Windows 7 deletes background and folders RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I recently purchased and installed windows 7 home premium on my macbook pro via bootcamp.  I had all of this done at a computer store (Brown computer, in brattleborrow VT) and picked it up and was told it was good to go.  I already checked and it IS activated. At first, i used an image from google images as my background, and that got erased, then i saved the image to the omputer and it still changed it back to the default wallpaper.  i didnt really cares becasue its not a big deal, but then, after hours of transfering files via a 1GB flash drive from my desktop to the laptop, i waited a while, until the screen went black, i signed in, and the folder i put everything into was gone.  i searched the comp for it and its just not there. PLEASE HELP, if i am ready to throw this laptop through my window after doing hours of tranfering for nothing. if it helps, the files i was transfering were, wav samples packs for muaic production, and some .dll files
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP Sunday, July 1, 2012 7:18 AM Moved to more appropriate forum (From:Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment)
    Saturday, June 30, 2012 12:18 AM

Answers

• Dear cmcguirk,

Possible causes for your problem

v  Corrupted TranscodedWallpaper.jpg

v  There are third-party applications like Display Manager from Samsung. (Resolution, uninstall)

v  The Remove background images option is incorrectly checked

v  Domain policy disables the background changing

Sometimes you cannot change your desktop wallpaper in Windows 7. For example, you see a black background even though you change your background picture. Another instance is, when you try to right-click a picture and then select ‘Set as desktop background’, you will get an error message “This image can't be set as wallpaper. An internal error occurred”, etc.

• Start à Run à type %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\windows\themes ->enter.

• Delete the file TranscodedWallpaper.jpg.
    • try to apply new background image and check.
    • Hope this will help to solve your issue.

Regards Jinish.K.G|HCL Infosystems LTD

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Sunday, July 8, 2012 9:39 AM
    Wednesday, July 4, 2012 6:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

First of all, you should make sure you enter into Windows 7 with administrator right. Then for you first error, I would like to suggest you can do as below method:

Open the following window/folder:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\

Then delete the file TranscodedWallpaper.jpg, or replace it with a background image of your choice with the same name, and try changing the wallpaper/slideshow/theme again.

If this didn't work, you might have to delete the (hidden) file slideshow.ini as well, though then you'll have to restart your PC to try.

For the second issues, you should post several information at here to trouble shooting this problem.

Did you get some specific errors when this issues happen?

Do this issues happen again when you transfer files in other computer?

Do you disable hide folder option? The below link would guide you how to do:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/394-hidden-files-folders-show-hide.html

Hopse above can help you.

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 9:28 AM
  • Dear cmcguirk,

Possible causes for your problem

v  Corrupted TranscodedWallpaper.jpg

v  There are third-party applications like Display Manager from Samsung. (Resolution, uninstall)

v  The Remove background images option is incorrectly checked

v  Domain policy disables the background changing

Sometimes you cannot change your desktop wallpaper in Windows 7. For example, you see a black background even though you change your background picture. Another instance is, when you try to right-click a picture and then select ‘Set as desktop background’, you will get an error message “This image can't be set as wallpaper. An internal error occurred”, etc.

• Start à Run à type %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\windows\themes ->enter.

• Delete the file TranscodedWallpaper.jpg.
    • try to apply new background image and check.
    • Hope this will help to solve your issue.

Regards Jinish.K.G|HCL Infosystems LTD

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Sunday, July 8, 2012 9:39 AM
    Wednesday, July 4, 2012 6:08 AM