Windows Server 2016: WSUS console crashes when selecting All Updates RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

We’ve a domain member server running Windows Server 2016 Datacenter. The WSUS role is installed on it and configured to use SSL.

Server configurations:

Vitual machine running with 6GB RAM & 4 processors

Problem:

WSUS seems to be working as clients receive the updates. But when I try to list “All updates” for approval, the console crashes with the following message:

The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server via the remote API.  Verify that the Update Services service, IIS and SQL are running on the server. If the problem persists, try restarting IIS, SQL, and the Update Services Service. System.Net.WebException -- The operation has timed out Source System.Web.Services Stack Trace:    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request)    at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.ApiRemotingCompressionProxy.GetWebResponse(WebRequest webRequest)    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)    at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ApiRemoting.ExecuteSPSearchUpdates(String updateScopeXml, String preferredCulture, Int32 publicationState)    at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.AdminDataAccessProxy.ExecuteSPSearchUpdates(String updateScopeXml, String preferredCulture, ExtendedPublicationState publicationState)    at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.Update.SearchUpdates(UpdateScope searchScope, ExtendedPublicationState publicationState, UpdateServer updateServer)    at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.UpdateManager.GetUpdates(ExtendedUpdateScope filter)    at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.WsusSynchronizationInfo.InitializeDerivedProperties()    at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Pages.SyncResultsListPage.GetSyncInfoRow(WsusSynchronizationInfo syncInfo)    at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Pages.SyncResultsListPage.GetListRows()

I tried to restart the services & the server even reinstalled the server from scratch no luck.

Help please!

AB

Friday, December 30, 2016 10:47 AM

Answers

• Hi BAHADURI,

>But when I try to list “All updates” for approval, the console crashes with the following message:

1. Please check if you checked "Drivers" in "Products and Classifications", it's not recommended to check it, since there are a lot of drivers updates and we usually need a few of them, they can occupy a lot of disk space;

2. When the console is crash, please check the disk that store the WSUS content folder and check task manager, check if they are full;

So, you may reinstall the WSUS server from scratch, when you check "Products and Classifications", select few of them or expand the machine's memory.

If it still not work, please run Server Cleanup Wizard.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 3:05 AM

All replies

• Hi BAHADURI,

>But when I try to list “All updates” for approval, the console crashes with the following message:

1. Please check if you checked "Drivers" in "Products and Classifications", it's not recommended to check it, since there are a lot of drivers updates and we usually need a few of them, they can occupy a lot of disk space;

2. When the console is crash, please check the disk that store the WSUS content folder and check task manager, check if they are full;

So, you may reinstall the WSUS server from scratch, when you check "Products and Classifications", select few of them or expand the machine's memory.

If it still not work, please run Server Cleanup Wizard.

Best Regards,

Anne

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 3:05 AM
  • Hi Anne,

Your solution to uncheck the “Drivers” resolved my issue.

Following your recommendations, I unchecked the "Drivers" in "Products and Classifications" in the WSUS console and then I launched a Server Cleanup Wizard. The Cleanup has deleted almost more than 1000 updates… Since then the WSUS console no longer crashes.

Thank so much for your response.

AB

• Edited by BAHADURI Thursday, January 5, 2017 9:10 AM
    Thursday, January 5, 2017 9:09 AM
  • Hi BAHADURI,

Glad to hear it, you are welcome. Then, you may mark useful reply as answer, so that this case can be closed.

Best Regards,

Anne

Thursday, January 5, 2017 9:12 AM
  • Done. Thank you very much Anne. You saved my time.

AB

Thursday, January 5, 2017 9:57 AM