Adobe Acrobat Update Installation RRS feed

• Question

• Description:

Trying to deploy and update Adobe Acrobat Standard 8 (8.0.1 is original -> updates through 8.1.4) Installations. Adobe provides the updates for Acrobat as MSP files (i.e. AcrobatUpd814_all_incr.msp). I have tried creating and deploying a package both by chaining and by doing an admin install and packaging the resulting installer. I have also published it under 'Software' and 'Updates' with the same result.

AcroStan.mst is a generated transform from the Adobe Customization Wizard.

Chaining: (from setup.ini)

[Product]
    msi=AcroStan.msi
    CmdLine=TRANSFORMS="AcroStan.mst"
    PATCH=AcrobatUpd810_efgj_incr.msp;AcrobatUpd811_all_incr.msp;AcrobatUpd812_all_incr.msp;AcrobatUpd813_all_incr.msp;AcrobatUpd814_all_incr.msp

Admin:

TRANSFORMS="AcroStan.mst"

Problem:

Regardless if I attempt to deploy using the chaining method, or the admin install method, the clients that already have a version installed do not download and install the package . If I deploy the package to a machine without Acrobat installed it installs correctly . However, any machine with an earlier version of Acrobat 8 (i.e. 8.1.3) the packe comes back as not needed.

Questions:

How can I get SCE to recognize the Acrobat Standard 8.1.4 install as a needed update?
    Is there a better way to push out the Acrobat updates?
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 9:56 PM

Answers

• Hello,

For this problem, maybe you need to add appropriate parameter including MST file when running package create wizard. Did you install the update file locally? So we can find out the appropriate parameter.

Thanks,

Yog Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Friday, May 22, 2009 11:03 AM
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 10:44 AM

All replies

• Hello,

For this problem, maybe you need to add appropriate parameter including MST file when running package create wizard. Did you install the update file locally? So we can find out the appropriate parameter.

Thanks,

Yog Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Friday, May 22, 2009 11:03 AM
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 10:44 AM
  • Both versions of the patch install fine manually locally on the machine (and through SCE). The issue is that SCE is not recognizing WHICH computers need an update.

If a machine has Acrobat 8.1.3 installed, SCE is not seeing that 8.1.4 needs to be installed.
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 5:16 PM
  • Hello,

After a locally published update is approved for one or more Computer Groups, when a client in the approved groups contacts the Essentials server, it sees the application as an Update and downloads the application metadata and determines if it is applicable. If applicability rules are included in the update, the client evaluates them to determine if the update should be installed.

For MSI applications, the applicability evaluation is based on the MSI product code.

• If the application is already installed, then it is not downloaded and offered.
    • If the application is installed through WSUS, then uninstalled by a user, it will be re-downloaded and re-offered the next time the Windows Update client connects to the Essentials server.

From the previous descriotion, it is the Acrobat 8.1.4 installation file itself that determined not to install on the agents that have Acrobat 8.1.3 installed. To resolve this issue, maybe you need to add an appropriate parameter including the MST file. Pease contact the Adobe engineer for more information.

Thanks,

Yog Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 10:26 AM