All local admin accounts are disabled after creation of standard user RRS feed

• Question

• Here's my scenario.  I have a Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 machine setup for standalone use.  I am using local group policy to lock down many settings.  I have 4 accounts in the local administrators group (admin accounts).  The real administrator is disabled.  Here's what's happening:  If I create a new standard user from the control panel, all admin accounts get disabled immediately.  I checked the admin accounts settings before and after the new user is created and the disabled checkmark appeared during the process.  Now, when I create a new user using the computer management console vs. the control panel, it works fine.  The difference is that in the computer management console, you must set a password at the time of account creation vs. in the control panel you create an account with no password.  So, my guess is that somewhere in my group policy, it doesn't like an account being created without a password, but why would that disable all administrator accounts?  Has anyone else experienced this?

Thursday, June 23, 2016 12:36 AM

Answers

• Hi Bytewave,

Based on my research, if all the Administrator accounts has been disabled, the build-in Administrator will be activated automatically in Safe mode. So you can boot the computer to safe mode and log into windows by Administrator:

1.Restart your computer.
    2. Press F8 early and repeatedly while booting( don't hold it down), and the Safe Mode menu screen should show up
    3. You should have two account, log on Administrator(if it is first time to login to windows by Administrator,  it will take a while to prepare for initialization)
    4.After you log in the system, click start, right –click Computer, and then click manage
    5. Expand Local User and Groups, click User folder,
    6. Double-click your account in the right margin,
    7. In the General tab, uncheck “Account is disabled” and click Apply.
    8. Close the window and restart your computer. Your account is back.

PS: If Administrator account does not appear in Safe Mode, try to restore your system to prior status as a try. You can boot the computer to windows recovery mode to perform the system restore:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, June 24, 2016 7:02 AM