"Problem" accessing C:\Documents and Settings\... from Windows Explorer tree or folder select UI RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Norton 360 for online backups on Windows 7 SP1, and the program is flagging an error trying to backup open files. In attempting to use the application provided Exclude Folder application interface, I encountered the following problem: the Windows Folder Select User Interface used by the application does not allow for selection of folders in the C:\Documents and Settings\... path.

Further examination revealed that Windows Explorer does not display this path in the left-side file tree either.

I suspect this is a usability problem, with a workaround I am not aware of.

Thanks in advance for your time and help with this matter.

Sunday, October 15, 2017 6:45 PM

All replies

• Found clarification here:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/e5329f16-16d1-4505-acbc-b7259506a673/accessing-documents-and-settings?forum=w7itprogeneral

In fact, my use of the Norton Backup application was directing Norton to C:\Documents and Settings\.... I removed the reference, relied on C:\Users\..., and worked around the "problem" that seemingly I was causing myself, leftover from my XP experience.

Sunday, October 15, 2017 6:58 PM
  • Seems you get the answer your self. 

Please mark your post as answer so that other communities encounter the similar issue can find the solution more efficiently. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 16, 2017 9:13 AM