WSUS 3.0SP2 error : Upstream synchronization failed with OutOfMemoryException RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Since august 14, I had a synchronization Failed with Microsoft Update from my upstream WSUS 3.0SP2 on Windows server 2008 Enterprise SP2 (x86).

With error :

OutOfMemoryException: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.

at System.String.Replace(String oldValue, String newValue)

at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.XmlUpdateParser.Escape(String input)

at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.XmlUpdateParser.UpdateToFragments(String publishedXml, Boolean escapeFragments, ArrayList languages)

at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.CommonDataAccess.ImportUpdate(Int32 ussRevLocalId, String xmlUpdateBlob, Byte[] xmlUpdateBlobCompressed, String xmlSdpBlob, Int32& localRevisionId)

at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.CommonDataAccess.ImportUpdateWithFileUrls(Int32 upstreamServerLocalId, String xmlUpdateBlob, Byte[] xmlUpdateBlobCompressed, String xmlSdpBlob, ServerSyncUrlData[] fileUrls, Boolean setCatalogSiteFlag, Guid updateId)

at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.CatalogSyncAgentCore.ImportSingleUpdate(ServerSyncUpdateData updateData, List`1 allFileUrls)

at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.CatalogSyncAgentCore.ImportMultipleUpdates(List`1 metadata, List`

I’ve noticed that the OOM exception arrived each time during the synchronization when the wsusservice.exe used more than 800MB of Memory Private bytes.

So I’ve tried this :

1. Increase the Virtual address space with the dos command : bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072
    2. Re-index the WSUS database (SUSDB) by using the SQL script from The Scripting Guys: Re-index the WSUS Database. (SUSDB on SQL server 2008 installed on a dedicated server under Windows server 2008 R2)
    3. Install the Hotfix for Windows Server Update Services 3.0 SP2 KB4039929 (An update to improve the performance of update metadata processing on Windows Server Update Services)
    4. Try different configuration for Wsuspool in IIS 6.0 (even if the process w3wp.exe never get in High CPU and High Memory)
    5. Try different configuration of web.config of the webservice ”serversyncwebservice”.

And the synchronization were always failed.

Finally, last Friday, I found an article “WSUS synchronization fails with SoapException” (https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4482416/wsus-synchronization-fails-with-soapexception)

I changed with powershell the value of RedirectorChangeNumber from “0” to “4002",

let MUUrl with the value "https://sws.update.microsoft.com".

and the next manual synchronization was succeded and my Upstream got new Updates.

Since this correction, the automatic synchronizations at night are always succeeded but I get new errors in the SoftwareDistribution.log like this :

2019-09-17 08:20:42.595 UTC              Warning  w3wp.5   SoapUtilities.CreateException              ThrowException: actor = http://wsusrac.intra.groupama.fr/ReportingWebService/ReportingWebService.asmx, ID=2f43c384-af40-4488-af7b-3113bb44ae3d, ErrorCode=InvalidCookie, Message=, Client=?

2019-09-17 08:20:42.595 UTC              Error        w3wp.5   WebService.ReportEventBatch             Exception occured in ReportEventBatch: Fault occurred

at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.Reporting.WebService.ReportEventBatch(Cookie cookie, DateTime clientTime, ReportingEvent[] eventBatch)

So, my question is : Are the parameters RedirectorChangeNumber to 4002 and MUUrl to https://sws.update.microsoft.com really good for a UPstream WSUS 3.0SP2 on Windows server 2008 Enterprise SP2 (x86) ?

UPstream server version  : 3.2.7600.307 (hotfix KB2720211 + KB2828185 + KB4484071 + KB4039929 )

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 12:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Luis,

OutOfMemoryException: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.

There are two reasons why you might see an OOM condition.

1. Your process is using a lot of memory (typically over 800MB.)
    2. The virtual address space is fragmented, reducing the likelihood that a large, contiguous allocation will succeed.

It's also possible to see an OOM condition due to a combination of 1 and 2.
    So back in the upstream and downstream environment of WSUS, you can start with the following checks:

• Please check if there are multiple updates that approved on the upstream WSUS server. Please decrease the approved update numbers.
    • Decline superseded and useless updates both on upstream server and downstream server,  then run Server Cleanup Wizard.
    • Also increase the Private Memory Limit both on downstream server and upstream server.

So, my question is : Are the parameters RedirectorChangeNumber to 4002 and MUUrl to https://sws.update.microsoft.com really good for a UPstream WSUS 3.0SP2 on Windows server 2008 Enterprise SP2 (x86) ?

As you can see in the article, the "fe2.update.microsoft.com" endpoint is completely retired, so changing the sync endpoint to "sws.update.microsoft.com" on the top-level WSUS server resolves this issue.
    But I think that the upstream and downstream synchronization problems you are currently experiencing should be irrelevant to this adjustment.

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 1:36 AM
  • Hi,

Any update is welcome here.
    If the issue is resolved, share your solution or find the helpful response "Mark as Answer" to help other community members find the answer.

Thank you for your cooperation, as always.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 7:59 AM