none
Problems configuring DPM RRS feed

• Question

• We have a verfy small company and very simple protection requirements. What we would like to do is the Following:

Mon - Thur  do a full backup to to tape (keep these tapes for two weeks)
    Every Friday do a full backup to tape (keep for five weeks)
    Last day of month do a full backup to tape (goes off site and kept for at least 1 year)
    Last day of year do a full backup to tape (goses off line and kep for at leat 5 years)

What I've done so far is this: I've selected both short-term protection using tape and long-term protection using tape
    For Short Term Protection:
      Retention Range: 2 week
      Frequency of Backup: Daily
      Backup Mode: Only full backup
      checked Monday through Thursday
    For Long Term Protection:
      1 recovery point every 1 for the last 4 weeks
      1 recovery point every 1 month for last 3 month
      1 recovery point every 1 year for tha last 1 year

The Short terms backups are working fine. I have nine tapes that I rotate though. The long term ones are giving me fits though. Last Friday I put in a blank tape and Saturday I looked and found the the jobs failed.  All the alerts are saying "Failed to perform the operation since the tape free tape is not available in Stand Alone Drive Tape Library Hewlet Packard DAT160 USB dirve (id 24050). Some of the alerts also show

Failed to perform the operation since the tape PG 1-00000017 is not available in Stand Alone Drive Tape Library Hewlett Packard DAT160 USB drive (ID 24050)

". PG 1 - 00000017 was the tape the was completed on Thursday.

I'm pretty new to this whole DPM think so any advice would be greatly apprecieated.

Thanks

Monday, April 18, 2011 5:31 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Jacob,

DPM is a realy nice product but in my opinion not that flexible. That can be a problem in small companies.

I think your problem lies in the Retention time for the long term protection and the amount of tapes you are using.

Based on your companies Protection requirements you need to configure the longterm protection like this:

1 recovery point ever 1 day for the last 2 weeks with 9 tapes
    1 recovery point ever 1 week for the last 5 weeks with 6 tapes (friday)
    1 recovery point ever 1 month for the last 12 months with 13 tapes

Since DPM can only hold 3 protection goals you cannot add the requirement for the year tape. How ever you can add more tapes to the monthly cycle and bring the last month tape of every year offsite for 5 years.

I hope this info brings some light on your case.

Best regards

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 12:50 PM
  • Actually the real problem is that When it gets to Friday it want to make a copy of the Thurday tape. So it fails the dataset copy because we just have one tape drive. There doesn't seem to be any way to tell DPM that that the Weekly and Montly recorvery points to just write to the tape and not try and make a copy of the recovery point from Thursday. It seems that it would work if we wrote the dailys to a disk then the weekly and monthly could copy that recovery point from disk to tape. Am I missing somthing?
    Monday, May 2, 2011 4:59 PM
  • Hi Jacob, how are you ?

I start using DPM 2010 1 year ago, but i never use tape backup, only shot-term disk. Until now, everything works great.

But now, we have to buy a tape drive. And i found: HP DAT 160 USB Internal Tape Drive (Q1580A).
    Microsoft and Hp can´t answer a simple question: IS Microsoft DPM COMPATIBLE with this Tape Drive ?

I look that you have a very similar (or equal) tape drive. Is is compatible ?
    Can I safely buy this one ?

Thanks.

Patrick Roberto

Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:30 AM
  • Hello Patrick,

If the tape drive is compatible with the Windows operating system on which DPM is running, it will work with DPM. The best source to find out if hardware is compatible is the Windows Server Catalog. If this is the correct drive then it appears to be compatible with Windows Server 2003, 2008 and 2008 R2.

http://www.windowsservercatalog.com/item.aspx?idItem=c618e0be-4244-2404-a0b0-6d4855e2f0e5&bCatID=1370

Thanks,

Marc

Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:14 PM
  • housekeeping - closing old post.  Open a new post if you still have a need.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 3:33 PM