windows 7 freezes 10 seconds after login. RRS feed

• Question

•      so far i'v read alooooot about how i can try and fix this. i'v tried downloading a free registry fixer and anti virus. oh and it will only run in safe mode. so i read it could be drivers so i updated my drivers as well. now just before this problem started i was watching a movie and my cat disconnected my power cord, also i had windows live essentials updating in the background. i rebooted the PC and now it just freezes 10 seconds after logging in. i'v also tried the repair option and restoring it to as far back as i could go.

when i try and uninstall windows live essentials it won't let me i'v also tried repairing it and nothing worked. i'v basically got nothing left to do i can think of and i know i could re-install windows but i can't find the disk anywhere so i'd pretty much have to re buy windows 7.

pc specs

intel core i5 760 quad core 2.8ghz

16gigs of ddr3 ran 1333hz

ati radeon 5770

Friday, June 1, 2012 5:50 AM

Answers

• You are lucky that it is running in safe mode. Start Windows in safe mode. Open computer. Right click on your system drive and click properties>tools>check now. Tick the first option and click start. System will ask for a reboot. Click Schedule disk check and then start Windows  normally. A disk check will occur which will fix any corrupted files that may be caused by the power cut. System will reboot automatically again and then it should work properly. Check.
    • Marked as answer by undertakeru0 Saturday, June 2, 2012 5:41 AM
    Friday, June 1, 2012 8:24 PM

All replies

• You are lucky that it is running in safe mode. Start Windows in safe mode. Open computer. Right click on your system drive and click properties>tools>check now. Tick the first option and click start. System will ask for a reboot. Click Schedule disk check and then start Windows  normally. A disk check will occur which will fix any corrupted files that may be caused by the power cut. System will reboot automatically again and then it should work properly. Check.
    • Marked as answer by undertakeru0 Saturday, June 2, 2012 5:41 AM
    Friday, June 1, 2012 8:24 PM
  • omg ty soooo much i did what you told me and it didn't work it found no errors but then i checked the second boss and did it again and it took a couple hours and it found a bad cluster and fixed it now it works fine =D
    Saturday, June 2, 2012 5:41 AM
  • You are welcome. :-) Actually, having a bad cluster is usually uncommon these days and it takes a long time as you said to scan for bad clusters. That's why I told you to check the first option only. For me, it is 4 years since I kept that option unchecked even after numerous failures due to overclocking experiments.
    Saturday, June 2, 2012 8:25 AM