none
Unable to Validate a Cluster Configuration. The operation has failed. The action validate a configuration did not complete . RRS feed

• Question

• There is an error in XML document (5, 73).  

Attempt by method

Microsoft.Xml.Serialzation.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerialzationReaderClusterPrep.Config.Read4_As...Bolean) to access method

MS.Internal.ServerClusters.Validation.TestAssemblyCollection.Add(MS.Internal.ServerClusters.V....Failed

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 8:03 PM

Answers

• Well, we are getting the information a little bit at a time.  I had to go look up the QNAP to see what it offered.  You don't mention model or capabilities, so I will assume that you have one that has iSCSI capabilities.  NAS alone is not supported.  I didn't find anything on the QNAP web site to say they support SMB 3.0, so you won't be able to cluster to a file share for shared storage, though you should be able to create a file share witness for quorum.

So, assuming you have an iSCSI shared storage system, how do you have iSCSI configured on your hosts?  Did you create a shared LUN and have configured the hosts to have access to that shared LUN?  Did you configure one or two networks for iSCSI access?  If two, are they on two separate IP subnets?

Since you indicate the servers are members of a domain, I assume you have at least one NIC configured on these servers.  Any other NICs?  In different subnets?

.:|:.:|:. tim

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 9:23 PM

All replies

• Posting errors with no configuration information or steps performed do not offer us much to go on. Please provide something besides an error message.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 11:12 PM
  • I have to identical HP servers and I have installed the Failover Cluster feature.   When I go to initialize if I have a valid configuration I get this error.  

I was under the impression that you could try and validate the config with parameters before you actually build the cluster.  Essentially perform per-requiste tests.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 1:54 PM
  • Yes, the validation wizard will tell you what is wrong with your configuration. It generally assumes that you have done the basic work of setting up a cluster before you run the wizard.  Did you follow any guidance (well documented in TechNet) on setting up a basic cluster?

You haven't told us what version you are trying.  You haven't told us whether or not the machines are in a domain.  You haven't told us what sort of storage you have.  Just the wizard expects some basic information, so do responders in a forum.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 2:59 PM
  • Did you follow any guidance (well documented in TechNet) on setting up a basic cluster?YES

I have a lab set up with the following.

One Domain controller- 2008 R2 SP1

2 Member Servers - 2008 R2 SP1

Storage- I have a QNAP NAS that I was going to set up a Share on.   Please let me know if I have provided enough info here

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 3:17 PM
  • Well, we are getting the information a little bit at a time.  I had to go look up the QNAP to see what it offered.  You don't mention model or capabilities, so I will assume that you have one that has iSCSI capabilities.  NAS alone is not supported.  I didn't find anything on the QNAP web site to say they support SMB 3.0, so you won't be able to cluster to a file share for shared storage, though you should be able to create a file share witness for quorum.

So, assuming you have an iSCSI shared storage system, how do you have iSCSI configured on your hosts?  Did you create a shared LUN and have configured the hosts to have access to that shared LUN?  Did you configure one or two networks for iSCSI access?  If two, are they on two separate IP subnets?

Since you indicate the servers are members of a domain, I assume you have at least one NIC configured on these servers.  Any other NICs?  In different subnets?

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 9:23 PM
  • Any further updates on this? I just had this exact same error on a cluster that had been working until recently.

We have been investigating this server as it now fails to backup and we have found twice now that the quorum has gone offline for no reason especially considering it can be brought back online manually.

I have pasted the event log below. This error appears when we try and run the cluster validation tool. If I knew which xml file it was talking about I might be able to do something. We have three nics on each server. One for management, one for storage and one for client connectivity.

Everything can ping and on one side of the cluster the machines will work. Failing machines over or live migrating will not work yet we get this same error on both clusters when I try to run the validation tool.

Failover Manager diagnostic channel is useless as it gives exactly the same error detail. I had to take out the h in http below because it would not let me submit the reply otherwise.

Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-FailoverClustering-Manager/Admin
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-FailoverClustering-Manager
    Date:          4/02/2014 8:35:54 PM
    Event ID:      4683
    Task Category: Failover Clusters Manager MMC Snapin
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:     

Description:
    Failover Cluster Manager failed while managing one or more cluster. The error was 'There is an error in XML document (5, 73).'. For more information see the Failover Cluster Manager Diagnostic channel.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns=">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-FailoverClustering-Manager" Guid="{11B3C6B7-E06F-4191-BBB9-7099FFF55614}" />
        <EventID>4683 ttp://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>1</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-02-04T09:35:54.688313100Z" />
        <EventRecordID>300</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="4228" ThreadID="5548" />
        <Channel>Microsoft-Windows-FailoverClustering-Manager/Admin</Channel>
        <Computer>server.domain</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-767804099-3628727911-1849288056-500" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="Parameter1">There is an error in XML document (5, 73).</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 10:41 PM
  • Any further updates on this? I just had this exact same error on a cluster that had been working until recently.

We have been investigating this server as it now fails to backup and we have found twice now that the quorum has gone offline for no reason especially considering it can be brought back online manually.

I have pasted the event log below. This error appears when we try and run the cluster validation tool. If I knew which xml file it was talking about I might be able to do something. We have three nics on each server. One for management, one for storage and one for client connectivity.

Everything can ping and on one side of the cluster the machines will work. Failing machines over or live migrating will not work yet we get this same error on both clusters when I try to run the validation tool.

Failover Manager diagnostic channel is useless as it gives exactly the same error detail. I had to take out the h in http below because it would not let me submit the reply otherwise.

Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-FailoverClustering-Manager/Admin
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-FailoverClustering-Manager
    Date:          4/02/2014 8:35:54 PM
    Event ID:      4683
    Task Category: Failover Clusters Manager MMC Snapin
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:     

Description:
    Failover Cluster Manager failed while managing one or more cluster. The error was 'There is an error in XML document (5, 73).'. For more information see the Failover Cluster Manager Diagnostic channel.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns=">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-FailoverClustering-Manager" Guid="{11B3C6B7-E06F-4191-BBB9-7099FFF55614}" />
        <EventID>4683 ttp://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>1</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-02-04T09:35:54.688313100Z" />
        <EventRecordID>300</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="4228" ThreadID="5548" />
        <Channel>Microsoft-Windows-FailoverClustering-Manager/Admin</Channel>
        <Computer>server.domain</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-767804099-3628727911-1849288056-500" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="Parameter1">There is an error in XML document (5, 73).</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Hi,

When I run test-cluster cmdlet on windows 2008 R2 machine which is in domain,

It was thrown below error.

Test-Cluster : There is an error in XML document (5, 73).
        Attempt by method
    'Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderClusPrepConfig.Read4_Assemblies(Boolean,
    Boolean)' to access method
    'MS.Internal.ServerClusters.Validation.TestAssemblyCollection.Add(MS.Internal.ServerClusters.Validation.TestAssembly)'
    failed.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Test-Cluster -Node tk5statvm06
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Test-Cluster], ClusterCmdletException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Test-Cluster,Microsoft.FailoverClusters.PowerShell.TestClusterCommand

Please give me the solution for this.

Regards,

Karunakar G.

Friday, September 26, 2014 5:36 AM
  • Hi,

When I run test-cluster cmdlet on windows 2008 R2 machine which is in domain,

It was thrown below error.

Test-Cluster : There is an error in XML document (5, 73).
        Attempt by method
    'Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderClusPrepConfig.Read4_Assemblies(Boolean,
    Boolean)' to access method
    'MS.Internal.ServerClusters.Validation.TestAssemblyCollection.Add(MS.Internal.ServerClusters.Validation.TestAssembly)'
    failed.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Test-Cluster -Node tk5statvm06
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Test-Cluster], ClusterCmdletException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Test-Cluster,Microsoft.FailoverClusters.PowerShell.TestClusterCommand

Please give me the solution for this.

Regards,

Karunakar G.

• Proposed as answer by Pardha Sai Friday, September 26, 2014 10:47 AM
    Friday, September 26, 2014 5:37 AM
  • possible problem in PS4.0 ?
    Thursday, October 9, 2014 1:23 PM
  • Add a powershell.exe.config (if one doesn't exist) with the following content, after that the failing cmd-let should run successfully. Be noted that you'll need to start a new PowerShell instance for the config file to take effect.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    <configuration>
      <system.xml.serialization>
        <xmlSerializer useLegacySerializerGeneration="true"/>
      </system.xml.serialization>
    </configuration>

• Proposed as answer by HartmannA Thursday, April 2, 2015 9:25 PM
    Wednesday, January 28, 2015 11:48 PM
  • Resolution:
    1.) Copy the 2 Config Files attached to $PSHome (typically C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0) – Done !

2.) Copy powershell.exe to PS.exe and create a config file
    - cd $PSHome (which is the path where the powershell binaries live)
    - copy powershell.exe PS.exe
    - create a config file PS.exe.config with the content below

Now you have the possibility to open a “normal” PS 4.0 Window and run the following command:  ps.exe –command “Test-Cluster –li”
    You can run this command from a powershell script as well.
    This way you don´t touch your existing PS4.0 environment and don´t need to do extra testing of all scripts, but can run the Test-Cluster cmd-let on the clusters as expected.

More information:
    Powershell.exe.config will be read, if a Powershell Window is opened.
    Powershell_ise.exe.config will be read if the „Integrated Scripting Environment“ Powershell_ise.exe is opened.

The Content of the Config Files is as follows and can be edited with notepad
    <
    configuration>
     <
    system.xml.serialization>
       <
    xmlSerializer useLegacySerializerGeneration="true"/>
     </
    system.xml.serialization>
    </
    configuration>

In the config file powershell is advised to execute the legacy serialization code as it has been done in Powershell 2.0.
    If you set the value of the variable
    <xmlSerializer useLegacySerializerGeneration="false"/> to false,
    powershell 4.0 would behave as if you would not have created a config file.
    Monday, February 23, 2015 4:00 PM
  • Please could you solve? I have the same problem.
    Regards

Marcelo

Thursday, February 26, 2015 1:44 PM
  • Were you ever able to get this resolved?  If so what was the solution?
    Thursday, May 14, 2015 8:11 PM
  • Little late, but offering for posterity, an alternative is to:

1. Open command prompt as administrator.
    2. Type "powershell -version 2.0"
    3. execute your Test-Cluster command.

worked for me.
    Wednesday, June 3, 2015 3:53 PM
  • Has this been resolved? I have tried all the suggestions below to no avail.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2016 5:14 PM
  • Solution that worked for me:

Inside C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0

- make a copy of powershell_ise.exe config file (make a copy inside C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0)
    - rename it to powershell.exe 
    - open it with notepad
    - delete curent config line and paste:
    <configuration> 
      <system.xml.serialization> 
        <xmlSerializer useLegacySerializerGeneration="true"/> 
      </system.xml.serialization> 
    </configuration>

- save and run test-cluster.
    Sunday, February 21, 2016 9:20 AM
  • Please try this and let me know

https://partnersupport.microsoft.com/en-us/par_servplat/forum/par_winserv/error-running-cluster-validation-test-windows/023c90f6-3842-4b68-9c08-fa4ba2a91d10

Friday, April 20, 2018 2:07 PM
  • This did the trick for me as well. Thanks!

David A. Bermingham, MVP, Senior Technical Evangelist, SIOS Technology Corp

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 4:00 PM