the left side as monitor 1.  Then go into sequential order to number 5 from left to right.  Once this was done.  Set monitor 1 as primary monitor.  Then clone monitor 4 and 5 and the configuration stuck even on reboot.  Simply moving monitors around would not work because i had to have the monitors on the right hand side clone.

Once i set the monitor to primary on the very left site.  I then just moved the task bar and icons over to the middle monitor.  It's not totally ideal but it works.

• Marked as answer by Keaian Monday, August 30, 2010 3:50 PM
    Monday, August 30, 2010 3:50 PM

All replies

•  I imagine that there is more of an elegant solution somewhere, but I
    usually switch the ports on the back of the machine until I get it to
    boot up with the "correct" monitor layout.

-- Mike Burr
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 3:03 PM
  • thanks mike.  I tried that earlier on.  Maybe i will just need to exercise a little more patience to get it to work.  It's just weird how it doesn't save the monitor layout on a reboot.
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 5:34 PM
  • Ok.. tried and tried with multiple configurations to no avail.  I can get 4 of the 5 monitors to work and save the monitor configuration upon reboot.  So let me see if i explained it correctly the first time around.

Windows 7 pro 64 bit with 2 video cards.  The primary video card is a nvida Quadro NVS 440.   The secondary video card is a NVIDIA GeForce GT220.  Not trying to do SLI or anything special. 

The NVS 400 supports 4 digital monitors and the GT220 supports 2 monitors (1digital , 1 analog). 

I have tried multiple configurations on plugging in the monitors however I found this at least allows me to get to 4 with the clone and save the configuration.

GT220 has two monitors on it.  These are the ones I am cloning / mirroring.

NVS440 has 2 monitors on it.  One is primary and the other extended desktop.    So in the screen resolution portion the monitor setup looks like this.

1 ----- 2 ------- 3/4

If i plug in the fifth monitor i can adjust it over by the first monitor so the mouse will move from screen to screen without issue.  On reboot it will automatically move the monitor configuration around on it's own.

It will look like this.

1 ----- 3/4 ---- 2  ------ 5

Any ideas on to why this is happening would be a great help.  Any ideas of a software solution to fix this issue would be helpful.  For some reason windows 7 does not want to  hold this configuration as windows xp did.

Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:55 PM
  • I wanna know what your doing with all these monitors :)

Have you made sure the drivers for these cards are up to date ?

www.mypchealth.co.uk
    Friday, August 27, 2010 8:46 AM
  • LOL Chunks.  these monitors are on the owners computer.  He likes to work on have these separate desktops and when he has someone in the office he can use the clone monitor to go over spreadsheets or whatever he needs for them to see.

The drivers are all up to date and even tried to use the nview desktop manager to no avail.  For some reason windows wants to configure the monitors how it wants them.  Even if i change the display order it will take it until reboot then reconfigure them.

I'm at a lose as to why it's doing this and not saving the config.

Monday, August 30, 2010 2:05 PM
  • After many attempts i finally got it working as it is needed.    The issue is that their were 5 monitors and i needed to clone/mirror the 4 and 5th monitor.

The fix was to set the far monitor on the left side as monitor 1.  Then go into sequential order to number 5 from left to right.  Once this was done.  Set monitor 1 as primary monitor.  Then clone monitor 4 and 5 and the configuration stuck even on reboot.  Simply moving monitors around would not work because i had to have the monitors on the right hand side clone.

Once i set the monitor to primary on the very left site.  I then just moved the task bar and icons over to the middle monitor.  It's not totally ideal but it works.

• Marked as answer by Keaian Monday, August 30, 2010 3:50 PM
    Monday, August 30, 2010 3:50 PM