What happened to my font? RRS feed

• Question

• I use Terminal/regular/9 in a few apps.  At startup, I get the font pictured in the first image below.  After a few days or weeks of uptime, that changes to the font pictured in the second image below.  A restart sets it straight again.  This has happened several times over the course of many months.  I have no idea why this happens.  I'd like to avoid it ... or fix it without a restart.  ... any ideas? ... Thanks! ... Vince

Sunday, May 11, 2014 5:27 PM

Answers

• Hi Vincent,

We tested this issue and have the same result as yours, if we create a notepad or wordpad with this font, after logoff, then login again, the font turns to be "thinner", only a restart can bring it back to normal

\after logoff and login again

Here is a workaround which can solve this issue, please open registry editor, then locate to entry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Console\RasterFonts 

In the right pane, Change REG_SZ woafont value from dosapp.fon to vgaoem.fon, restart PC, problem solved. 

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Roger Lu Tuesday, May 27, 2014 7:18 AM
    Friday, May 16, 2014 2:42 AM

All replies

• Is this a problem with a specific font or all of them ?

Check this URL ; http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314960/en-gb

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, May 12, 2014 5:54 AM
  • Is this a problem with a specific font or all of them

As far as I know it is only this font.  Apps that use other fonts are OK.  And apps in which I normally use that font are OK with other fonts.  The system's idea of what Terminal-Regular-9 is seems to change (through no act of mine) and a restart sets it straight again.

When working correctly, Terminal-Regular-9 appears identical to the console's 8x12 font (that's why I use it in a few GUI apps).  When the GUI apps show a changed Terminal-Regular-9, consoles still show the expected 8x12 font.

Monday, May 12, 2014 3:26 PM
  • Can you import the same from a different system and get the same installed on your OS?

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 3:28 AM
  • Can you import the same from a different system and get the same installed on your OS?
    I don't understand ... import what?  "Terminal" is a system font (isn't it?).  I have the same problem on another Win7/SP1/32 computer.  And as I said before, it works correctly for days or weeks after a restart.
    Tuesday, May 13, 2014 4:00 AM
  • On a computer where font is working browse to %windir%\fonts

Copy the font "Terminal" on external disk or shared driver.

Delete terminal font from the non working computer.

Copy the same to the computer having issues with "Terminal font" to this directory %windir%\fonts

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 5:07 AM
  • On a computer where font is working browse to %windir%\fonts

Copy the font "Terminal" on external disk or shared driver.

Delete terminal font from the non working computer.

Copy the same to the computer having issues with "Terminal font" to this directory %windir%\fonts

I do not have a computer without the problem.  There are no files in %windir\fonts named terminal*.  We have gone astray here.  How can it happen that days/weeks after a restart, the system's notion of what Terminal/Regular/9 looks like can change?
    Tuesday, May 13, 2014 7:04 AM
  • Arnav, you have missed the point of my question.  Look at the images in my first post.  How can the system's idea of what Terminal/Regular/9 looks like change, and be fixed by a restart?
    Tuesday, May 13, 2014 7:12 AM
  • C:\windows\fonts gives all the fonts installed on the system. Not sure if Terminal font got corrupted. Also, system might have updated its settings after a reboot that's why got corrupted/missing. You can google for terminal font, download and install it. 

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 7:38 AM
  • I have/want **no** third-party fonts.  The font is a Windows font (see below).  The relevant files are DOSAPP.FON, DOS737.FON, and DOS869.FON.  The files are not corrupt.  Please read my first post again.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 4:01 PM
  • Hi Vincent,

We tested this issue and have the same result as yours, if we create a notepad or wordpad with this font, after logoff, then login again, the font turns to be "thinner", only a restart can bring it back to normal

\after logoff and login again

Here is a workaround which can solve this issue, please open registry editor, then locate to entry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Console\RasterFonts 

In the right pane, Change REG_SZ woafont value from dosapp.fon to vgaoem.fon, restart PC, problem solved. 

Yolanda Zhu

• Marked as answer by Roger Lu Tuesday, May 27, 2014 7:18 AM
    Friday, May 16, 2014 2:42 AM
  • Thanks.  I'll try it and report tomorrow if all looks OK.  But I may have to wait days/weeks/months to see if the problem re-occurs.

Can you explain what's happening in a little more detail?  I rarely use notepad.  Would the same happen with some other subsystem GUI app that used that font?

Friday, May 16, 2014 5:13 AM
  • I made the change and restarted.  All looks well.  It may be a while (hopefully forever) before the corruption re-appears.  The change reduced my number of raster font sizes to 4.  But I still have my favorite 8x12.  I've been looking at it since the days of MSDOS and that's not about to change.

I'd still like more detail on the problem.

- Vince

Friday, May 16, 2014 5:36 AM
  • Hi,

This issue could happen when you create a txt file with that font, then logoff, then logon in again (we can avoid it by manually makng changes as mentioned in previous reply with registry), actually, I'm not sure about the exact reason of this issue, this seems a "defective" in Windows, this issue also happens in wordpad.

Yolanda Zhu

Monday, May 19, 2014 1:35 AM