none
"Error 0x80040154: Class not registered" - when trying to edit mp3 metadata? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I get this error when trying to edit mp3 metadata under the Windows "Details" option.

"An unexpected error is keeping you from applying properties to the file. If you continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem.

Error 0x80040154: Class not registered"

This error does not occur when trying to edit any other audio files metadata.

It seems to be associated with using the program dBpoweramp.

The metadata appears under the dBpoweramp option and is editable there but the metadata has stopped appearing under Windows "Details" option and cannot be edited under "Details".

What might the problem be here and how would I fix this? Thanks.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious", Albert Einstein.

Thursday, July 23, 2015 3:03 AM

Answers

• Hi,

What's default .MP3 file associated program with? If it's not WMP, please try to set WMP as default program, then try to edit its metadata for test.

On the other hand, How about make a copy with this file and move it to other folder or drive for test? This problem can be caused by permission.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 27, 2015 9:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What's default .MP3 file associated program with? If it's not WMP, please try to set WMP as default program, then try to edit its metadata for test.

On the other hand, How about make a copy with this file and move it to other folder or drive for test? This problem can be caused by permission.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 27, 2015 9:42 AM
  • I am also having problems with this Error.  I am editing an Excel file properties through the explorer window and when i select save, i get the Error 0x80040154: Class not registered.  If this is possible related, i also saved the properties within the file itself, and these properties do not appear in the explorer window.
    Friday, July 21, 2017 1:46 PM