How to configure S/MIME in Exchange Server 2016? RRS feed

• Question

• Any one can help me by giving the steps to enable/configure S/MIME in Exchange Server 2016?

Santhosh Sivaraman MCITP: Microsoft Exchange Server 2007/2010 | MCSE/MCSA

Monday, November 20, 2017 5:01 PM

Answers

• Hi Santosh

I found an article explains How to Configure S/MIME in Office 365  . You can get help from the article.

Regards,
    Raj

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 7:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I didn't find an official article with detailed step-by-step instructions for Exchange 2016. But you can find the general steps covered in: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn626158(v=exchg.150).aspx.

1.As per my expericen, to configure S/MIME on Exchange on-premises, the following steps should be taken:

2.Install and configure a Windows Enterprise CA for use.

3.Export the trusted root CA certificate to a SST file

4.Set up virtual certificate collection to validate S/MIME with this SST file https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn626155(v=exchg.150).aspx

5.Create a certificate templet for S/MIME

6.Users request the certificates from CA and install certificate on their clients.

7.Sign in Outlook Web App and Outlook to test S/MIME

Here is an official blog about how to configure S/MIME for Exchange Online: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2014/12/15/how-to-configure-smime-in-office-365/. The steps are slightly different. You can refer to it still for on-premises Exchange. If you have any update, please let us know.

Regards,

Alex

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Alex Sun MS Thursday, November 23, 2017 1:59 AM
    Tuesday, November 21, 2017 5:33 AM
  • Hi Santosh

I found an article explains How to Configure S/MIME in Office 365  . You can get help from the article.

Regards,
    Raj

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 7:19 AM
  • Hi,

Have you followed the information above? Please let us know if you have any update.

Regards,

Alex

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 24, 2017 8:26 AM
  • Hi Santosh

Regards,
    Raj

Some of the steps are not applicable for on premises Exchange Server.

Santhosh Sivaraman MCITP: Microsoft Exchange Server 2007/2010 | MCSE/MCSA

Wednesday, April 18, 2018 3:04 PM