Need to convert a fillable document from .docx to .doc and not lose formatting or protections RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

Need to create a fill-able document (offer letter template) to share with my team.  We do not want this document edited or altered other than in the fill-able fields.  I have used the developer tab and created the rich text fields for entering data and also was able to protect the document nicely.  However when I attempt to save as a .doc file the format is converted and the fill-able and protection features are lost.    I have also tried the template method but not successful in setting up.

How can I share this as a .doc file with my team they do not all have Windows7 or Word 2010, they have Windows XP professional and MS Word 2003?

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 7:40 PM

Answers

• Hi tbranch,

You cannot use content controls in documents that are saved in the Word 97-2003 doc) format. For compatability, you'd need to use the legacy formfields instead. Neither can Word 2003 or earlier access Content Controls in a docx file, even with the docx converter installed.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Edited by macropodMVP Wednesday, March 14, 2012 12:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by tbranchARS Wednesday, March 14, 2012 12:37 AM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 12:15 AM

All replies

• Hi tbranch,

You cannot use content controls in documents that are saved in the Word 97-2003 doc) format. For compatability, you'd need to use the legacy formfields instead. Neither can Word 2003 or earlier access Content Controls in a docx file, even with the docx converter installed.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Edited by macropodMVP Wednesday, March 14, 2012 12:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by tbranchARS Wednesday, March 14, 2012 12:37 AM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 12:15 AM
  •  Thank you for your speedy reply!  When I used the legacy feature the text box remained shaded in grey when the team used the fill-able boxes.  Is there a work around for this issue, we can't share offer letters that have grey text boxes...
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 12:35 AM
  • On the legacy tools toolbar is a button for toggling the formfield shading. In any event, the shading doesn't appear on printouts.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 12:41 AM