APP-V Adobe Reader and Local Adobe 9.3 Corruption? RRS feed

• Question

• Good Afternoon, I have been troubleshooting an issue we came across for the last couple of days.

We originally had Adobe Reader running as an APP-V package, however we required to switch everyone from using this to over to a locally installed version of Adobe Reader 9.3 which was pushed out via SCCM. Thankfully on the vast majority of people everyone switched over as expected without any issue. However we came across a few people where the local installation will not function correctly.

Error - When you try and open an adobe doc locally or on a network share you get the App-V client trying to launch and if you remove the App-V Client yoy get an error ' This action is only valid for products that are currently installed'. Opening an Adobe document WITHIN Adobe Reader works fine.

This must be an App-V corruption as I have tried the following:

1) Removing and re-installing Adobe Reader.

2) Removing and re-installing the App-V Client.

3) Tried re-doing file association in the GUI and registry compared to a working PC.

4) Tried using the MSI Repair/Removal tool and same results?

When the Softgrid version is re-enabled everything works ok again?

Has anyone come across any similar issues?

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 12:44 PM

Answers

• Hi All,

I'm hitting the same issue here. While working for the solution, I did a quick workaround to make it work. Just go to the HKR hive, find the affected extension. The (default) value should give some hints to the file format. For instance .pdf which associate with Acrobat Reader , it should reference to AcroExch.Document. Proceed to HKR\AcroExch.Document\Shell\Command. Rename the "command" value to "command.bak". Then it would read the value from the (Default) value.

Although I'm not sure what negative impact would it cause, but so far it works.

Desmond.
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 7:35 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Usually this means bad registry keys some-place.

Use process monitor to determine what is referenced during startup both when using the native installation and the softgrid package - then you will probably locate the missing pieces.

/Znack

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 12:55 PM
  • Narrow your search down to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes, where you'll most likely find file type assosications for .PDF etc still existing and pointing to the virtualised version of Reader.

Could you expand on your descision to move to the installed version of Reader? I'm keen to find out why virtualising Reader was not suitable.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 1:13 PM
  • Many thanks for you guys getting back to me. I've gone through every registry location I can think of in HKLM and HKCU CU etc, but I was unable to find anything? Are there any undocumented locations in the registry for Softgrid/App-V file association etc?

We originally rolled out Acrobat 8 to all staff via SoftGrid, and some people had issues when trying to view PDF file embedded in webpages, we found we had to roll out a locally installed copy of the application. This has resulted in all Vista PCs having these two (identical) versions of Acrobat on their PCs - the local one is used by IE, and the SoftGrid one is used when users open a PDF file manually.

Once we established that Acrobat Reader would have to be locally installed, we've always been keen to remove the SoftGrid version, but as it is used by all staff the fear was that we could not guarantee that everyone would reboot their PC when asked to do so, which would result in some people temporarily losing the ability to open acrobat files (as the Windows file type association would still point PDFs to the defunct SoftGrid app).

Any more troubleshooting ideas? I have a PC which still has the issue. At the moment we have re-image someone who has the issue. So far no Windows 7 people have the issue, only Vista.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 1:31 PM
  • There is probably a "conflict" on progid or file association level between the locally installed version of Adobe and the virtualized one.

Did you actually removed the virtualized version of Adobe from the App-V console before installing the local one? That should get rid of all the associations as well. I'm not sure if uninstalling the App-V client alone does the same trick (you only describe uninstalling in your list of fixes). You are using the same App-V client versions on 7 and Vista? Must be at least 4.5 SP1 if you are running 7?

What you also could try and do on broken machine is adding the virtualized Adobe package again. Check whether the associations work and then gracefully delete it again (using at least the "clear" option in the Client Management Console). This way App-V should get rid of all the associations for you. Maybe uninstall the local Adobe as well before doing this procedure.

If that doesn't work you should start looking at what the virtualized version of Adobe left on your machine. In my sequenced version of Adobe 8, the following ProgID and FileAssociations are in the OSD:

<MGMT_FILEASSOCIATIONS>
      <PROGIDLIST>
       <PROGID ID="EDNActivation" FRIENDLYNAME="Adobe DRM Activation File" EDITFLAGS="327680" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
        <ICON>%SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/AcroRd80 Icons/Adobe DRM Activation File.ico</ICON>
        <SHELLCOMMANDLIST DEFAULT="open">
         <SHELLCOMMAND NAME="open" FRIENDLYNAME="open" PARAMS="&quot;%1&quot;" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE"/>
        </SHELLCOMMANDLIST>
       </PROGID>
       <PROGID ID="EBXTransfer" FRIENDLYNAME="EBX Transfer Data File (7.0)" EDITFLAGS="65536" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
        <ICON>%SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/AcroRd80 Icons/EBX Transfer Data File (7.0).ico</ICON>
        <SHELLCOMMANDLIST DEFAULT="">
         <SHELLCOMMAND NAME="open" FRIENDLYNAME="open" PARAMS="&quot;%1&quot;" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE"/>
        </SHELLCOMMANDLIST>
       </PROGID>
       <PROGID ID="AcroExch.FDFDoc" FRIENDLYNAME="Adobe Acrobat Forms Document" EDITFLAGS="65536" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
        <ICON>%SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/AcroRd80 Icons/Adobe Acrobat Forms Document.ico</ICON>
        <SHELLCOMMANDLIST DEFAULT="Read">
         <SHELLCOMMAND NAME="Open" FRIENDLYNAME="Open" PARAMS="&quot;%1&quot;" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE"/>
         <SHELLCOMMAND NAME="Print" FRIENDLYNAME="Print" PARAMS="/p /h &quot;%1&quot;" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE"/>
         <SHELLCOMMAND NAME="Printto" FRIENDLYNAME="Printto" PARAMS="/t &quot;%1&quot; &quot;%2&quot; &quot;%3&quot; &quot;%4&quot;" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE"/>
         <SHELLCOMMAND NAME="Read" FRIENDLYNAME="Open with Adobe Reader 8" PARAMS="&quot;%1&quot;" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE"/>
        </SHELLCOMMANDLIST>
       </PROGID>
       <PROGID ID="AcroExch.Document.7" FRIENDLYNAME="Adobe Acrobat Document" EDITFLAGS="65536" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
        <ICON>%SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/AcroRd80 Icons/Adobe Acrobat Document.ico</ICON>
         <SHELLCOMMAND NAME="Open" FRIENDLYNAME="Open" PARAMS="&quot;%1&quot;" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE"/>
         <SHELLCOMMAND NAME="Print" FRIENDLYNAME="Print" PARAMS="/p /h &quot;%1&quot;" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE"/>
         <SHELLCOMMAND NAME="Printto" FRIENDLYNAME="Printto" PARAMS="/t &quot;%1&quot; &quot;%2&quot; &quot;%3&quot; &quot;%4&quot;" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE"/>
         <SHELLCOMMAND NAME="Read" FRIENDLYNAME="Open with Adobe Reader 8" PARAMS="&quot;%1&quot;" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE"/>
        </SHELLCOMMANDLIST>
       </PROGID>
       <PROGID ID="PDXFileType" FRIENDLYNAME="Acrobat Catalog Index" EDITFLAGS="0" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
        <ICON>%SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/AcroRd80 Icons/Acrobat Catalog Index.ico</ICON>
        </SHELLCOMMANDLIST>
       </PROGID>
       <PROGID ID="AcroExch.RMFFile" FRIENDLYNAME="AcroExch.RMFFile File" EDITFLAGS="65536" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
        <ICON>%SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/AcroRd80 Icons/AcroExch.RMFFile File.ico</ICON>
        </SHELLCOMMANDLIST>
       </PROGID>
       <PROGID ID="AcroExch.XDPDoc" FRIENDLYNAME="Adobe Acrobat XML Data Package File" EDITFLAGS="65536" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
        <ICON>%SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/AcroRd80 Icons/Adobe Acrobat XML Data Package File.ico</ICON>
        </SHELLCOMMANDLIST>
       </PROGID>
       <PROGID ID="AcroExch.XFDFDoc" FRIENDLYNAME="Adobe Acrobat Forms Document" EDITFLAGS="65536" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
        <ICON>%SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/AcroRd80 Icons/Adobe Acrobat Forms Document (1).ico</ICON>
        </SHELLCOMMANDLIST>
       </PROGID>
      </PROGIDLIST>
      <FILEEXTENSIONLIST>
       <FILEEXTENSION EXT="edn" PROGID="EDNActivation" PERCEIVEDTYPE="" CONTENTTYPE="application/vnd.adobe.edn" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
        <SHELLNEW ENABLED="FALSE"/>
       </FILEEXTENSION>
       <FILEEXTENSION EXT="etd" PROGID="EBXTransfer" PERCEIVEDTYPE="" CONTENTTYPE="application/x-ebx" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
       </FILEEXTENSION>
       <FILEEXTENSION EXT="fdf" PROGID="AcroExch.FDFDoc" PERCEIVEDTYPE="" CONTENTTYPE="application/vnd.fdf" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
       </FILEEXTENSION>
       <FILEEXTENSION EXT="pdf" PROGID="AcroExch.Document.7" PERCEIVEDTYPE="" CONTENTTYPE="application/pdf" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
       </FILEEXTENSION>
       <FILEEXTENSION EXT="pdx" PROGID="PDXFileType" PERCEIVEDTYPE="" CONTENTTYPE="application/vnd.adobe.pdx" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
       </FILEEXTENSION>
       <FILEEXTENSION EXT="rmf" PROGID="AcroExch.RMFFile" PERCEIVEDTYPE="" CONTENTTYPE="application/vnd.adobe.rmf" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
       </FILEEXTENSION>
       <FILEEXTENSION EXT="xdp" PROGID="AcroExch.XDPDoc" PERCEIVEDTYPE="" CONTENTTYPE="application/vnd.adobe.xdp+xml" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
       </FILEEXTENSION>
       <FILEEXTENSION EXT="xfdf" PROGID="AcroExch.XFDFDoc" PERCEIVEDTYPE="" CONTENTTYPE="application/vnd.adobe.xfdf" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
       </FILEEXTENSION>
      </FILEEXTENSIONLIST>
     </MGMT_FILEASSOCIATIONS>

Ment van der Plas
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 6:07 AM
    Answerer
  • Many thanks for the respone. I tried the following steps, but sadly still has the same issue.

1) Re-enabled the App-V Adobe Reader 8.0 and PDF's open fine again.

2) Uninstalled the local Adobe 9.3 Reader version.

3) App-V Adobe Reader 8.0 tested and still working.

4) I cleared the App-V Adobe Reader 8.0 in the App-V Console.

5) Re-installed Adobe Reader 9.3 locally.

6) Tested and still had the error - This action is only valid for products that are currently installed

7)  Un-installed again

8) Removed all Adobe registry settings manually

9) Cleared App-V Adobe 8.0 in the Console

10) Installed Adobe Reader 9.3 and still has the same error!

Any other things to try?

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 12:44 PM
  • Have you determined if the issue is related to the machine or the user profile? i.e. if you log into an affected machine with a new profile does the issue persist? 

That might give you some indication as to where the issue is.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 2:06 PM
  • Hi Aaron,

It seems to be machine related as an affected user can logon another PC and all is ok. If I or any user logs on the problem PC and we get the same issue Adobe error. I even get the same error if I installed Adobe Writer locally as well! Very frustrating.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 2:16 PM
  • Hello,

well, effectively you should be able to locate what an Adobe FTA is about just by looking in your package - it should all be there....

/Znack
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 2:16 PM
  • Apologies, but what do you mean Adobe FTA? I'm fairly new to App-V.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 2:21 PM
  • Hello,

Adobe FTA has nothing todo with App-v.

FTA stands for File type association - its simply the stuff that makes you clicking a file open the right application. As the sequencer (obviously) has picked up this and made it work using a virtual application - it should all be visible within the virtual package.

What areas to focus on Aaron already mentioned above, and I already gave the suggestion of using Process Monitor to determine what happens when clicking an icon - but you should be able to locate what an adbobe file type association is all about in the package - information then used to determine what is essentially improperly set on your workstations.

/Znack

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 2:35 PM
  • Sorry, didn't recognise the acronym. I'm very familiar with file association. I've been looking through the registry and comparing Adobe Reader 9.3 locally with the virtual registry of the 8.0 App-V version in SFT Explorer and to be honest there loads of differences, so not sure where to narrow the search down to?

I did also run Process Monitor and compared the working PC with the problem PC. Again nothing really jumped out at me from filtering the logs?

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 3:37 PM
  • Where you using App-V Management server or SCCM to deploy the Virtualized Adobe Reader?

Either way I recommend NOT to uninstall the App-V Client, at least during a phase-out period.

So, you'd make sure that you have a nicely configured App-V Client on the machines.

Then, if using the App-V Management Server, make sure Adobe Reader is published threre but disable it (there is a checkbox for that),

If using SCCM, I'd advertise the virtualized Adobe Reader (again), then let it uninstall by SCCM, then advertise the physical Adobe Reader again.

In fact there might be conflicts between FTAs of a physsical vs. virtual application, but using the steps above you should create a quite "well defined" state.

What's inside the package (Virtual Registry) doesn't really matter in your case, because it remains virtual. To compare FTAs set by the App-V package, you should look into the OSD file(s) as Ment suggested.

Falko
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 4:00 PM
  • The intention of looking inside the virtual package for FTA information was perhaps not to think it was relevant in terms of disturbance, but more a way to create a good picture of where Adobe sets keys to set up its FTAs.

Since you are using a SCCM distribution you could use a task-sequence to make sure that a removal, reboot and install of reader in a correct and controlled sequence.

Process Monitor usually never lets anything jump out at you - it does however tell you what is happening.

/Znack

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 4:40 PM
  • Morning Folks,

I compared the OSD regsitry settings and removed all reference to the softgrid Adobe that were lurking in the O/S and still get the error message. I must stress that this only seems to have happened on a handful of Vista PC's, and from what I can tell and old build. The only fix we have is to re-image their PC's.

OSD Details:

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
    <SOFTPKG GUID="0A45B258-8D74-488A-B629-75065141C804" NAME="Adobe Reader 8" VERSION="003">
     <IMPLEMENTATION>
      <CODEBASE HREF="rtsp://Softgridvas:554/Acrobat_Reader_v8_UK_MNT_ACRRD8UK.003/Acrobat_Reader_v8_UK_MNT_ACRRD8UK.003.sft" GUID="E1F5521D-D34B-4643-967E-3E496286F91D" PARAMETERS="" FILENAME="ACRRD8UK.003\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" SYSGUARDFILE="ACRRD8UK.003\osguard.cp" SIZE="203557036"/>
      <OS VALUE="WinVista"/>
      <OS VALUE="Win2008TS"/>
      <OS VALUE="Win7"/>
      <WORKINGDIR/>
      <VIRTUALENV TERMINATECHILDREN="FALSE">
       <ENVLIST/>
       <POLICIES>
        <LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED>TRUE</LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED>
       </POLICIES>
      </VIRTUALENV>
      <VM VALUE="Win32">
       <SUBSYSTEM VALUE="windows"/>
      </VM>
     </IMPLEMENTATION>
     <DEPENDENCY>
      <CLIENTVERSION VERSION="3.1.2.2"/>
     </DEPENDENCY>
     <SUITE NAME="Acrobat_Reader_v8_UK_MNT_ACRRD8UK.003"/>
     <TITLE>Scott Saunders</TITLE>
     <ABSTRACT>Windows Vista with IE7
    SoftGrid Sequencer 4.2
    14th August 2007</ABSTRACT>
     <MGMT_SHORTCUTLIST>
      <SHORTCUT LOCATION="%CSIDL_DESKTOPDIRECTORY%" FILENAME="Adobe Reader 8.lnk" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE" DISPLAY="Adobe Reader 8" ICON="%SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/Acrobat_Reader_v8_UK_MNT_ACRRD8UK.003 Icons/Acrobat_Reader_v8_UK_MNT_ACRRD8UK.003.ico"/>
      <SHORTCUT LOCATION="%CSIDL_PROGRAMS%" FILENAME="Adobe Reader 8.lnk" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE" DISPLAY="Adobe Reader 8" ICON="%SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/Acrobat_Reader_v8_UK_MNT_ACRRD8UK.003 Icons/Acrobat_Reader_v8_UK_MNT_ACRRD8UK.003.ico"/>
     </MGMT_SHORTCUTLIST>
     <MGMT_FILEASSOCIATIONS>
      <PROGIDLIST>
       <PROGID ID="EDNActivation" FRIENDLYNAME="Adobe DRM Activation File" EDITFLAGS="327680" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
        <ICON>%SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/Acrobat_Reader_v8_UK_MNT_ACRRD8UK.003 Icons/Adobe DRM Activation File.ico</ICON>
        <SHELLCOMMANDLIST DEFAULT="open">
        </SHELLCOMMANDLIST>
       </PROGID>
       <PROGID ID="EBXTransfer" FRIENDLYNAME="EBX Transfer Data File (7.0)" EDITFLAGS="65536" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
        <ICON>%SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/Acrobat_Reader_v8_UK_MNT_ACRRD8UK.003 Icons/EBX Transfer Data File (7.0).ico</ICON>
        </SHELLCOMMANDLIST>
       </PROGID>
       <PROGID ID="AcroExch.FDFDoc" FRIENDLYNAME="Adobe Acrobat Forms Document" EDITFLAGS="65536" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
        <ICON>%SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/Acrobat_Reader_v8_UK_MNT_ACRRD8UK.003 Icons/Adobe Acrobat Forms Document.ico</ICON>
        </SHELLCOMMANDLIST>
       </PROGID>
       <PROGID ID="AcroExch.Document.7" FRIENDLYNAME="Adobe Acrobat Document" EDITFLAGS="65536" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
        <ICON>%SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/Acrobat_Reader_v8_UK_MNT_ACRRD8UK.003 Icons/Adobe Acrobat Document.ico</ICON>
        </SHELLCOMMANDLIST>
       </PROGID>
       <PROGID ID="PDXFileType" FRIENDLYNAME="Acrobat Catalog Index" EDITFLAGS="0" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
        <ICON>%SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/Acrobat_Reader_v8_UK_MNT_ACRRD8UK.003 Icons/Acrobat Catalog Index.ico</ICON>
        </SHELLCOMMANDLIST>
       </PROGID>
       <PROGID ID="AcroExch.RMFFile" FRIENDLYNAME="AcroExch.RMFFile File" EDITFLAGS="65536" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
        <ICON>%SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/Acrobat_Reader_v8_UK_MNT_ACRRD8UK.003 Icons/AcroExch.RMFFile File.ico</ICON>
        </SHELLCOMMANDLIST>
       </PROGID>
       <PROGID ID="AcroExch.XDPDoc" FRIENDLYNAME="Adobe Acrobat XML Data Package File" EDITFLAGS="65536" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
        <ICON>%SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/Acrobat_Reader_v8_UK_MNT_ACRRD8UK.003 Icons/Adobe Acrobat XML Data Package File.ico</ICON>
        </SHELLCOMMANDLIST>
       </PROGID>
       <PROGID ID="AcroExch.XFDFDoc" FRIENDLYNAME="Adobe Acrobat Forms Document" EDITFLAGS="65536" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
        <ICON>%SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/Acrobat_Reader_v8_UK_MNT_ACRRD8UK.003 Icons/Adobe Acrobat Forms Document (1).ico</ICON>
        </SHELLCOMMANDLIST>
       </PROGID>
      </PROGIDLIST>
      <FILEEXTENSIONLIST>
       <FILEEXTENSION EXT="edn" PROGID="EDNActivation" PERCEIVEDTYPE="" CONTENTTYPE="application/vnd.adobe.edn" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
       </FILEEXTENSION>
       <FILEEXTENSION EXT="etd" PROGID="EBXTransfer" PERCEIVEDTYPE="" CONTENTTYPE="application/x-ebx" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
       </FILEEXTENSION>
       <FILEEXTENSION EXT="fdf" PROGID="AcroExch.FDFDoc" PERCEIVEDTYPE="" CONTENTTYPE="application/vnd.fdf" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
       </FILEEXTENSION>
       <FILEEXTENSION EXT="pdf" PROGID="AcroExch.Document.7" PERCEIVEDTYPE="" CONTENTTYPE="application/pdf" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
       </FILEEXTENSION>
       <FILEEXTENSION EXT="pdx" PROGID="PDXFileType" PERCEIVEDTYPE="" CONTENTTYPE="application/vnd.adobe.pdx" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
       </FILEEXTENSION>
       <FILEEXTENSION EXT="rmf" PROGID="AcroExch.RMFFile" PERCEIVEDTYPE="" CONTENTTYPE="application/vnd.adobe.rmf" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
       </FILEEXTENSION>
       <FILEEXTENSION EXT="xdp" PROGID="AcroExch.XDPDoc" PERCEIVEDTYPE="" CONTENTTYPE="application/vnd.adobe.xdp+xml" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
       </FILEEXTENSION>
       <FILEEXTENSION EXT="xfdf" PROGID="AcroExch.XFDFDoc" PERCEIVEDTYPE="" CONTENTTYPE="application/vnd.adobe.xfdf" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE">
       </FILEEXTENSION>
      </FILEEXTENSIONLIST>
     </MGMT_FILEASSOCIATIONS>
    </SOFTPKG>

Thursday, April 8, 2010 8:55 AM
  • Saturday, May 1, 2010 10:25 PM
  • Hi All,

I'm hitting the same issue here. While working for the solution, I did a quick workaround to make it work. Just go to the HKR hive, find the affected extension. The (default) value should give some hints to the file format. For instance .pdf which associate with Acrobat Reader , it should reference to AcroExch.Document. Proceed to HKR\AcroExch.Document\Shell\Command. Rename the "command" value to "command.bak". Then it would read the value from the (Default) value.

Desmond.
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 7:35 AM
  • Hi All,

Desmond.

Thanks for this Fix, this worked for me as well. I just deleted the key since we are no longer virtualizing Adobe Reader.
    Monday, July 25, 2011 6:27 PM