Windows explorer displaying in weird fonts making folders unusable RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to Vista and recently moved my exteral USB drive from an XP laptop to my new Vista desktop.  Now, about half of the folders on the drive are in some kind of symbol based font instead of plain english and are no longer accessible.  I ran a McAffee virus scan and the drive came up clean.  During the scan, McAffee reads the folder and file names correctly and it can scan the folders.  However, windows explorer cannot read them anymore.  I also tried 3rd party file management software and it can't read them either.  I was wondering if anyone has experienced this issue with Vista.   The error message I receive is "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."  I googled this error and found many references but none were for this problem in windows explorer.  I tried renaming the files (with no luck) and copying and moving them to another drive in hopes of creating a new working version but it won't do anything (doesn't even try to move or copy them).
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 3:38 AM

Answers

• Hi WoadWarrior, thanks for the post. I suggest you first check if the external USB drive can still work on another computer. Please also let me know the extension of those files on the drive.

I also suggest you try a free online virus scan on the following site because the error message can be caused by virus or malware:

http://safety.live.com

Meanwhile, if you need more help with virus-related issues, visit the Microsoft Virus Solution and Security Center for resources and tools to keep your PC safe and healthy.

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT

Monday, June 15, 2009 7:12 AM

All replies

• Hi WoadWarrior, thanks for the post. I suggest you first check if the external USB drive can still work on another computer. Please also let me know the extension of those files on the drive.

I also suggest you try a free online virus scan on the following site because the error message can be caused by virus or malware:

http://safety.live.com

Meanwhile, if you need more help with virus-related issues, visit the Microsoft Virus Solution and Security Center for resources and tools to keep your PC safe and healthy.

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT

Monday, June 15, 2009 7:12 AM
  • I have this problem. Is this solved? Please tell how. I need my files. Why is this happening???????????
    Monday, August 17, 2009 2:55 PM