vista sidebar vs 7 sidebar RRS feed

• General discussion

• the sidebar in Windows Vista is better than 7 as gadget management is difficult in 7....they r lying all around on the desktop....in vista you could keep them free on the desktop or docked  in the sidebar....
    Friday, July 24, 2009 9:23 PM

All replies

• this is anoying feature of Windows 7. i liked the vista sidebar much better. the only (legal) way to currently get the vista sidebar back would be to use a third party app but im not sure of any programs that do this off the top of my head. 

google it and see if you can find some potential apps to do this. this a well adressed problem so i cant imagine there isnt something floating around out there =)

hope this helps, nitrous_74
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 1:47 AM
  • alternatively, drag the gadget to the side of your screen.
    Monday, July 27, 2009 3:01 PM
  • I am not familiar with any 3rd party apps that can bring back the Windows sidebar in its default form.  However, there are apps that can have sidebar functionality, but will typically require their own widgets.  One example would be the Google sidebar, but there are several others out there.

Monday, July 27, 2009 6:21 PM
  • But, I think that Windows 7 sidebar is much better than Vista's one.
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 2:31 AM
  • Windows Vista was an actual slow to launch sidebar I think.  Windows 7 sidebar the gadgets just open up.  Seem Vista sidebar was an actual program different than the way Windows 7 opens up it's gadgets.  I vote Windows 7 on this one.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 1:52 AM
  • It does matter.  Just not to you.
    I have to agree.  With the Vista sidebar you could have it "always on top" so even when you maximize other windows, the sidebar is always visible. When they float on the desktop aren't they almost always covered?  If I can't see my gadgets all the time, I might as well turn them off and run a program or go to a web site when I want information.  Oh, well.  Progress, right?  No doubt someone will come up with a sidebar for 7.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 3:09 AM
  • As far as "Always on top" & seeing the Gadgets.  If they are aligned vertically to one side & the windows are made big enough to abut the gadgets there is no visible conflict & the gadgets can be seen all the time.

Drew MS Partner Pres. Computer Issues
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 3:48 AM
  • Seems you didn't see this "As far as "Always on top" & seeing the Gadgets.  If they are aligned vertically to one side & the windows are made big enough to abut the gadgets there is no visible conflict & the gadgets can be seen all the time."

And w/ all the people complaining about your demeanour & behavior... the only 1 who shows themselves as "rude" (to many people) is you.

Your offensive words & attitude do not belong here but, you have likely heard that most of your life.

Drew MS Partner Pres. Computer Issues
    Friday, July 31, 2009 7:52 PM

• Vista SideBar is a very excellent thing for Wide-Screen monitors.  It can optionally be set to always occupy the right side of the screen.  Then, gadgets are always visible there, no matter what.  You can even "page" it if you have many gadgets.  When Vista SideBar is set always-on-top, only the remainder of the screen is available to the Windows Desktop.  That means if you maximize an app window, it will never obstruct the Vista SideBar.  Never obstruct it.  Yet you can also place gadgets onto the Vista Desktop if you want.  In that sense, Vista provides the same capability as Win7.  Said the other way, Win7 only provides a reduced gadget capability that is not nearly as versatile as Vista.

Here's the link that I believe describes a very simple Registry Hack to enable the Vista SideBar functionality in Windows7.  I hope it makes some people happy.  I haven't personally tried it because I'm sticking with Vista for now.

See  Zeus' Vista SideBar Registry Hack

Regarding Quick Launch (which I also like), here's Ronnie's method to re-enable it.  I believe it is derived from The Bumper List of Windows 7 Secrets (#13), but explained and illustrated very nicely.

Friday, July 31, 2009 10:11 PM
  • Thursday, April 29, 2010 7:16 AM