return to factory settings RRS feed

• Question

• can anyone tell me how to take my computer back to factory settings please
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 6:10 PM

Answers

• If the computer manufacturer did not include Vista disk/s, there should be a Recovery Partition on your Hard drive.

At the bottom of the splash Screen at startup/power on, you may press F10 or F11 to hit to start Recovery Process, and take it back to factory standards.

It depends on how did your manufacturer do it. You may go to the Manufacturer's website, email or phone them for info on how to do a Recovery. Each manufacturer has their own way of doing a Recovery to factory standards.

Please back up all your Data before you do it, it will wipe everything from your Hard Drive.

If you would like to back up files onto the local hard disk, we have a workaround: Windows Vista has a built in backup tool.

For more information about the Windows Vista Backup tool, please refer to this page:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/search.aspx?=&qu=backup

Sabrina

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Tuesday, January 3, 2012 9:25 AM
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 7:14 AM
  • When your computer first starts up with the black screen you press either F10 or F11 (depending on your computer model). As a hint, if you look at the bottom, it will sometimes tell you what button to press. I have a laptop and I take care of the computers at the office I work at. The desktop I had to reset to factory settings is a Dell and I had to press F10 to go to the main computer set up (this is where you can change parts of the make-up on your computer, it isn't like the settings under the Control Panel). From there I could reset it to factory default.

But on my laptop, I had to press F11 and my laptop automatically started the factory reset.

So when you start your computer, try watching the bottom screen but you have to push the button quickly otherwise your computer will start like normal and you'll have to restart it again.

Hope this helps!

Friday, December 30, 2011 2:59 PM

All replies

• What is the make and model number of your PC?
    Carey Frisch
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 8:01 PM
  • If the computer manufacturer did not include Vista disk/s, there should be a Recovery Partition on your Hard drive.

At the bottom of the splash Screen at startup/power on, you may press F10 or F11 to hit to start Recovery Process, and take it back to factory standards.

It depends on how did your manufacturer do it. You may go to the Manufacturer's website, email or phone them for info on how to do a Recovery. Each manufacturer has their own way of doing a Recovery to factory standards.

Please back up all your Data before you do it, it will wipe everything from your Hard Drive.

If you would like to back up files onto the local hard disk, we have a workaround: Windows Vista has a built in backup tool.

For more information about the Windows Vista Backup tool, please refer to this page:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/search.aspx?=&qu=backup

Sabrina

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 29, 2011 7:14 AM
  • When your computer first starts up with the black screen you press either F10 or F11 (depending on your computer model). As a hint, if you look at the bottom, it will sometimes tell you what button to press. I have a laptop and I take care of the computers at the office I work at. The desktop I had to reset to factory settings is a Dell and I had to press F10 to go to the main computer set up (this is where you can change parts of the make-up on your computer, it isn't like the settings under the Control Panel). From there I could reset it to factory default.

But on my laptop, I had to press F11 and my laptop automatically started the factory reset.

So when you start your computer, try watching the bottom screen but you have to push the button quickly otherwise your computer will start like normal and you'll have to restart it again.

Hope this helps!

Friday, December 30, 2011 2:59 PM
  • I simply want to reset my computer to factory settings ???????????
    Tuesday, February 13, 2018 9:26 PM