Printer installation RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to give local users the ability to add printers to the local system with steady state installed?  If so... will this also allow them to install other software too?

Our users have laptops that they take home and use... they need to be able to use their home printers... I’m hoping to avoid them having to load their printer every time they connect to it and avoid having to load random printers.  Any suggestions?

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 7:29 PM

Answers

• That's a tough situation. Since you're users have different printers each time someone takes the laptop home, the user account, if it is not an Admin level account, won't allow them to install a printer. Giving them admin level privileges will - but it will also allow them to install other software. Now, if you are using the Steaty States Disk Protection tool, or something similar like Deep Freeze, who cares, a reboot will wipe off that software - but also the printer they installed, so yes, they would have to continually install the printer whenever they took the laptop home. I'm not sure if a different level user (network user, power user) allows printer to be installed without allowing additional software installation, maybe someone else does. Not sure what windows version you're using. I might suggest if you have a finite number of users taking one laptop home, or one laptop each, to have them bring in their printer :D and just install the drivers for it within a separate admin account.  (yeah, that's a lot of work, I know).  Lastly, maybe have your company purchase a web based printing solution like GoPrint, or PrinterOn where they can print from any location to a specified printer, say, in your office. Just leave the printer on at the location, and anyone can print to it over the web.

http://www.printeron.net/

No, I don't work for them. I'm just a lowly self-aware military AI ......... ;)

Philip
    Jealousy is not proof of love, nor proof of emotional immaturity
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Tuesday, March 2, 2010 6:40 AM
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 3:06 PM