none
Which Server Software is best for our business? RRS feed

• Question

• Our small business currently has 10 desktops and one server.  We are currently running SBS 2008 on an older Dell server.

Our business uses a MS Access Database with the data stored on the server and shared with all the workstations.  We may be moving to either a MySQL or Maria database in the near future.  We also have 6 printers throughout the office.  We have several shared folders for document sharing.  All our email and website is hosted outside the office.

We are also in the process of upgrading all our desktops to Windows 10.

My question is; Which server software would be the best option for our small business?  Or, with this setup, do we even need a server?  Would another Windows 10 machine acting as a server be sufficient? 

Thanks for any insight!

Rick

Wednesday, March 13, 2019 4:38 PM

All replies

• hi,
    "We are currently running SBS 2008 on an older Dell server."

1 what's the Server model of your older dell server ?
      what's your old server hardware configuration ?
    2 "Which server software would be the best option for our small business? "
     is the server software which you said Mysql or maria database ?
    3 did you hear there are some function disappear in server 2019 essentials ?

server 2019 essentials
    https://www.theofficemaven.com/news/windows-server-2019-essentials

Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 15, 2019 11:12 AM
  • The current server hardware is old and needs replaced, which is why I'm looking into new hardware and a new software package to install on it.  Just trying to figure out which software would work best for our business.  We have a bunch of shared folders on our current server and a MS Access backend.  That's all that really needs moved over to the new server when we get it up and running.  In the future, we plan to upgrade our database to a MySQL, Maria or possibly a SQL database.  Just trying to plan for the future now.

Yes, I had read that Essentials 2019 was loosing some functionality.  Is Essentials 2016 still a good option, or should I just move over to Microsoft 365?  We don't use the cloud at the moment, but that could change in the future, as well.

Thanks for any insight!

Rick

Friday, March 15, 2019 4:51 PM
  • hi,
    1  MSSQL and MySQL all suitable for small business .
    MySQL have some version.(e.g. Enterprise Edition is also not free).There are some difference between MySQL and Microsoft SQL about syntax. Since solving technical problems is not a concern for small businesses, business sustainable development is.So for small business, consider whether there is a IT admin familiar with it when the database problem happened. If there is a it admin familiar with My SQL ,MSSQL is better. If not , I think MSSQL is better. At least ,Microsoft give you more support on Microsoft SQL forum.
    2 Is Essentials 2016 still a good option, or should I just move over to Microsoft 365?
    If you still can buy server essentials 2016 ,it is a better option.

A Comparison between MySQL vs. MS SQL Server
    https://medium.com/@mindfiresolutions.usa/a-comparison-between-mysql-vs-ms-sql-server-58b537e474be

Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

MSSQL MSDN forum
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/home

MSSQL technical forum

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?category=sqlserver

Thank you for your understanding and support, I hope above information to help you

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 18, 2019 3:32 AM
  • Is there anything to help you?

Tuesday, March 26, 2019 8:12 AM
  • Is there any progress on your question?

Sunday, March 31, 2019 9:43 AM