Power Pivot queries RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. I'm reading a book and the author says "the simplest possible query retrieves all the columns and rows from existing table"

The code is EVALUATE Product. But what do I do with this? Where do I put it? It's not really a measure or a calculated column...he calls it a table query. 

Then he adds additional code taht I still don't get: 

EVALUATE Product

ORDER BY

Product[Color],

Product[Brand] ASC, 

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 8:15 PM

Answers

• You're probably reading a book on SSAS Tabular (or from authors that come from that background). SSAS can be used as a source for reporting tools (like SSRS) designed to work against a database, thus requiring a table of data normally resulting from a SQL query. DAX table expressions with EVALUATE can be used for this as well when you're working on SSAS Tabular (or Power Pivot for that matter). DAX even contains functions that are specifically designed for this purpose, like SUMMARIZE. When working in a Power Pivot model with output in Excel or Power BI you don't normally use these techniques, as the reporting tools function more like pivot tables in Excel, and DAX is used for creating measures or calculated fields.

Your own reply is about so-called DAX Query, which kind of does this in Excel but is not a strong reporting technique.

• Proposed as answer by Charlie Liao Saturday, August 6, 2016 5:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by Charlie Liao Monday, August 22, 2016 1:57 AM
    Friday, August 5, 2016 7:14 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• I realized you can use existing connections, and then edit DAX but then every time you want to change you have to go the process again, which seems sort of dumb. 
    Wednesday, August 3, 2016 10:58 PM
  • You're probably reading a book on SSAS Tabular (or from authors that come from that background). SSAS can be used as a source for reporting tools (like SSRS) designed to work against a database, thus requiring a table of data normally resulting from a SQL query. DAX table expressions with EVALUATE can be used for this as well when you're working on SSAS Tabular (or Power Pivot for that matter). DAX even contains functions that are specifically designed for this purpose, like SUMMARIZE. When working in a Power Pivot model with output in Excel or Power BI you don't normally use these techniques, as the reporting tools function more like pivot tables in Excel, and DAX is used for creating measures or calculated fields.

Your own reply is about so-called DAX Query, which kind of does this in Excel but is not a strong reporting technique.

• Proposed as answer by Charlie Liao Saturday, August 6, 2016 5:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by Charlie Liao Monday, August 22, 2016 1:57 AM
    Friday, August 5, 2016 7:14 AM
    Answerer
  • Gotcha. Thank you kindly. 
    Tuesday, August 23, 2016 6:22 PM